News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2021

Started by Halichoeres, October 05, 2020, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

I feel it's a shame that all three of the "pure" dinosaurs are theropods, though they are well executed, as one would expect from Safari.  I might just possibly consider the Daspletosaurus. But it's more likely that I'll pass on all three. I have several Baryonyx already, and the little Kaiyodo Spinosaurus arrived yesterday, plus I'm planning to order the PNSO version. 

Justin_

I'll wait for reviews and in-hand pictures of the Daspletosaurus. What I like most from all the new releases are the black caiman and arapaima from the South American toob.

Nanuqsaurus

Safari sure loves that ''yellow/ochre with brown/black stripes'' coloration like they have on the new Baryonyx.

Dinoxels

Might as well copy and paste my thoughts from my Instagram posts onto here.

Starting off the 2021 reveals with a bang is the new Baryonyx. While the colors feel similar they are applied in a way that doesn't feel repetitive from other figures from Safari Ltd.. The pose is dynamic and is a very well balanced biped, adding to the spectacular factor on the figure. My only gripe is a minor scientific nitpick, that being that head has some weird inconsistencies with the fossil material. Otherwise it's an amazing figure from an amazing company.

The Daspletosaurus! This new addition to the Tyrannosaur range from Safari Ltd. does not disappoint. With spectacular detail and spectacular colors, what could you hate here! Okay, maybe it looks a little weird when you look at it looking down, but when are you gonna be doing that?! Oh also I love the eye. Contrasts really nice with the green. Overall a spectacular addition to Safari Ltd.'s 2021 Lineup.

The Spinosaurus! This has quickly become my new favorite Spinosaurus figure, putting to shame Safari Ltd.'s previous attempt at this genus. This appears to be from an entirely new sculptor, as bright colors and this type of detail really do not feel like it was made by Doug Watson or Forrest Rogers. The colors are spectacular, bright enough to not feel cartoony but still amazing. My only issues are that it's walking on its knuckles, had black holes for eyes, and appears to be slightly shrink wrapped. I was expecting this figure to be rushed because of how quick it was being made in response to the new tail fin discovery but instead it's become one of my new favorite Safari Ltd. figures.

Overall really pleased with this lineup. As they say, quality over quantity.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Dinoxels

Quote from: Bread on November 18, 2020, 03:37:53 AM
Does anyone know when these will be released?
Pretty sure I remember the dates being mid-December for the Baryonyx and January for the Daspletosaurus and Spinosaurus.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

indohyus

Might grab the Daspletosaurus. Are there only other releases expected, or is this all for the prehistoric figures?

Jose S.M.

For now looks like these are all of them. There seems to be no indication of more figures, but who knows.

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

suspsy

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 18, 2020, 07:55:49 AM
God. The Spino looks SO lazy

What do you mean by "lazy"? Are you saying that the animal itself looks lazy? If so, why is that a problem? Lots of carnivorous animals spend a good deal of their time being lazy.

And if you're saying that the artist did a lazy job of sculpting, well, I have no clue what you're talking about.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Bread

Quote from: Dinoxels on November 18, 2020, 10:50:24 AM
Quote from: Bread on November 18, 2020, 03:37:53 AM
Does anyone know when these will be released?
Pretty sure I remember the dates being mid-December for the Baryonyx and January for the Daspletosaurus and Spinosaurus.
Thank you. I am a little disappointed that we have to wait a about 2 months for these figures. I was hoping to be able to purchase them all in a bundle during December, due to Safari's 25% off holiday sale.

I have already stated my opinions of the three models on the previous page (basically I love them all) but I want to state my opinion of these two armored figures:
I have to compliment the Armored Triceratops. The colors on it are really nice. I even prefer the color choices on the armored triceratops than their previous 2018 Triceratops. The armor on it is disappointing, but I still think it is a nice figure.
As for the armored Tyrannosaurus, the colors are alright. It reminds me of a standard Lost World Tyrannosaurus. Similar to the triceratops, the armor ruins it. I actually don't mind the articulated jaw, but I like how safari figures are. Hopefully they don't continue this with their main dinosaur line.

I have to say I think these armored dinosaurs are interesting. I understand the disappointment for just receiving three figures for their main dinosaur 2021 line, but these two armored dinosaurs are pretty decent if you ask me.

GojiraGuy1954

Andy's Dinosaur Reviews uploaded a review of the Daspletosaurus
https://youtu.be/G6HPA_fFruc
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Jose S.M.

The teeth look better in the video than in the promo shots. And that was the only part I didn't love about the Daspletosaurus so I'm pretty happy!

GojiraGuy1954

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: suspsy on November 18, 2020, 01:57:41 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 18, 2020, 07:55:49 AM
God. The Spino looks SO lazy

What do you mean by "lazy"? Are you saying that the animal itself looks lazy? If so, why is that a problem? Lots of carnivorous animals spend a good deal of their time being lazy.

And if you're saying that the artist did a lazy job of sculpting, well, I have no clue what you're talking about.
There's barely any detail, it's out of proportion, the hands look outright unfinished, and it looks like the colour scheme was chosen by a five year old. Definite pass.

paintingdinos

Hmmm,  well, I actually like it better seeing the video. The colors are less garish and the front hands don't look quite so cartoonish in 3D.

The extremely prominent scutes are a little offputting. From a distance, it actually looks like its crocheted. Changed my mind, though, will probably get this.

Faelrin

Watching that video on the Spinosaurus has majorly helped in changing my mind with the coloration. Much better then the pic on the site. Only minor issues appear to be the first toe on the foot is not weight bearing, other then the minor shrinkwrapping on the head. Otherwise pretty decent take on it.

It is also really small. I am wondering how it will compare with PNSO's new one as that is also on the smaller side. May have been done to not compete with the recent 2019 one? Or maybe it was just cheaper to produce it smaller.

I'll have to check out the video on the Daspletosaurus as well next.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

As usual, the Safari ltd promo pics don't do justice to these figures.

The Daspletosaurus looks phenomenal. Definitely an improvement over the Qianzhousaurus.

The Spinosaurus looks surprisingly decent, really appreciate the elegancy of it. Though certain aspects detracts from the quality of the figure.
- The hand and arm sculpt is rather unrefined, which is weird considering how delicately sculpted the rest of the figure is. It just looks misshapen and clunky.
- The lack of a weight-bearing digit 1 is a very odd exclusion, especially since most of the figure's anatomy is spot on.
- The shrinkwrapping on the head is very noticable. The oddly large and sunken fenestrae almost looks like the sculptor accidentally pressed the clay in a little too hard during the sculpting process.
- Nitpicking here, but I'm not a big fan of how large and prominent the scales are. Especially since the figure is at such a small scale, the individual scales feel oversized.

Shonisaurus

The two figures are fabulous. The daspletosaurus is quite a realistic figure, with realistic colors and lips. It is the best daspletosaurus that I have news that exists in the toy dinosaur market, it has a very well detailed mouth that looks like the detailed mouth of a very high quality dinosaur.

The spinosaurus from Safari 2021 is very colorful and very well sculpted. Its claws are very well sculpted and its artistic decoration I like a lot but from what I see unfortunately it is very small.

What I celebrate is that Safari continues to make theropods without jointed jaws, it is one of the things I like the most about Safari dinosaurs, apart from their scientific precision and their exceptional and outstanding modeling.

Prehistory Resurrection

https://youtu.be/gnACmcK4qsw

Not everyone's cup of tea, like mine, but the JP- inspired design combined with the armor really contribute to make this figure a fun and cool one, especially one that may be appealing for kids. Safari Ltd in my opinion has gifted both the collector community and the young community for 2021-main market segments for Safari Ltd.

Jose S.M.

I'm still waiting to see if CollectA releases a Spinosaurus but if not I think I already decides which will be in my collection. It's a Safari one but not this 2021 one. I decided to get the 2019 one and customize its tail and repaint it. I've being wanting to customize or repaint something but none of my current figures needs it so that is a perfect opportunity!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: