News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

My attempt to gather every helicoprion toy onto one list

Started by Reuben03, February 13, 2021, 06:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reuben03

here we go...

SAFARI TOOB

They did what they could with the knowledge they had (?)
ew. not nice to look at. it has that Zach Hadel goblin snout, it's not particularly interesting and the paintjob could be cooler. oh well!

PALAEOZOIC PALS

Yeahhh hate to be a downer but i'm not that big a fan, is that just me?
an improvement from the toob one though! better colours and its face no longer screams 'green and retired'
the buzzsaw just looks so.. unnatural? forced in? too big? it's like they took a porbeagle and put the helicoprion mouthpiece in. nice effort tho.

YOWIES

Ohhh my, shame this one is outdated. sooo so nice.
what a pretty paint scheme! it certainly has its flaws but due to its cute pocket size and 'playtime friendly' default, non action pose position, im naturally biased towards it. it can't help its goblin nose and outdated jaw, its old. I remember seeing pictures of this beauty online as a kid and thinking 'my goodness i want it so much!' miss that sense of wonder, the feeling of a whole world of toys out there I didn't know about.

TST ADVANCE

cute! I'm fond of little soft toys of dinosaurs because as a Kid, it was like having your own Dinosaur King Chibi Dino. used to take a small plush Dinosaur to the park and pretend it was my Dinosaur King Dinosaur waiting to transform into Battle Mode. The good old days eh?.
due to being all small n cutesy, this plushes goblin nose is less prominent, however it sadly is adorned with teeth, something else not found on the real animal. other then that it is a lot less of a disappointment to the eyes then the Palaeozoic Pals version. Trust Japan for a cute fun extinct fish Product  :))

SUNGUTS HONPO

Finally! Scientific accuracy ammirite!?!?

eh Im not gonna try to apply that stuff to this figure, look at it. it's harmless fun.
looks like a rift kaiji if pacific rim came out during Toho's glory days. its funny! i like it. it has a few variants so there's the collectability aspect it has in its favour too. this is probably someone's fursona, they must be really happy. It looks like if 6 year old me won a create your own GoGo crazybones competition. Not much else to say about old sunguts here. a fun figure!

RULERS OF THE SEA

huh. nice!
it's simple and cartoony. I know not many people are fond of these stretchy '& co' style figures, but I have a soft spot for them!
they can move very fish like in the water if you are a Kid playing with them in the bath... or me.
Its biggest letdown is obviously the Goblin nose. give this a boxy Chimaera like nose and i'd have to declare this figure the best on the list!
the paint job is also quite boring but ehhh, oh well! The next one is a step up...

ZOO WORLD

LOOK AT IT. LOOK. AT. THAT. FISH.
I have to say, I love it! I really do! i love the paint scheme, I love the shape and the build of it, so underrated!!
it's only letdown are the teeth on the upper jaw. such a shame, but i can excuse it!

I DIG PREHISTORIC SHARKS

Its true. I do! This figure is another one I wanted as a Kid. I mean come on look at it! it's literally the closest we'll ever get to Jurassic Park Builder collectable Minis. Nowadays I can see it for what it is, not very good. But I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at it if i saw it Cheap! (to sell at a higher price or trade with of course) I understand these figures are quite elusive, it's a shame because they are cool. Definitely a line i'd like to see a revival of!

DIRIMAX

eh. on the way to being something good! its Goblin snout lets it down. I love the countershaded with white speckled spots look on Helicoprion so it at least has that. Hope they make another more accurate version! this is a noble attempt.

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Reuben03

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 13, 2021, 06:33:01 PM
Diramix also made a larger version:
THANK YOU! I knew i was missing some. I'll add it right away.

Reuben03

Quote from: Stolpergeist on February 13, 2021, 06:48:30 PM
avatar_Reuben03 @Reuben03 I'm so glad you compiled this resource.
And oh no, I didn't notice before because I don't own it but I see now that the Safari Helicoprion has upper jaw teeth which I'm sure it shouldn't have.
At least it's better than the Safari Edestus, that one is irredeemable.
I don't like the Palaeozoic Pals Helicoprion much either, despite the accurate fin number the head just makes it look too great white shark-like.
The Yowies one is still pretty, retro reconstructions are still worth seeking out to document the process of palaeontology.
While less up to date than the Palaeozoic Pals one, the TST Advance one is absolutely adorable, I agree on that, and thus much more aesthetically pleasing.
The Sunguts Honpo one is ridiculously cool, as are their other figures, wouldn't say no if I find one cheap, that is a must have.
The Rulers of the Sea one is quite nice in its minimalism and the Zoo World one's head shape, extra teeth aside, is fantastic.
The I Dig Prehistoric Sharks one has the same charm to it as the Yowies one, worth picking up for sure if come across.
The Diramix one is just friend shaped.

I would love to see attempts in the future by PNSO, CollectA and even Schleich, the latter only if it is sculpted by Dirk Wachsmuth.
Absolutely agree!! I saw that PNSO teased one, and Chap Mei will be making one designed by yours truly (as far as i know currently)! let's hope that the next few years are good for Helicoprion toys!
Also What do you plan to repaint next? I alllllways look forward to your repaints, so so good.
Glad you liked the list!

Reuben03

Quote from: Stolpergeist on February 13, 2021, 07:08:06 PM
Taking off from customs over the Valentine's weekend, also because I hurt my fingers while working on the last one, but I have some surprising ones planned.
You know what, maybe I'll even make an Edestus one day but I'll need to find me a shark figure that feels right first.
ahhh very nice!! look forward to that. anything nice planned for the weekend?

Reuben03

Loon

Frankly, I thought this was going to be a very short list. But honestly, it's a pretty decent selection for a relatively obscure animal. I think CollectA could probably knock this one out of the park.

Reuben03

Quote from: Loon on February 13, 2021, 08:01:07 PM
Frankly, I thought this was going to be a very short list. But honestly, it's a pretty decent selection for a relatively obscure animal. I think CollectA could probably knock this one out of the park.
for sure. i'd love to add that to my collection, especially the mini version they always do in the tubes!

Reuben03

Quote from: Stolpergeist on February 13, 2021, 08:06:09 PM
If Schleich ever decides to make this Dirk Wachsmuth model a toy, that would be utmost amazing.

Yes! what a fish. look at those ghostly eyes...

BlueKrono

Nice list! I'm only lacking the Sunguts version, but they can be expensive. Where did you get yours?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Reuben03

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 13, 2021, 08:14:12 PM
Nice list! I'm only lacking the Sunguts version, but they can be expensive. Where did you get yours?
haha i dont own it myself i'm afraid! i saw it online.
try the add to buyee chrome extension and then look on japanese sites.

Reuben03

Quote from: Stolpergeist on February 13, 2021, 08:23:03 PM
Spotted this but it's unfortunately not commercially available, if only they made the 3D file public for sale...

https://twitter.com/CMNHvertpaleo/status/792490124906901504

such a shame! its flawless. really wish they sold those.

Halichoeres

Those Sunguts figures are insanely expensive. I'm grateful they've never made a unique species (to my knowledge).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Reuben03

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 14, 2021, 05:50:02 PM
Those Sunguts figures are insanely expensive. I'm grateful they've never made a unique species (to my knowledge).
yeah true!
my favourite is probably this squid haha

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.