News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: suspsy on May 28, 2021, 03:55:54 PM
I like the CollectA version best, but speaking objectively, I believe the Safari one is the most accurate.

IIRC the reason Safari's figure edges out is because of it's more accurate tooth count/placement right? Or was there anything else?
I prefer the overall presentation of the CollectA figure more as well. The near-vertical jaw tissue of the Safari figure looks rather awkward.

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 28, 2021, 04:14:29 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on May 28, 2021, 03:33:17 PM
Apparently their justification for the horizontal tail fluke is based on "new research" that indicates anatomical similarities between Kronosaurus and Manatee tails, thus suggesting a horizontal, manatee-like fluke being plausible. ???

Yeah I'm lost as well. Gotta see their references to make a final call.

The "new research" is probably this by Sennikov (2019): https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrey-Sennikov/publication/339423536_Peculiarities_of_the_Structure_and_Locomotor_Function_of_the_Tail_in_Sauropterygia/links/5f47cda5458515a88b7481ed/Peculiarities-of-the-Structure-and-Locomotor-Function-of-the-Tail-in-Sauropterygia.pdf

But this isn't about Kronosaurus specifically. In any case, as I say, I'm not convinced. Sennikov doesn't address the counter-evidence (for example, the distal tail vertebrae I described in Rhomaleosaurs are laterally compressed as in other vertebrates with a vertical tail fin). I think that paper is rather speculative and I disagree with some of Sennikov's statements. But, sure, it's possible, and I haven't seen all the fossil material with my own eyes.

Interesting, very interesting. Seems like PNSO picks and chooses what they perceive as the most "recent" evidence, rather than consulting multiple sources to reach a ore plausible conclusion. I'm on the same boat in regards to not being convinced on the manatee-like fluke.

Carnoking

Dang, you know, usually I like to keep it to just dinosaurs but I'm going to have to make an exception with this one. I too think I'll be parting with the safari and carnegie stuff.  :-*

Gwangi

Haylee arrived today. In case anyone is interested in more pictures, here ya go.

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on May 28, 2021, 04:33:41 PM
Quote from: suspsy on May 28, 2021, 03:55:54 PM
I like the CollectA version best, but speaking objectively, I believe the Safari one is the most accurate.

IIRC the reason Safari's figure edges out is because of it's more accurate tooth count/placement right? Or was there anything else?
I prefer the overall presentation of the CollectA figure more as well. The near-vertical jaw tissue of the Safari figure looks rather awkward.

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 28, 2021, 04:14:29 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on May 28, 2021, 03:33:17 PM
Apparently their justification for the horizontal tail fluke is based on "new research" that indicates anatomical similarities between Kronosaurus and Manatee tails, thus suggesting a horizontal, manatee-like fluke being plausible. ???

Yeah I'm lost as well. Gotta see their references to make a final call.

The "new research" is probably this by Sennikov (2019): https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrey-Sennikov/publication/339423536_Peculiarities_of_the_Structure_and_Locomotor_Function_of_the_Tail_in_Sauropterygia/links/5f47cda5458515a88b7481ed/Peculiarities-of-the-Structure-and-Locomotor-Function-of-the-Tail-in-Sauropterygia.pdf

But this isn't about Kronosaurus specifically. In any case, as I say, I'm not convinced. Sennikov doesn't address the counter-evidence (for example, the distal tail vertebrae I described in Rhomaleosaurs are laterally compressed as in other vertebrates with a vertical tail fin). I think that paper is rather speculative and I disagree with some of Sennikov's statements. But, sure, it's possible, and I haven't seen all the fossil material with my own eyes.

Interesting, very interesting. Seems like PNSO picks and chooses what they perceive as the most "recent" evidence, rather than consulting multiple sources to reach a ore plausible conclusion. I'm on the same boat in regards to not being convinced on the manatee-like fluke.
On the "upside", at least they are consulting somebody, over against our friends at Schleich, who seem to habitually consult nobody.

suspsy

Quote from: SidB on May 28, 2021, 07:51:04 PM
On the "upside", at least they are consulting somebody, over against our friends at Schleich, who seem to habitually consult nobody.

THIS.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoToyForum

Having seen the figure from a few other angles I think I see what they've done. It is posed it as if it is undulating the rear of its body and tail down, to propel itself forward with its tail, with an up-down motion like a whale (mammal). Plesiosaurs didn't move like this, which is why it looks odd.

Plesiosaurs didn't have very flexible bodies or tails because they were underwater fliers, like penguins and turtles. Underwater fliers have rigid torpedo-like bodies to help transfer the force of flapping into thrust.

Shonisaurus

Superb reconstruction of kronosaurus, I really like that paleorepresentation, the size is quite decent, I suppose the price would be quite high but logically we are talking about a huge pliosauroid plesiosaur figure. Glad PNSO makes prehistoric marine animals. When will you be encouraged to make pterosaurs other than the bronze thalassodromeus sethi and made of PVC and if it can be on a scale equal to those of Collecta? A friendly trade showdown regarding pterosaurs between PNSO and Collecta would be interesting, it would be great.

Glad PNSO is focusing on non-dinosaur figures like atopodentatus, helicoprion, and now a kronosaurus.

Faelrin

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi Congrats on getting it. I also appreciate those pictures especially the size comparison group shot with the CollectA invertebrates and Safari Coelacanth (which other then their Ocean Sunfish is the only one of those I have). Looks to be at a good size. Should fit nicely somewhere in my collection at some point.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 28, 2021, 08:19:17 PM
Having seen the figure from a few other angles I think I see what they've done. It is posed it as if it is undulating the rear of its body and tail down, to propel itself forward with its tail, with an up-down motion like a whale (mammal). Plesiosaurs didn't move like this, which is why it looks odd.

Plesiosaurs didn't have very flexible bodies or tails because they were underwater fliers, like penguins and turtles. Underwater fliers have rigid torpedo-like bodies to help transfer the force of flapping into thrust.

The more I look at this toy, the less inclined I feel to buy it. It's such a gorgeous and dynamic sculpt and I love the colours, but I can't get past that fluke and what you wrote above.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Kapitaenosavrvs

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi Congrats. That Heli grows on me... But it is a shame, that there is no support. I do not like marine Animals laying in the ground (Nursesharks are allowed :D) and the Fins and flippers will bend. But it is so nice to see a big, non generic "Shark-lookalike" with a different Detail.

WOW on the Kronosaurus. Thanks for the Info and thoughts on accuracies. It looks well crafted but.. I have to say, that the Pose looks off and weird. Its a shame. I have the Safari and the well known NoName Kronosaurus and even if the Safari one is the more accurate, i really prefer the NoName Kronosaurus. This PNSO Kronosaurus looks like a real gem, but i guess it is not my Figure. After seeing this, i am pretty sure, we will also get some Pterosaurs. Then, we have their Book Covers.

PNSO keeps on being outstanding. They really create and already created a whole Collection of fantasic, prehistoric and recent Animals. It is hard do deny. I feel kind of bad for the regular Toy Companies. There is always personal opinions and taste, but even the Figures i won't buy, like the Kronosaurus, are superb. Not every new Figure can be a definitive Figure. That would be a Problem, because i would loose interest in all the other great, maybe less detailed Figures from Collecta, Safari e.g. (Already happens a bit.) Too much Stuff also makes lazy and boring.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: suspsy on May 28, 2021, 09:26:31 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 28, 2021, 08:19:17 PM

The more I look at this toy, the less inclined I feel to buy it. It's such a gorgeous and dynamic sculpt and I love the colours, but I can't get past that fluke and what you wrote above.

I'll still be getting it!  ;D

stargatedalek

Shame the Kronosaurus has so many issues with it, especially that really oversized tail, it's just so long!

The detail work is largely excellent and feels very lifelike, but the underlying issues with the overall proportions, skull shape, and tooth placement are a hard turn away for me.

Patrx

What a strange-looking pliosaur! Ah, well. It's still cool to see how quickly PNSO have been coming up with new surprises.

Gwangi

All this talk about the Jeff's accuracy is distressing. That said, it's such a cool model. This is definitely a rare case where awesomeness is going to win over accuracy for me. I rarely get this excited about a marine reptile toy.

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, I'm glad my pictures are useful to you. I figured the comparisons would be handy, I think everyone has at least one of those figures, the extinct ones at least.

PrimevalRaptor

Some very nice photos of the Helicoprion, looks really nice in hand!

That Kronosaurus is impressive for sure, but like others have already said here, there's quite a few issues where I'd rather purchase the Safari or CollectA one in terms of accuracy. Does look like an impressive display piece though for sure (and hey at least it's not as weird as some of Papos poses)

John

The Kronosaurus looks a bit thicker overall than we're used to seeing,especially at the base of the tail maybe because of the preserved soft tissue body outline in Mauriciosaurus.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Carnoking

I love hearing talk like this. It's a great way for me to catchup on a species I'm not too well versed in. That being said, even with the issues folks have mentioned, it's going to take a lot more to convince me to stay away.

bmathison1972

Wow, I didn't know Helio was available already. Do we know which species it is?

Subduction

I haven't been posting but I've been keeping a close eye on this thread. And I have to say, PNSO have been releasing so many wonderful figures. I can't wait to buy the Yutyrannus and Carcharodontosaurus figures especially!

The Kronosaurus looks absolutely gorgeous. I wonder how feasible it would be to fix the tail and fluke. Because according to what I've read, those are the biggest problems. It just looks so great and I'd love to have it in my collection. :)

Subduction

Sorry, I have no idea how I quoted my own post. Haha!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: