You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Boipeba, the earliest blind snake, was a giant

Started by Halichoeres, November 23, 2020, 02:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Relatively speaking. At a meter long, it's substantially larger than most living blind snakes (Scolecophidia). Meet Boipeba tayasuensis, (Tupi-Guarani and Latin "flat snake from Taiaçu municipality") from the Upper Cretaceous of Brazil, the oldest blind snake known.

Without this data point, ancestral state reconstruction (a character optimization procedure similar to phylogenetic bracketing) would have predicted a smaller size for early scolecophidians, but this find suggests they started out relatively large and then got smaller the more thoroughly fossorial they got.

Artwork by Jorge Blanco, with Montealtosuchus in the background:

Schineider Fachini et al., open access in iScience: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2589004220310312
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Libraraptor

Shonisaurus

With you Halichoeres and the article links you share we learn a lot about the biology of extinct animals. This article about that blind snake is exciting and interesting.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.