You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Seeking the best Acrocanthosaurus toy/model

Started by Tylosaurus, January 28, 2021, 07:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tylosaurus

hey all :)

its been a while I collected Dino toys or models for that part, being that Acrocanthosaurus atokensis always got my attention, I never was able to find a good model or toy of one, my best one and only one is the one from Dan LoRusso's Battat line of dino's, a re-release from 2017 if memory serves me well, which is this little guy:

This one I bought with the Battat Dacentrurus & Cryolophosaurus in memory of my passed away friend Dan LoRusso, Dan & I were good friends and miss him every day.

Now being 2021, are there any good updated models or toys from PNSO, REBOR, CollectA, Carnegie/Wild Safari Ltd. or any other advised brand?

Thanks for reading  :)

Leyster

To this day, there is a plethora of PVC Acrocanthosaurus models (therefore excluding resins and such), but the great majority is not that good. When compared to Franoys' skeletal (atm probably the most accurate one) the ones that fares better are the Battat and the Kaiyodo ones. It's quite sad that the best models are a 20+ and a 15 years old ones. The others (i.e. Safari, REBOR, Papo) all have notable faults.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Tylosaurus

Oh okay , so e one I have now isn't that bad after all then, disn't expect that being a thing.

Was expecting PNSO or REBOR doing something new and great, Acro wise, but I guess we'll have to wait that off then, thanks anyways though  8)

Tyto_Theropod

On the non-toy front, I've always liked the look of David Krentz's from his Antediluvian collection, which I don't have but have considered getting several times.  To my admittedly comparatively inexpert eyes it looks accurate.  However, I don't know if it's in production anymore.  It's currently listed as out of stock on Dan's Dinosaurs, which AFAIK is the only place you can get it from.  So even if it was in production still, you'd have to be okay with ordering it from outside Europe, and as it comes as a kit you'd have to assemble and paint it yourself or pay a kitbuilder/painter like Martin Garratt.  I don't know if these are an option for you.

Review here: http://dinotoyblog.com/2011/06/06/acrocanthosaurus-antediluvia-collectiondavid-krentz/
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Gwangi

I personally think Doug Watson's is probably the best, certainly for its price range. But for me none of them quite hit the mark.

Tylosaurus

Not much of the resin type tbh, with my shaky arthritis hands, it's not something I can focus on doing, but yes I know David's craftanship it's pretty amazing waht he does, I have known David for some time now e and I been friends of FB fora long time  :)

The one I bought directly from Dan LoRusso back in 2016 will always be my favorite  but I will stand open for other options  :)
That one from Doug Watson looks alight a bit beefier than others I have seen, the REBOR model also is an eye catcher for me.

Some very cool designs there tho!

It is great to see replies coming in, collecting Acro's will be my new episode of Dino collecting enviousness, so all options are welcome 8)

Gwangi

Big fan of the Kaiyodo one too, but of course it's quite small.

Tylosaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on January 28, 2021, 04:38:22 PM

https://s19.postimg.cc/46p0cjbzn/Kaiyodo_Dinotales_Series_3_Official_Fanbook_Acrocanthosaurus__%E2%80%93_.jpg

All good bud, still worth adding,Just need to make a list of what is actually out there, an Aro Collection always something I wanted to start, he one I bought from Dan LoRusso is my first Acro and  now looking back, it would be a good reason for me to return to dino collecting by collecting Acro's instead ofSteggo's, something else for a change, thanks to everyone that has replied in this thread of mine it's surely helpful 8)

Kaiyodo made a few Acro's I believe, not only the yellow/white one you showed, afaik they have a green one as well :)

Acros's & B747's, just nice 8)

Stegotyranno420

so what will an accurate acrocanthosaurus look like based on current info?

Sim

I think the best Acrocanthosaurus toy is Battat's, although it still has flaws.  I've been thinking I want an Acrocanthosaurus, and I spent the last few days thinking long and hard about whether to buy the Wild Safari Acrocanthosaurus again (I've had it once before).  In the end I decided not to, it's just too flawed.  Its feet are too big, its tail is too thin side to side and the ridge on its back should be muscular not shrink-wrapped.  It's also quite small, lacking the nice size the Battat one has.  It is still a good-looking model though.  Doug Watson's models have improved a lot since he sculpted that Acrocanthosaurus, I'd really like him to make a new one for Safari in 1:40 or 1:35 scale.  I'd also like PNSO to make an Acrocanthosaurus.

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on January 28, 2021, 04:59:00 PM
so what will an accurate acrocanthosaurus look like based on current info?

I think if you imagine the Wild Safari model without the flaws I mentioned above you can get a decent idea of what Acrocanthosaurus should look like.

Bread

I too have been looking for a good Acrocanthosaurus figure. Kind of disappointed by how abundant this genus is and yet most of the figures made don't hold up to its reconstruction.

I would say Shapeways is somewhat of an option. Although it is small and unpainted, Jacob Baardse's 1/72 scale Acrocanthosaurus is pretty good. A good paint job would really make that model look perfect.

stoneage

I'm not a fan but some people like the Papo and Rebor figures.

Lynx

The REBOR acro is the best in my opinion. For my standards it has the least amount of flaws compared to the other acro figures. Sure, it's a little shrinkwrapped, but that is to be expected with REBOR. It is a good size and also comes with a beautifully detailed chunk of a tenonto carcass. 
An oversized house cat.

Bread

Quote from: Lynx on January 28, 2021, 10:38:24 PM
The REBOR acro is the best in my opinion. For my standards it has the least amount of flaws compared to the other acro figures. Sure, it's a little shrinkwrapped, but that is to be expected with REBOR. It is a good size and also comes with a beautifully detailed chunk of a tenonto carcass.
I'd have to disagree about it having the least amount of flaws. The skull is small and the feet are over sized. However, I do really like the colors and detail of it.

BlueKrono

I have an Acro collection and I agree with avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi, the Kaiyodo is probably the best one out there.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

mgaguilar

Quote from: Gwangi on January 28, 2021, 04:38:22 PM

Damn, I need some more large theropods with color schemes as complex as that. Beautiful paint work.

Gwangi

avatar_mgaguilar @mgaguilar, I'm a big fan of that paint scheme. There's also a purple one, which is the one I have, but I don't like it as much.

mgaguilar

Quote from: Gwangi on January 29, 2021, 01:22:20 AM
avatar_mgaguilar @mgaguilar, I'm a big fan of that paint scheme. There's also a purple one, which is the one I have, but I don't like it as much.

Wonderful work from Kaiyodo. Thanks for sharing! Guess I'll just have to rely on customs for that kind of intricacy at 1:35 scale for now.

Flaffy

Would've been real nice if the most recent Kaiyodo Acrocanthosaurus wasn't just 2 paint variants of the same skeleton.

Tylosaurus

The tail seems too short for that body mass as the Kaiyodo model goes tho, the rest looks  really good, the paint scheme is gorgeous that I can see clearly.

Kaiyodo also released a black & white paint scheme :)

I'll surely add a few of those then, hmm thanks for gathering idea's everyone 8)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: