News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: acro-man on June 05, 2021, 06:56:31 AM
This may sound discouraging, but I feel compelled to speak of the new Stegosaurus:

I have the Stegosaurus Bieber v2 in hand, and I gotta say - the paint is disastrous.
I have put mine in box and listed it on secondhand market.
If you are OK with repaint you are fine with Bieber.
Otherwise you better wait for a second, improved version that will probably come out in 3 months, like me.

But there's a risk that if PNSO doesn't do a repaint in the near future, future production runs of the Stegosaurus will only get worse and worse in quality, as seen in the older Museum series figures like the Mosasaurus, Amargasaurus, Yangchuanosaurus set etc.

I too am getting disappointed with the large discrepancy in quality between promotional pics and final products. Hopefully this doesn't indicate a downward trend for the company. Would be a shame to have these fantastic sculpts ruined by mediocre to poor paint, especially for that price tag.

Psittacoraptor

Quote from: Skorpio V. on June 05, 2021, 09:27:06 AM
Just posting the provided images to be more easily viewable:

Spoiler

[close]
That does look pretty bad. It's weird how different the quality of PNSO's paint application can be. My 2020 Wilson has a few paints errors while the Miragaia and Parasaurolophus are pretty much perfect and look exactly like the promo pictures, at 1/3rd and half the price of Wilson.

SidB

I'd describe the paint work as 'muddy'. It won't stop me from acquiring the figure, but at the price point it's somewhat disappointing. if I'm unhappy enough, I'll get at least a partial repaint (one advantage of having access to a local artist). If it wasn't for some temporary and unusual financial circumstances, I would be holding off on this figure, like I did for the museum series, which came way down in price a year and a half ago, until returning to the stratosphere. The Baidu comparison picture is instructive - v.1 Bieber has far more 'curb appeal'. Still, I'll be displaying them together.

Faelrin

I kind of want to see some video reviews or images in better much quality lighting before hand but so far it isn't looking too great (but poor lighting can also impact that).

I've said this before but I'm really not fond of how expensive many of these are (getting) but yet are really are lacking the paint detail to make up for the increase in prices. I guess this is obvious but you really are just paying for the name brand for the most part at this point. 2020 saw so many quality figures released and then it started diving off with the paint apps with the prices increasing with a few exceptions in between. The Pachycephalosaurus and Allosaurus are such examples. This does slightly worry me about the upcoming Yutyrannus.

I may just need to space out and/or trim some of these releases from my wishlist, never mind being behind on many.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Spoiler

[close]

I wouldn't call the paint job bad per se, but the first PNSO Stegosaurus is definitely superior in that category.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Carnoking

Yeah, I don't think that paint job looks bad. Like Faerlin, I am interested to see it in different lighting. I think the perfect word for now is underwhelming, especially at that price point. I jumped on Dan's preorder because I figured it was the best price I'd be able to get this thing at for the foreseeable future, but I do have some remorse over it.

Bread

Quote from: suspsy on June 05, 2021, 01:37:45 PM

Spoiler

[close]

I wouldn't call the paint job bad per se, but the first PNSO Stegosaurus is definitely superior in that category.
To me at least, it looks not so great because it is $60+ for this set....

Lanthanotus

The sculpt of the new "Bieber" is great and I like the inclusion of the little one, but the paint job certainly looks much better, brighter and sharper than on the promo photos on Aliexpress. However, I wonder how PNSO calculates those prices,..... if I see that correctly, the measurements of Bieber, the Tuojiangosaurus and the Miragaia are very close to each other and each of those figures is a complicated mould with all those spikes, edges and plates. But why is Bieber more than double the price (3 times for the Tuojiango without box)?

Faelrin

Other then it being part of the Dinosaurs Museum line which has always had things priced higher then the Prehistoric Animal Models line, at around $60-$70 (such as the Amargasaurus, the new Wilson, etc), I couldn't tell you why.

Skorpio V.

More in-hand photos, seem pretty consistent to me at least.

On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Bread

Quote from: Skorpio V. on June 05, 2021, 05:55:01 PM
More in-hand photos, seem pretty consistent to me at least.

Okay, now that looks better. I think these images do the figure justice. Paint job does look good, but I'll still wait for this one to become prime on amazon.

Skorpio V.

I'm starting to figure out how to work Tieba Baidu, found more images under stronger lighting and scale detail pics. Good to know Rook fits in Paul's mouth so perfectly.

On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

sauroid

i am willing to wait to buy all the 2021 releases til next year, maybe the prices will go down a bit. ive seen it before, could happen again.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Skorpio V. on June 05, 2021, 07:16:21 PM

"Jimmy will you please put my kid down after you are done with this photograph to show you friends you know how to hunt, even though you don't . I may have a tiny brain, but I ain't gonna be fooled by this"

Jokes aside, i am pretty mixed on the figure, but this will be my next option I for my birthday if the others are not Available

Faelrin

From what it looks like judging off these recent pics shared here, the plates are definitely lacking some detail in comparison to the prototype. The back also seems to have some darker coloration applied to it, that didn't seem to be on the prototype. I think Rook took a hit too particularly with how the stripes have been applied, etc. Not terrible, but could still have been better, considering the price.

At least they seem to scale nicely alongside the new Allosaurus more or less.

sauroid

do the people at PNSO (in their social media) accept feedback and critiques? they should hear what people have to say about their products.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Shonisaurus

I suppose that fortunately the real figure will be better than the original one but the Bieber stegosaurus (new version) from 2021 does not convince me, I do not like the painting details very much and his sculpture does not attract my attention, PNSO has a better stegosaurus in his previous edition.

Kapitaenosavrvs

To be honest, i do not see a problem with the Paint app on the Stegosaurus. From what i can see, they look fantastic and not bad. I really do not understand, how a BotM Ceratopsian with bright Colours, that sometimes look like they were coloured with Markers, is loved for exactly that and a static Figure with more decent Colours and great transitions between the Colours, not :-D. 60 Euros/Dollars what ever is quite a Pricetag, but it is still two Figures. 60 Euros for a Set like this, with this kind of Detail and colouration quality, seems to be.. normal to me. And the small one looks well done aswell. Everyone has a different perception and taste on these, and thats okay.

But it is hard to understand for me.

Carnoking

I think it really does come down to the price tag on this one. I don't think there's anything inherently bad about it, but for about 70 dollars and for something of this size, it should be truly exceptional, especially when compared to others of the line, and I just don't think it got there for most people unfortunately.
Oh and I thought the same thing about the BotM ceratopsian line until I got one in person. Now I can't stop  :'(

Carnoking

Also, to whom it may concern, it looks like Austin is available on Prime.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: