You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Lake ecosystems of Cretaceous Lebanon

Started by Halichoeres, December 30, 2020, 03:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

You might be familiar with the Cenomanian lagerstätte in Lebanon that's given us some of the oddest pycnodonts, best-preserved sclerorhynchoids, and other "Middle" Cretaceous fishes. Here's a new lagerstätte from a little bit earlier (the Barremian), and from a lake instead of a marine setting. This offers a brief summary of some of the plants, fishes, snails, ostracods, insects, and turtles. There will probably be a fair number of new species described from this locality in coming years. This region was part of northeastern Gondwana during the Lower Cretaceous, for geographic context.

Some fish skeletons, including teleosts, primitive neopterygians, a mawsoniid coelacanth, and sturgeon-like fishes:

And a depiction of the overall environment (much of this great preservation is due to ashfall, hence the inclusion of a volcano):

Paywall (but as always, get in touch for a pdf): https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cretres.2020.104732
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

TethysaurusUK

The preservation instantly makes me think of the Gara Sbaa fossil Lagerstätte.

Halichoeres

Yeah, they definitely look similar, in spite of being different kinds of environments.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.