You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Meet Shri, the new Mongolian Velociraptorine

Started by Gothmog the Baryonyx, January 14, 2021, 12:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gothmog the Baryonyx

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://bioone.org/journals/american-museum-novitates/volume-2020/issue-3965/3965.1/A-New-Dromaeosaurid-from-the-Late-Cretaceous-Khulsan-Locality-of/10.1206/3965.1.short__;!!LIr3w8kk_Xxm!67tfQceQqSmuY3tI5x2lOqB6P24xteHZ9aqZXn4uXz-08_SHegzxpFNah_V9HUqW$

This is paywalled and I have not looked at it but I have read a little of the excerpt which I would have copied over werei on my new laptop but alas.
Shri devi is from the Barun Goyot formation.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

CityRaptor

Guess that would be the one mentioned in the Dire Wolf thread. Shared it's habitat with Tarbosaurus, Saichania, Mononykus and others. Also some mammals that probably were victims of a raptor attack.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin I think this is the thread you were looking for :)

I wonder how long this genus will stand. To me it seems to have been erected on a pretty flimsy basis.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

EmperorDinobot

There was a discussion on FB about how the name is blatant cultural appropriation, but I lost the thread.

stargatedalek

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on January 15, 2021, 11:31:50 AM
There was a discussion on FB about how the name is blatant cultural appropriation, but I lost the thread.
I really don't follow that though, a lot of animals scientific names reference regional mythologies or language. It's generally considered a (lacklustre bordering on genuinely insufficient) act of respect for the region the animal is from. What's different this time?

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 15, 2021, 05:21:20 PM
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on January 15, 2021, 11:31:50 AM
I really don't follow that though, a lot of animals scientific names reference regional mythologies or language. It's generally considered a (lacklustre bordering on genuinely insufficient) act of respect for the region the animal is from. What's different this time?
I agree, thats like saying that Rajasaurus or Pradhania are insulting my country. But they aren't. I can think of loads of cultural dinosaur names

Halichoeres

Hmm, while sometimes there is a fine line between homage and appropriation, this one strikes me as firmly in the former category. I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, however.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.