News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2021 (Image Heavy op)

Started by Faelrin, November 29, 2020, 10:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi Well the placement/shape of the nasal ridges (which should be in front of the eyes, not above them, like on the JWE model), and possibly the position of the eyes in turn, is incorrect. Come to think of it, the vertebrae may be too short as well, particularly on the neck and back. Additionally it just looked too tyrannosaur like in the face to me, but that may also be due to the incorrect nasal ridge placement.

Dr. Scott Hartman's skeletal (as an example):

The JWE evolution one (and null skin):

I think this modded example (from author DigitalDuckModeling) may help as well, as it is an attempt to correct the issues to make it more accurate (not sure which skeletal reference they used though, but possibly Hartman's?):

I think the JWE Carcharodontosaurus (and Giganotosaurus as well) is much better in comparison, but the skull is possibly too long (when compared with the neotype specimen's skull), and the arms should probably be smaller as well (and of course without pronated wrists).

I don't have access to the original paper on it, but I guess this diagram on wikipedia will do (if there are issues with it I'm sure someone here can point it out).

With the JWE model (null skin) for comparison:

Edit: Just going off the Mattel promo pic, and comparing it to both the JWE model, and the skull diagram, I think the Mattel figure is closer to getting at least the proportions of the head right, although it looks to be missing the nasal ridge, but maybe the JWE is also missing that too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

PrimevalRaptor

Oh wow, I quite like the Carcharodontosaurus!
The original JPOG color scheme is much cooler, but the JWE design is also pretty neat, glad to see they're using those. Looks like a great toy for sure.

Gwangi

Thanks avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, it is quite obvious now that you pointed it out. It probably would have helped if I was actually looking at the game's original design instead of a mod when making my own comparison. Oops!

All well, I still would love a JWE style Acro from Mattel, preferably with the jungle, wetland, or vivid skin. I'm not a fan of the null skin on that one either.

MLMjp

We also have an image (not the best quality) of the upcoming attack packs or whatever they will call the small dinosaur in this line.

Is the Dracorex a new sculpt? The body and tail at least. Don't really care since I am not getting it, but still worth noticing.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Is that a Zuniceratops in the top right?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Faelrin

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi Glad I could help. Those are actually my favorite (non-modded) skins as well for it, mainly due to the pattern, but I think of all of those the vivid, strangely, is probably my go-to the most, despite that such bright purple coloration on a large theropod probably isn't too natural, but then again considering the in-game implications of where it's specifically a genetic modification like in the case of Blue and her sisters, and serves as a zoo/theme park attraction, why not. Basically if they were to fix up the skull shape, and offer one in any of those colocations I would be down for a JWE styled one.

avatar_MLMjp @MLMjp Yeah having one Dracorex in hand, that does look like a modified tail, and if not body sculpt. Also the Zuniceratops almost looks to have an action feature, unless they did something interesting with the articulation near the neck there. I am also wondering if the baby Brachiosaurus will have similar articulation to the larger one, at least with the neck and jaw. Hard to tell.

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx Yes.

Reuben03

Quote from: JimoAi on March 05, 2021, 01:54:54 PM
I hate it, but you may have differing opinions
haha i can respect that ;D
there are some i hate too like their 'mosasaurus' ughh so baddd

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Stegotyranno420

Oh no.
Well, time to wait for the acrocanthosaurus
You know, they should really base it on avatar_Loon @Loon s Mattel acro concept. Even though that's unfortunately very far fetched

Reuben03

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 05, 2021, 08:00:04 PM
Oh no.
Well, time to wait for the acrocanthosaurus
You know, they should really base it on avatar_Loon @Loon s Mattel acro concept. Even though that's unfortunately very far fetched
hahaha you're not a fan?

Stegotyranno420

Ummm, yeah,  i am a fan *nervous laughing*

Jokes aside, unfortunately i do not find mattel Carcharodontosaurus appealing, as it strays too far from the realistic animal.

Giganotosaurus

I can't wait to get the Carcharodontosaurus! I hope it releases soon!
Mosasurus on Jurassic Mainframe and JPToys
Angurius on TohoKingdom

I love all the Jurassic movies, plus Disney's Dinosaur

Reuben03

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 05, 2021, 09:34:48 PM
Ummm, yeah,  i am a fan *nervous laughing*

Jokes aside, unfortunately i do not find mattel Carcharodontosaurus appealing, as it strays too far from the realistic animal.
yeahh absolutely respectable. it's just a nice theropod to me, and i like how proportionate it is, none of that big feet tiny tail nonsense.

Kotori_Sonoda

Quote from: Flaffy on March 05, 2021, 01:52:06 PM
Image in question

Seems to be based on the JWE rendition, to which I am not complaining. As Suspsy said it could've gone waaay worse (seriously what were they thinking when they sculpted the Siats)

Quote from: MLMjp on March 05, 2021, 05:25:29 PM
We also have an image (not the best quality) of the upcoming attack packs or whatever they will call the small dinosaur in this line.

Is the Dracorex a new sculpt? The body and tail at least. Don't really care since I am not getting it, but still worth noticing.

Well those are some really good reveals. I don't have a Stegosaurus yet actually, I I don't cave and get the Dino rivals one that's still hanging around here I might grab that if it shows up.
The Carcharodontosaurus looks cool too. I liked that dinosaur ever since I saw that art of it roaring at a Deltadromeous in a national geographic issue.

And that attack pack lineup is looking spicy! For once everything looks very appealing. Even though we're getting yet another Dimorphodon, I haven't picked up one yet aside from the 2018 one...
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.

Jurassic Park toys collector

suspsy

A new image circulating on Facebook shows new Roarivore/Sonic Strike toys: Baryonyx, Carnotaurus, and T. rex with the speakers and battery compartments located on their sides instead of their bellies. Not remarkable, but I reckon my sons would enjoy the Carnotaurus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

It's been confirmed they are a budget release, so not main line per se. Seem to be roarivore sized too. Despite a visible screw hole and battery compartment on the side (which is most likely just on the one side), I do like there is finally a roarivore sized Carnotaurus. Not my ideal solution but may be the best opportunity for one at this size for now. I just hope these aren't impossible to find, since stores like Meijer, etc that typically gets these aren't in my area. All the same I wouldn't want these taking up more shelf space from the main line such as at Target for instance. I'll add these to the op after I get on my computer.

Edit: Sound holes are also on the side but at least they tried to blend it in as Battle Damage, although I understand that isn't everyone's cup of tea (I mean permanent BD technically isn't mine either, but I'm willing to be more forgiving for budget figures. I don't know why this would have made them cheaper instead of if everything was at the bottom but oh well).

MLMjp

I hope this is the last time we see stuff like this.

Instead of doing all of these diversifications, they should put all their effort into the main line. Focus on quality rather than quantity. Better have a few good options that a lot of "meh" options, and fix the distribution issues.

As much as I would like a smaller Carnotaurus, this is not what I wanted.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Usually what gets made isn't totally up to Mattel. It's all about retailers and what they want for the price they are willing to pay to resell.  The only stores not online near me that are carrying the line is Target and a few walmarts and that's it.  I remember when the original line came out ( 93') I was calling every dept store in the phone book.  They all had the line to some extent but maybe not everything I was after like that darn red rex.  Point is the market has shrunk considerably, I sometimes wonder if there is any future in toys at all marketed toward kids.

Reuben03

they need to do more marine reptiles!

also a mini plesiosaur

Faelrin

Yeah that's really the sad reality of it. It's part of why human figures on their own have been ditched. They didn't sell well at all (I mean you know its bad when there's leftover stock still on the shelves from 2018 all the way into 2020, at least in my case).

I'm not surprised we are seeing these electronic budget figures. The electronic figures have largely sold well so far.

Also my local stores sound about the same, and during late 2019 my local stores started to slim down on what they were carrying (the only thing I remember being plentiful was the BaBR Dual Attack wave, and the purple Dilophosaurus, etc wave of Savage Strikes). My local Walmarts are even more barebones then my local Targets much of the time, so I rarely check them out now. The last time I did it, on Jan 4th, it was literally just a bunch of 2019 Attack Pack Echo's, with like at least one Mononykus (that I scored for my nieces), though granted it was just after the Christmas season so that probably didn't help matters either, but still.

Basically until CC released, my Targets were nearly as empty during much of 2020, pandemic related or not I don't know. What they did have was mostly old stock (especially for the Savage Strikes or Attack Packs) with the exception of Massive Biters (and even then good luck finding a Sarcosuchus), and the Carnotaurus, and maybe the Indominus rex and Brachiosaurus still.

Now they seem to be mostly in stock, but as far as I can tell on the few times I've checked, the Attack Packs and Savage Strikes have mostly been barebones/old waves stock (still no luck on finding the Troodon or Plesiosaurus waves for example). An example taken Feb 10, from one of my local Target stores:

I know a lot of folks have encountered these same distribution issues (at least in the US, but probably plenty of other countries) unfortunately. Hopefully things improve for next year's film release.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: