News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Repaint Figures or Buy Expensive Figures?

Started by Subduction, December 31, 2020, 04:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libraraptor

I don´t see anything wrong in painting cheap figures in a colour scheme of more expensive ones one can´t afford. For using them at home only for one´s own collection, why not? I am not sure if selling figures repainted after a certain pattern leads to copyright issues, but I consider this unlikely.
If I could paint, I´d definitely give it a try, too.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on January 01, 2021, 09:06:07 PM
Fo you not find it enraging at times though? I tend to start off okay but I either get impatient or get fed up especially when I can't remember the paints I mixed to achieve a certain colour.

I haven't had to match a previously used color yet, so that's yet to be seen. We'll see how much I remember from the one (1) class in color theory that I took in college.

Quote from: Subduction on January 03, 2021, 04:04:20 AM

Oh, that's wonderful! Good luck with your repainting adventures. You can do it! :D

If I can ask, where did you acquire your 3D figures? Do you purchase them from other artists or do you have a 3D printer?

Aw, thanks for the encouragement! :)  I don't have a printer. Most of mine come from Shapeways Marketplace, where artists post their designs and the company prints them on demand. But there are also some available on eBay and other sites.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Subduction

You're welcome! And thank you for answering my question too. I'd love to invest in a 3D printer someday but Shapeways is a good place for now. Thanks again.

Yeah exactly! If anything, you're paying an homage to the expensive figure itself.

As for reselling repainted figures, I didn't think copyright would be an issue. I'd imagine it's the repaint that would be the problem. Because depending on the color scheme, it'd either increase or decrease the value of the figures.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Libraraptor on January 03, 2021, 05:22:07 PM
I don´t see anything wrong in painting cheap figures in a colour scheme of more expensive ones one can´t afford. For using them at home only for one´s own collection, why not? I am not sure if selling figures repainted after a certain pattern leads to copyright issues, but I consider this unlikely.
If I could paint, I´d definitely give it a try, too.
All I could say is, go for it buddy.
I was nervous about making some paleo sketches today but now I made a few already and I am loving this re found hobby. Regardless of whether you like it or not, at least you tried. I know that sounds really corny, but trust me , practice doesn't make perfect, but it makes excellent.

dyno77

Im no artist either but i have tried repainting some dinosaur figures mostly just one colour since i tried once to repaint some other dinosaurs and ruined them...
I also have some sideshow dinosaur stored away and when i got them they were at good price unlike now when most of them are way overpriced...
I was looking at some resin kits but the figures i wanted were a columbian mammoth and indricotherium and they were way to much around $500 each and even though they are quality im holding out for some other company to make a large scale columbian mammoth at a lower cost...

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.