You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Titus: T. rex is King - Nottingham

Started by DinoToyForum, February 25, 2021, 05:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

In the news today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-56186226

The fossilised skeleton of a T. rex is at the centre of a new exhibition being developed by the Nottingham Natural History Museum, Wollaton Hall. It is yet to be confirmed, but if things go to plan the T. rex will go on display this summer – a natural sequel to Nottingham's 2017 Dinosaurs of China exhibition.

Libraraptor

indohyus

Well done! Have to come up and visit again! Hopefully on a day you are there, so can say hello.

Lanthanotus

Now, the question is..... which according toy figure would you sell in your gift shop? :)

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Is it a mount with gastralia? Because I have always wanted to see a fossil mount with gastralia in person. Congrats for your museum in either event, a T rex is sure to attract visitors
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoToyForum

The exhibition is going ahead. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-56889834

We have titled the exhibiton 'Titus: T. rex is King'. The exhibition is being built around Titus, a new specimen of Tyrannosaurus rex that has never been seen before.

suspsy

New specimen? Colour me intrigued! Although I'm assuming this is a privately owned one and thus inaccessible for study?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoToyForum

Quote from: suspsy on April 29, 2021, 01:13:51 PM
New specimen? Colour me intrigued! Although I'm assuming this is a privately owned one and thus inaccessible for study?

It's privately owned, but the owner is keen for researchers to work on it, and 3D-prints of the laser-scanned bones (and the scan files) will be accessioned into the Nottingham Natural History Museum's collection. They, at least, will be available for researchers in perpetuity, although they are no substitute for the real bones, and there is only so much you can do with replicas research-wise.

stargatedalek

Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 29, 2021, 09:15:20 PM
Quote from: suspsy on April 29, 2021, 01:13:51 PM

It's privately owned, but the owner is keen for researchers to work on it, and 3D-prints of the laser-scanned bones (and the scan files) will be accessioned into the Nottingham Natural History Museum's collection. They, at least, will be available for researchers in perpetuity, although they are no substitute for the real bones, and there is only so much you can do with replicas research-wise.
That's still a lot more than most private owners seem to be willing to offer, so I'm very glad to hear it.

DinoToyForum

sauroid

thats a great article, thanks for sharing Dr. Admin
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

indohyus

Congratulations mate! Hopefully get the chance to see you this time.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: indohyus on May 12, 2021, 07:17:29 PM
Congratulations mate! Hopefully get the chance to see you this time.

Absolutely!

DinoToyForum

An exhibition trailer has gone up on the exhibition website: https://wollatonhall.org.uk/titus/

DinoToyForum

First sneak peek of Titus, who has arrived at the Nottingham Natural History Museum at Wollaton Hall...

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: dinotoyforum on June 19, 2021, 11:02:38 PM
First sneak peek of Titus, who has arrived at the Nottingham Natural History Museum at Wollaton Hall...

Oh wow! That must be really interesting to witness all this directly :) Thank you for the sneak peek. If its there until next year it could be worth a visit, since i am vaccinated :>

DinoToyForum

Some more sneak peek promotional shots of Titus.

Lanthanotus

Interesting packaging, thanks for sharing.

How do you feel about the greatly "exaggerated" teeth that are moved out of their sockets? I mean in terms of giving a false impression of the real dentition of the animal?

ceratopsian

I would never have visualised that sort of canvas strap cradle for holding the skull in place. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: