You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Giant ossified lung of a mawsoniid ceolacanth, Upper Maastrichtian of Oued Zem

Started by TethysaurusUK, January 24, 2021, 12:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TethysaurusUK

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S019566712100015X?via%3Dihub#sec7

A friend of mine and my current supervisor worked on this paper. I also got to see this specimen in person for a while (thought it was an oddly preserved turtle carapace).

Significantly, the specimen is the youngest mawsoniid and is the only marine mawsoniid from Africa. From morphometric analysis, it is estimated to be between 3.65 m and 5.52 m.

Halichoeres

Awfully considerate of coelacanths to ossify their lungs for us to find.

Also a nice reminder that the modern gombessa is pretty different from most fossil coelacanths! Their lungs are almost nonexistent, which makes sense for a fish now restricted to deeper waters.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.