News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnoking

I may be wrong here but to my knowledge there is not much evidence in the fossil record to indicate sexual dimorphism in Tyrannosaurus rex (hence, Sue recently being referred to as they/them). The only method I had heard of in regards to our old friend had to do with the medullary bone but I believe that has come under scrutiny (sidetone: I would love to know if anyone has any additional information on the subject). So even if this toy (emphasis on toy) is posed in some reclining posture (which I too would appreciate for the departure from the norm) there's nothing forcing you to sex the figure as female beyond an arbitrary name.

Faelrin

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking and others, I'm getting the vibes about this being similar to Wilson in sculpt, but well hope I'm wrong. Will need to wait and see. Coloration and final paint scheme will be another. I was let down with the recent Stegosaurus, for example. Granted there's always the upcoming 1:35 scale BotM one if it doesn't tickle my fancy. Perhaps the Rebor as well, if it releases, as it'll at least have lips.

I like your suggestions avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 . Those would be refreshing to see. Honestly I'm surprised other then this Amargasaurus repaint, they haven't done sauropods since. Kind of makes me feel like having such a large wishlist earlier on was kind of moot.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Quote from: Carnoking on July 02, 2021, 04:30:13 AM
I may be wrong here but to my knowledge there is not much evidence in the fossil record to indicate sexual dimorphism in Tyrannosaurus rex (hence, Sue recently being referred to as they/them). The only method I had heard of in regards to our old friend had to do with the medullary bone but I believe that has come under scrutiny (sidetone: I would love to know if anyone has any additional information on the subject). So even if this toy (emphasis on toy) is posed in some reclining posture (which I too would appreciate for the departure from the norm) there's nothing forcing you to sex the figure as female beyond an arbitrary name.

AFAIK, the medullary bone in "B. rex" is still considered to be correct. Aside from her, however, no one knows the gender of any of the T. rex specimens, including Sue and Scotty.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SRF

When looking at that image of Andrea again, the shape of its head definitely reminds me the most of Sue. If that's the case, Andrea is probably bigger and bulkier than Wilson, who was based on AMNH 5027. If Andrea is indeed based on Sue, I would expect it to have a similar pose as its skeletal reconstruction.

Anyone is still free to ignore the fact that PNSO has given male/female names to their models of course. As a European I don't even know if Chuanzi (the Tarbosaurus) is a male or female name...

I respect the fact that it isn't known if male or female Tyrannosaurs were the dominant gender within their species. But since in modern birds of prey the female is bigger and more dominant, my gut feeling tells me that it would be more likely that this would apply for coelurosaurs as well.
But today, I'm just being father

suspsy

Quote from: SRF on July 02, 2021, 07:30:44 AM
When looking at that image of Andrea again, the shape of its head definitely reminds me the most of Sue. If that's the case, Andrea is probably bigger and bulkier than Wilson, who was based on AMNH 5027. If Andrea is indeed based on Sue, I would expect it to have a similar pose as its skeletal reconstruction.

Anyone is still free to ignore the fact that PNSO has given male/female names to their models of course. As a European I don't even know if Chuanzi (the Tarbosaurus) is a male or female name...

I respect the fact that it isn't known if male or female Tyrannosaurs were the dominant gender within their species. But since in modern birds of prey the female is bigger and more dominant, my gut feeling tells me that it would be more likely that this would apply for coelurosaurs as well.

Be careful about citing birds of prey when talking about sexual dimorphism in dinosaurs; they're the exception in the avian kingdom. With most other birds, the male is either the larger one, or both sexes are the same size.

So when are we going to see images of Andrea? I thought yesterday was the debut.

SRF

Andrea can be preordered in China since yesterday, but I don't know if any pictures of the figure are already available there? Would be nice to see more of her soon.

Today I received my Tarbosaurus, Yutyrannus and Torvosaurus. They were just in time in the EU, so no additional taxes on this order, luckily. :)

The Tarbosaurus and Yutyrannus are definitely among the best theropods PNSO has made. Especially the Tarbosaurus is better in real life than on the photos. The Torvosaurus is nice to have, but I don't feel it is on the same level detail and paint wise compared to other offerings. It's not underwhelming, but nothing special either to me.

With the Tarbosaurus in hand I'm definitely curious to what choices PNSO has made for the skin details for Andrea. I feel it could go either way and it's hard to see on the image we have so far how minute the scaling on the neck really is.

Faras

Quote from: SRF on July 02, 2021, 12:07:57 PM
Andrea can be preordered in China since yesterday, but I don't know if any pictures of the figure are already available there? Would be nice to see more of her soon.

Yeah atm it's only available in a bundle with five books for young kids and two puzzle posters, so waiting for now since I don't wanna pay extra... listed price of model is exactly the same as Wilson. Store page contains no useful img, but they promise to update it asap. btw yesterday was a special day in China, so they might've rushed the teaser by modifing pic of Wilson (like, identical upper teeth).

Links to the bundle:
https://m.tb.cn/h.4xDQwfM?sm=dd56a2
https://m.modian.com/product/18588655617.html?utm_source=copyLink&utm_medium=ANshare

Kapitaenosavrvs

I try to forget all the Stuff i had to read in the last pages and say:

Wow, i am really looking forward to a new an different T. rex from PNSO. I do not see a Problem with that amount of Figures. I do not have to buy them in the first Second and complain afterwards.

Lovely. I feel sorry for all the People (me included) that wanted more Herbivores but well. I guess they will just go on with Releases :) Have good Weekend.

Halichoeres

You know how sometimes on a summer night, your head gets too hot, so you flip the pillow, but the other side is also hot? That's how refreshing I find a new T. rex six months after the last.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on July 02, 2021, 09:34:05 PM
I try to forget all the Stuff i had to read in the last pages and say:

Wow, i am really looking forward to a new an different T. rex from PNSO. I do not see a Problem with that amount of Figures. I do not have to buy them in the first Second and complain afterwards.

Lovely. I feel sorry for all the People (me included) that wanted more Herbivores but well. I guess they will just go on with Releases :) Have good Weekend.
Yes, I really wanted herbivores too, so ... but, on the other hand I'm a T- rex fanatic, so I"ll manage okay.

Over9K

I would point out that, in certain cultures, Andrea is a male name...

Bread

I love Tyrannosaurs in general, but we are indeed lacking herbivores from PNSO again. I am hoping for some hadrosaurs  or ankylosaurids. I still miss the hope for an Edmontonia.

Speaking of herbivores, was there any a confirmation on the Triceratops/Torosaurus?

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 02, 2021, 09:56:36 PM
You know how sometimes on a summer night, your head gets too hot, so you flip the pillow, but the other side is also hot? That's how refreshing I find a new T. rex six months after the last.
I am wondering if PNSO is just trolling us with all of these tyrannosaurs

Flaffy

No news on when the full reveal of Andrea is going to be?

Faelrin

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Like on one hand I am curious to see how these (this, REBOR, BotM, etc) will all turn out, on the other hand I definitely get why you would say that, lol, and I sympathize with you. I've added so many to the DTC for this year alone, and the year is far from over, as an example. I think this is also why I am extremely patient and picky right now when it comes to even thinking about getting a new one for my (non Mattel, and non BotM) collection.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 03, 2021, 03:58:19 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on July 02, 2021, 09:56:36 PM
I am wondering if PNSO is just trolling us with all of these tyrannosaurs

Or it could simply be that Wilson sold so well that PNSO decided to capitalize on that success by releasing a mate for him. Very smart business decision. No different from Hasbro releasing more than one Optimus Prime or Mattel releasing more than one Batman in under a year. Heck, Mattel released several T. rexes for the first year of the FK line. Plus it's known that Zhao loves T. rex.

SRF

I looked up some of the images PNSO has shared of their T. Rexes in the past year. The first is paleo art that PNSO shared early in 2020, the second one is of course one of the release images of Wilson. These images definitely hinted earlier at PNSO releasing a second Tyrannosaurus model, in a reclining pose. So my guess is that Andrea will indeed be in a similar pose as what is shown here.

DragonRider02

Seeing baby in that artwork makes me wonder if PNSO will make new one to complete the T. Rex family. They could even include one with Andrea, like they did with Stegosaurus.

SRF

Quote from: DragonRider02 on July 03, 2021, 09:25:01 PM
Seeing baby in that artwork makes me wonder if PNSO will make new one to complete the T. Rex family. They could even include one with Andrea, like they did with Stegosaurus.

That would be a nice addition, to complete the Rex family that way so we can display them in the same way on our shelves as seen in the artwork.

In that case it would only make sense if detail wise Andrea is stylised the same as Wilson. I wouldn't expect the colors to be very different as well.

Psittacoraptor

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I totally get Tyrannosaur fatigue, but I think it's just the reality of the market that these types of dinosaurs sell the best. PNSO is a business after all, and if Wilson sold very well, I'm not surprised they are making a companion figure. Many people still like to see dinosaurs as bloodthirsty monsters rather than animals (thanks to Jurassic Park) and tyrannosaurs fit the bill the best. It's probably why you usually see these angry screaming poses in paleo art like this, :

Quote from: SRF on July 03, 2021, 09:13:40 PM

The art is beautiful but personally I can't help but roll my eyes when I see a dinosaur depicted like this yet again. Apparently dinosaurs need to be angry, screaming and attacking all the time. Even if there's the rare relaxed, resting animal like in this image, there needs to be another one roaring angrily to balance it out, haha.

Back to figures, I'm personally not even a huge fan of T-Rex but I'm looking forward to Andrea. I really love Wilson because he's so chunky and healthy-looking. It's a breath of fresh air next to all the emaciated, skinny and shrink-wrapped figures on the market.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: