News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What was Acaenasuchus?

Started by Halichoeres, October 25, 2020, 11:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Acaenasuchus is a small archosaur that was previously known mostly from isolated osteoderms. Newly described skeletal materials fills in a lot of gaps, although it's far from a complete skeleton. Still, it's enough to place it as part of the sister group to aetosaurs and hypothesize a fair amount of its appearance.

If you're familiar with aetosaurs, a lot of this should look familiar:

Paper (paywall, but contact me for pdf): https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02724634.2020.1794885
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CityRaptor

Yep, that looks a lot like my Bullyland Paratypothorax.

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 25, 2020, 11:42:11 PM
Still, it's enough to place it as part of the sister group to aetosaurs

I think there is a mistake here. It's an Aeotsaur.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Newt

Awesome! You know, it's becoming increasingly undeniable that the Adamanian is the best time in prehistory.

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 25, 2020, 11:53:53 PM
I think there is a mistake here. It's an Aeotsaur.

Parker 2007 (doi:10.1017/S1477201906001994) defines Aetosauria as 'a stem-based taxon that consists of all taxa closer to Aetosaurus and Desmatosuchus than to Leptosuchus, Postosuchus, Prestosuchus, Poposaurus, Sphenosuchus, Alligator, Gracilisuchus, and Revueltosaurus'. Since Acaenasuchus comes out closer to Revueltosaurus than to Aetosaurus or Desmatosuchus in this phylogeny, it is by definition not an aetosaur, no matter how much it may look like one. Of course, no phylogeny is final, so Acaenasuchus may yet regain its aetosaurian identity. However it goes, it's an interesting look at a critter formerly known only from isolated osteoderms (the potsherds of the Triassic).

Halichoeres

Quote from: Newt on October 26, 2020, 01:54:34 AM

Awesome! You know, it's becoming increasingly undeniable that the Adamanian is the best time in prehistory.

The Fammenian would like word.

Anyway, here's an illustration of Newt's point about whether it's an aetosaur. In this analysis, it isn't, quite, but I'm sure this isn't the final word.

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 27, 2020, 05:59:27 PM
The Fammenian would like word.

Pfff, the Fammenian is a downgrade from the Frasnian. Acanthostega is no substitute for psammosteids! You know it's true.

Also, the Ornithosuchidae silhouette in the figure you posted reminds me of El Hombre Lagarto from The Goon.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.