News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2021

Started by Halichoeres, October 05, 2020, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: Takama on October 07, 2020, 12:57:55 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on October 07, 2020, 12:19:56 AM
Quote from: Loon on October 07, 2020, 12:01:10 AM
Quote from: suspsy on October 06, 2020, 10:22:40 PM
Some people would rather eat McDonald's than a nice grilled steak with potatoes.

Analogy aside, I am very much one of these people when it comes to food. Yes, I am that disgusting.

Can I swap the McDonalds for a pizza and wings? If so then I'm also one of those people.

I don't even remember what Schleich released this year, that should tell you something.

Baryonyx
Cryolophosaurus
Postosuchus
Agustinia
Ankylosaurus

there, I pointlessly told you what they released this past year, :))

and i have more Schleich Dinosaurs then Safari at this time.

Yeah, I actually looked them up before you posted that. I would actually get the Baryonyx and Agustinia if I ever came across them, I do get Shleich figures once in awhile. I was originally supposed to review the Baryonyx but decided to hold out on getting it in the event that Safari released one, and now here we are.

Dinoxels

Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

suspsy

This is a purely personal gripe, but I could do without all the teasers. Just reveal them and be done.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dinoguy2

I wouldn't mind a smaller Spinosaurus figure. Keep in mind there are several specimens of Spinosaurus which are much smaller than the holotype or the big Dal Sasso skull. Nothing wrong with having a variety of size classes in a display.

My bet for the tyrannosaur is Albertosaurus, because Safari seems intent on re-making every Carnegie in some form, and nobody else has really done an Alberto.

I got excited for a minute at the suggestion that the fantasy dinosaurs might be vintage representations, which would make sense given the long tail on the Triceratops matches some early paleoart. But from the description it seems like they're just made-up fantasy creatures.

I'm curious to see the Baryonyx, but to be honest I don't really have any need to buy it. I'm still happy with the Invicta version and only bought the Carnegie one in 1998 because I'm a completist  ;D
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

ceratopsian

And one not unique to you!  Hear, hear, I say!

Quote from: suspsy on October 08, 2020, 12:22:06 PM
This is a purely personal gripe, but I could do without all the teasers. Just reveal them and be done.

Gwangi

I agree. It doesn't get me excited, just annoyed.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Dinoxels on October 08, 2020, 10:20:28 AM

Another new teaser image.

By the way, in that teaser there are mammal footprints so I can still interpret that Safari has made prehistoric mammals? The truth and truth that so much suspense ends up boring at least me. We need you to reveal the news about dinosaurs as soon as possible so that we can judge the new figures.

PumperKrickel

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 08, 2020, 03:15:04 PM

By the way, in that teaser there are mammal footprints so I can still interpret that Safari has made prehistoric mammals? The truth and truth that so much suspense ends up boring at least me. We need you to reveal the news about dinosaurs as soon as possible so that we can judge the new figures.

It´s probably a teaser for all new products and the mammals are from the wildlife line.

suspsy

Quote from: Gwangi on October 08, 2020, 02:49:35 PM

Yeah, I much prefer CollectA's annual revealing method. Starting at the beginning of a month, they reveal two or three new toys each week. Simple and direct to the point, yet still generates plenty of anticipation and excitement. But again, that's just my preference. Do other people here actually enjoy this?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

bmathison1972

Quote from: suspsy on October 08, 2020, 03:41:06 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on October 08, 2020, 02:49:35 PM

Yeah, I much prefer CollectA's annual revealing method. Starting at the beginning of a month, they reveal two or three new toys each week. Simple and direct to the point, yet still generates plenty of anticipation and excitement. But again, that's just my preference. Do other people here actually enjoy this?

I don't enjoy what Safari is doing, but it also doesn't bother me as much as it does other people. I wish they would just announce all at once, period, but that's my take.

bmathison1972

I know this is the Dinosaur Toy Forum, but you cannot assume teaser pics only refer to dinosaurs; at least half of Safari's annual releases are extant animals and fantasy creatures.

PumperKrickel

Quote from: suspsy on October 08, 2020, 03:41:06 PM

I sure don´t, but that may be due to recent releases being unexciting in my opinion. They´d be better off fully revealing one each week or so.

stargatedalek

Some of the gimmick reveals Safari has done I quite liked, like that year they sent some out to reviewers and had them announce the figures. But it can get annoying real fast when the gimmick is something lacklustre like silhouettes. If anything this is decreasing my hype, because I have a good idea what the options are for most of these but also can't see whether I like them or not. It's basically just really bland spoilers.

Faelrin

I prefer how CollectA does it too. Was not a fan of this the last time they did it.

On that note I am hoping some of these will be in stock by the time of their annual black friday sale. If not I guess I still have plenty of older models to catch up on.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shonisaurus

Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 08, 2020, 03:49:38 PM

I know this is the Dinosaur Toy Forum, but you cannot assume teaser pics only refer to dinosaurs; at least half of Safari's annual releases are extant animals and fantasy creatures.

I am aware of this, that not all are prehistoric animals, but in my case it makes me think in a paranoid and obsessive way that Safari is going to make a paraceratherium. I am aware that for them to make a paraceratherium the Safari brand is like asking almost impossible because it is not a prehistoric animal that is not in high demand and the most important thing is not a dinosaur or even a Mesozoic animal.

But as I think ... you also live by illusion or as another saying goes "hope is the last thing you lose". Although I am satisfied with the Itoy paraceratherium that incidentally is the best paraceratherium of all time when it comes to PVC figures.

Flaffy

God I wish Safari ltd would take notes from how CollectA does reveals.
How Safari does things is just annoying. Every year its different, with no consistency aside from being mildly frustrating and annoying (excluding the rare years where they just revealed things properly).

But oh well, we'll probably see proper images in a week anyways, nothing to get too fussy about.

Jose S.M.

It's not that impossible for them to make a Paraceratherium. They actually have made a lot of prehistoric obscure animals in the past, like Prestosuchus, Malawisaurus, Citipati, Shringasaurus (might have been all anticipated by us but general public probably is not that familiar with it).

On the subjects of teasers, I don't mind them, they don't get me excited nor bothered. They just get me thinking about color scheme or in Safari's case if the were sculpted by Doug or another person. Safari's marketing seems to be focused on childrens (or their parents at least) not the adult collector side of their audiences and I think that's why they do this sort of thing, for better or worse.

Pachyrhinosaurus

The way that Safari has been revealing their new products is intended to get us talking about them. They know they have a following and that it will generate conversation. We don't even have proper photos yet and this thread is on its fifth page. It's a marketing strategy which attracts our attention over a longer period of time.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

ceratopsian

Nevertheless the marketing strategy doesn't make me any more (or less) likely to buy one of the new models.

PumperKrickel

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on October 08, 2020, 05:43:24 PM
The way that Safari has been revealing their new products is intended to get us talking about them. They know they have a following and that it will generate conversation. We don't even have proper photos yet and this thread is on its fifth page. It's a marketing strategy which attracts our attention over a longer period of time.

How do they benefit from the length of this thread exactly? I highly doubt it is a marketing strategy aimed at us, and if it is, it´s a very bad one. Intentionally annoying your most devoted fanbase would be high risk with no reward.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: