News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Repaint Figures or Buy Expensive Figures?

Started by Subduction, December 31, 2020, 04:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subduction

(I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place! The General board seems to be the most logical choice but if this belongs somewhere else, please move it to its correct location!)

Anyway, I've been thinking about my dinosaur/prehistoric animal collection lately. I'll share photos eventually but I've been mainly thinking about which kinds of figures I want and how much I'm willing to spend on them. There are plenty of figures with really good sculpts but have underwhelming colors. For example, the upcoming Safari Daspletosaurus and the original Papo Stegosaurus figures. So I want to repaint them. But there are expensive figures with awesome, such as the Beasts of the Mesozoic Ceratopsian series.

So I'm wondering if it's cheaper in the long run to just buy figures without painting them or repaint cheaper figures. I don't have all the space and money in the world. I also know the price of paint varies by brand and what type they are.

I hope everyone understands what I'm trying to say. I'll give a specific example:

While I'm planning to buy a couple of the BotM Ceratopsians, I won't be buying all of them. Some of the ones I won't be buying, like the Avaceratops and Wendiceratops, have really amazing colors. So I'm going to try and give those color schemes to figures I'll be repainting. But should I just save the extra money and buy the figures themselves? I don't necessarily mind taking the time to paint these figures to the best of my ability. I just wonder if it's better to buy these expensive figures instead.

I'm definitely rambling at this point, haha! Has anyone else been in my shoes? Where there was this expensive figure you really wanted to buy but wondered if repainting a cheaper figure was a better option??

Dusty Wren

I think this is a really good question to consider when you're figuring out which figures to buy. I guess a lot depends on your interests, your budget, and what you look for in the figures you collect.

Like, if you find painting figures tedious, then it's worth it to pay the extra money for more expensive figures so you can avoid it :)) But if you enjoy painting, it opens up some new avenues for your collection. You only have to decide if you like the sculpting on a figure, not the factory paint job. You might buy figures that you'd otherwise pass on. It also gives you a new way to engage with your hobby. 

I decided to try repainting some of my figures recently, so I will say that gathering up all the necessary materials (primers, sealants, good quality paints) does have some up-front costs. And there's going to be a learning curve, so it will probably be a while until I get results that I'm happy with. But I think I'll have fun with it, even if I make a mess of it in the beginning.

(Also, I bet the Safari ceratopsians would look pretty good in flashy BotM colors. Just sayin' ;))
Check out my customs thread!

ceratopsian

I wish I could paint.  If I could, I'd definitely give it a shot.  I can certainly testify that cheaper models, repainted, can give an amazing result.  (I employ someone else to do it though!)

I think repainting could be a lot of fun - not just copying paint schemes from expensive models you like, but also experimenting from scratch.

Comparative costs I can't advise on, as I don't paint.

I would perhaps think about saving up for the occasional more expensive figure when you are completely and utterly in love with it - not just the colours and pattern but also the whole sculpture.  But exercising careful restraint in how many expensive models make it to your list, depending on your budget!  And going the repaint option for others.

Patrx

Being able to paint and customize to some degree is a great skill to have in one's pocket, so to speak, for those figures that are almost what you're looking for but don't quite hit it. From a purely financial standpoint, I think you do stand to save some money in the long run by painting cheaper figures; a lot of the higher-end ones, especially lately, justify their price points with relatively complex paint from the factory. Acrylic paints are usually quite affordable, and last a long time when what you're painting is fairly small. Even just being able to touch up or add to the paint on something like a Wild Safari figure can really bring out its best, too – a lot of less-expensive figures have sculpted detail that can be brought out with a simple wash and/or dry-brush.

Subduction

Thank you for all the feedback guys! I really appreciate it! :D

Yeah, that's a really good point! I'm just trying to figure out how I want to go about with my collection. Because as much of a paleontology fan I am, I definitely don't plan on collecting every single figure there is. There are plenty of figures that already have amazing colors or don't need any improvements. However, there are figures that would be even better if they had a different color scheme.

"You only have to decide if you like the sculpting on a figure, not the factory paint job. You might buy figures that you'd otherwise pass on. It also gives you a new way to engage with your hobby."

That's a really good perspective to have! Yeah, it'd definitely help me decide whether this figure is worth buying or not. Thank you so much for your feedback!

Do you have a thread of your repaints? Because I'd love to see your repaints! I wish you luck on your repainting journey regardless!

"Also, I bet the Safari ceratopsians would look pretty good in flashy BotM colors. Just sayin' ;)"
You read my mind. ;) Any BotM ceratopsians I don't buy, some Safari ceratopsians or other figures will get that color scheme. Or as close to replicating those BotM colors as I possibly can.

? @Stolpergeist
Yeah exactly! I just wonder how many times you can repaint a figure before you start to damage the figure and loose details on the original sculpting.

Out of curiosity, have you tried painting before?

"I think repainting could be a lot of fun - not just copying paint schemes from expensive models you like, but also experimenting from scratch."

Yeah! When I start repainting figures, I don't plan on making every repaint based off of an expensive model I like. There just happens to be a lot of expensive models with terrific colors, haha. You definitely have a good point with your last paragraph though. That's why I created this thread. I'm still determining the rules and standards behind my collection. And one thing I'm trying to figure out is how economical would it be if I repainted cheaper figures or just save a little more for the expensive stuff, particularly PNSO and BotM. But there are expensive models I plan on buying that I don't feel the need to touch. I'll probably end up doing a little of both, repaint cheaper figures and buy a couple of more expensive ones.

"...for those figures that are almost what you're looking for but don't quite hit it..."

That's my biggest problem with a lot of the cheaper brands! Especially Wild Safari! The sculpt jobs tend to be fantastic but the colors are a little lacking in my opinion. I have limited experience with painting, and definitely none when it comes to models, but it's something I'm willing to give a try. Are there any acrylic/primer brands you'd recommend?

Thank you everyone again for your feedback! ;o;/ 

ceratopsian

You asked if I had tried repainting. No, I haven't. But the only subject at school I was bad at (other than PE) was art. I was dire. I can still remember the horror of looking at a blank sheet of paper and knowing that I had to put something on it. It's many years ago now - I am much older than most members here - but it's imprinted on me. So I just stick to photography!

Subduction

Quote from: ceratopsian on December 31, 2020, 07:35:04 PM
You asked if I had tried repainting. No, I haven't. But the only subject at school I was bad at (other than PE) was art. I was dire. I can still remember the horror of looking at a blank sheet of paper and knowing that I had to put something on it. It's many years ago now - I am much older than most members here - but it's imprinted on me. So I just stick to photography!

Ah okay, I understand. I'm sorry to hear that. But most importantly, I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable. I was just genuinely curious. ;;

ceratopsian

S @Subduction No, no need to be sorry, I'm not uncomfortable at all.  It's a very long time ago now!  But I'm quite sure I don't want to try repainting!

Quote from: Subduction on December 31, 2020, 07:46:50 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on December 31, 2020, 07:35:04 PM

Ah okay, I understand. I'm sorry to hear that. But most importantly, I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable. I was just genuinely curious. ;;

Dusty Wren

Glad that my perspective helped! I don't have a repaint thread yet. I'm still waiting for some of the supplies I need to arrive, because the mail system is a nightmare right now. But I'll get one up once I figure out what I'm doing. Hope to see one soon from you, too.
Check out my customs thread!

Stegotyranno420

Not sure but on a moral and mental standpoint,  I say repainting.  When doing something creative,  your mind becomes stronger and more relaxed, and it would be more impressive than buying a expensive figure, but of course its your opinion and of course there Is expections

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Stolpergeist on January 01, 2021, 02:46:30 AM
Quote from: Subduction on December 31, 2020, 07:28:10 PM
Yeah exactly! I just wonder how many times you can repaint a figure before you start to damage the figure and loose details on the original sculpting.

Normally you would only repaint a figure once.
If you want to practice, use cheap dollar figures for that, I haven't re-repainted figures yet and I think doing so multiple times is a risk.
I did and if you don't THIN your paint THAT well, i think you are gonna have a bad time. My latest repaint was a rerepaint but I removed most of the applied paint to preserve detail
I say that if you are able to,  you should mold and cast figures of high price you want to modify, so you don't accidently damage it

Syndicate Bias

I repainted my $300 Carcharodontosaurus I can't say I'm too satisfied with it but whatever I guess.

I'd rather spend the extra money on a professional paint app which I have for some resin kits. Only one I haven't at the moment is the paleocraft Concavenator that I just ordered a few hours ago

Shonisaurus

Painting dinosaur figures is an art and skill that truly relaxes a person. Unfortunately, I don't know how to repaint or paint dinosaurs or other prehistoric animals. I don't have enough skill.

Halichoeres

I'm finally trying my hand at painting this week, although I'm starting with 3d-printed figures rather than repainting toys. I'm not very good at it, but I have to say I'm enjoying it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Syndicate Bias

Fo you not find it enraging at times though? I tend to start off okay but I either get impatient or get fed up especially when I can't remember the paints I mixed to achieve a certain colour.

Bokisaurus

If I understand your dilemma correctly, I say the cost eventually evens out in the long run especially if you find that you like repainting figures and wan to do more.
Acrylic paint are not that expensive and worth having around.

I have repainted many figures in the past and have done some custom ones for a few collectors who specifically wanted a design from a more expensive model or from a artwork to be transferred to a less expensive figure. It works very well.

My advice is to give it a try , get an inexpensive figure with good details to practice on.

Who knows, you may end up loving it so much that it becomes a secondary hobby 😃
Good luck!👍🏼

Subduction

Sorry for the delay everyone. It was New Years and I tend to spend less time online during the weekend. However, I greatly appreciate everyone's feedback and read all of your posts. So thank you! <3

Ugh, I understand your pain right there! I hope your supplies come in the mail soon though. And thank you! I'll definitely start a repainting thread when I actually get around to repainting figures.

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus
I haven't considered the mental benefits of repainting figures. I actually draw and color as a hobby. But I have little to no experience with painting. Maybe being an artist already will give me an edge when it comes to repainting figures. But I'll probably end up repainting a lot of figures for the mental benefits alone.

S @Syndicate Bias
I'm so sorry to hear that! I was going to ask if you could replace the figure but $300 is a lot of money. D:

Hopefully that Concavenator turns out well though!

Oh, that's wonderful! Good luck with your repainting adventures. You can do it! :D

If I can ask, where did you acquire your 3D figures? Do you purchase them from other artists or do you have a 3D printer?

B @Bokisaurus
In a nutshell, I'm still trying to figure out how I want to go about my collection. Since I only have so much money and space, I can't collect every dinosaur figure available. There are plenty of figures with beautiful color schemes already and there are figures who could benefit from a better colors. But I don't know if it's better in the long run to repaint cheaper figures, buy expensive figures, or do both. Based on everyone's reaction though, there isn't a right answer. So I'm going to end up collecting figures and repaint cheaper ones, which would be fine.

Thank you so much for your opinions though! I'll have to check out your repainting thread but are there any acrylic paint brands you'd recommend? :D

Subduction

Quote from: Stegotyranno on January 01, 2021, 04:46:38 AM

If you want to practice, use cheap dollar figures for that, I haven't re-repainted figures yet and I think doing so multiple times is a risk.
I did and if you don't THIN your paint THAT well, i think you are gonna have a bad time. My latest repaint was a rerepaint but I removed most of the applied paint to preserve detail
I say that if you are able to,  you should mold and cast figures of high price you want to modify, so you don't accidently damage it

Oh shoot, this is really good information to know. Thank you so much! I'll definitely keep this in mind.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Subduction on January 03, 2021, 04:06:46 AM
Quote from: Stegotyranno on January 01, 2021, 04:46:38 AM

Oh shoot, this is really good information to know. Thank you so much! I'll definitely keep this in mind.
Also, always use primer, or the paint will chip, especially if it's not thinned. And use the primer in good amounts , about 7 inches away from the figure. Usually I leave the sprayed figure in the wind attached to a weight or inside next to a fan, because when I don't, it becomes sticky, then dusty, and then hairy. I learned it the hard way

Subduction

"Also, always use primer, or the paint will chip, especially if it's not thinned. And use the primer in good amounts , about 7 inches away from the figure. Usually I leave the sprayed figure in the wind attached to a weight or inside next to a fan, because when I don't, it becomes sticky, then dusty, and then hairy. I learned it the hard way"

This is also really good to know. Thank you so much guys! I can't stress how much I appreciate everyone's feedback. :D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: