News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Leyster's Collection (updated 29/03/24)

Started by Leyster, February 27, 2021, 02:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leyster

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus thank you!

S @SidB well, even if it's a nomen dubium (not certain about this, Paleobiology Database lists it so) it remains truly an impressive generic titanosaur, it might be worth triying to locate it anyway. As I noted in the review, it's a perfect stand in for a large titanosaur.

Binomial name: Dimetrodon grandis (Romer & Price, 1940)
Classification: Eupelycosauria->Sphenacodontia->Sphenacodontoidea->Spenacodontidae->Sphenacodontinae
Time: Kungurian (Early Permian)
Formation: Clear Fork Group of the Arroyo Formation, Garber Formation (present day USA)
Manifacturer and date of release: Kaiyodo, 2001
Sculptor: Takashi Kinoshita
Scale: 1:40 for UCRC 1002
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SidB

Thanks for the counsel, L @Leyster . I remember back several years ago that a member was selling it for 50 USD. Wish I'd snapped it up then, because now it's become very expensive and hard to get.

Leyster

S @SidB I guess we all regret not buying it from acro-man when he had it available. I bought mine for twice that price, and still consider myself lucky  ;D
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SidB

Quote from: Leyster on February 07, 2022, 03:35:42 PM
S @SidB I guess we all regret not buying it from acro-man when he had it available. I bought mine for twice that price, and still consider myself lucky  ;D
At that time I'd  convinced myself that I didn't want any PNSO's. Wow, was I mistaken!

Leyster

Binomial name: Tianyulong confuciusi Zheng et al., 2009
Classification: Dinosauria->Ornithischia->Heterodontosauridae*
Time: exact level unknown, so Bathonian-Oxfordian (Middle Jurassic) for all the formation
Formation: Tiaojishan Formation(present-day China)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2019
Sculptor: somebody in the atelier of Zhao Chuang
Scale: 1:4,5 based on skull lenght

*some place Heterodontosaurids at the base of Marginocephalia

It probably should be a lot more fluffier than this (considering an unpubblished specimen of which beautiful photos exist), and hand are pronated... but who cares, it's the only good Heterodontosaurid I know of.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

The Tianyulong is a great one, one of my favourites of all figures, partly because, as you say, its the only good Heterodontosaurid toy. Unless you are a fan of the beautiful Inpro Heterodontosaurus of course...
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Leyster

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx I wouldn't say no to a fluffier version of an heterodontosaur, tho

Binomial name: Triceratops horridus Marsh, 1889
Classification: Dinosauria->Ornithischia->Genasauria->Neornithischia->Marginocephalia->Ceratopsia->Neoceratopsia->Coronosauria->Ceratopsoidea->Ceratopsidae->Chasmosaurinae->Triceratopsini
Time: Maastrichtian (Late Cretaceous)
Formation: Evanston Formation, Laramie Formation, Lance Formation, Hell Creek Formation (present-day USA)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2017
Scale: 1:24 based on the "Kelsey" specimen on which the model is based on.

I always liked the active pose of this model. Plus the horn lenght and quills remember me of some much beloved Cheung Chung Tat artworks.

Shonisaurus

Beautiful photographs, honestly, and I am going to comment on it here. I like this Doyle triceratops better than its successor made this year. I see the more natural articulated jaw, although logically the current Doyle triceratops is more scientific. However, I like it much more. its old version is much more interesting in figure color, sculpture, details and above all it has a magnificent base that the current PNSO triceratops does not have:

SidB

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 13, 2022, 01:52:23 PM
Beautiful photographs, honestly, and I am going to comment on it here. I like this Doyle triceratops better than its successor made this year. I see the more natural articulated jaw, although logically the current Doyle triceratops is more scientific. However, I like it much more. its old version is much more interesting in figure color, sculpture, details and above all it has a magnificent base that the current PNSO triceratops does not have:
avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus , I've got to agree with everything that you've said. I have both and despite the superior accuracy of Doyle 2 (jaw articulation aside), Doyle 1 displays better.

Leyster

S @SidB avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus I agree with both, Doyle v1 is a more interesting presence than its successor.

Binomial name: Confuciusornis sanctus Hou, Zhou, Gu and Zhang, 1995
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Maniraptoromorpha->Neocoelurosauria->Maniraptoriformes->Maniraptora->Pennaraptora->Paraves->Eumaniraptora->Avialae->Pygostylia->Confuciusornithidae
Time: Barremian-Aptian (early Cretaceous)
Formation: Jianshangou Beds of Yixian Formation (present day China)
Scale: 1:3 for IVPP V10918

Another great mini of a rarely made genus.

Leyster

Binomial name: Diplocaulus magnicornis Cope, 1882
Classification: Lepospondyli->Holospondyli->Nectridea->Diplocaulidae
Time: Kungurian (Early Permian)
Formation: Arroyo Formation (present-day USA)
Manifacturer and date of release: Kaiyodo, 2001
Sculptor: Seiji Yamamoto?
Scale: 1:10

After Dimetrodon, probably the most iconic Permian animal.

And here you can read my review of the Vitae Sinraptor, with some never-before-seen pictures courtesy of Cheung Chung Tat himself!

Halichoeres

I dream of Kaiyodo releasing a new Diplocaulus in a swimming pose with the soft-tissue hydrofoils anchored by the head.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Leyster

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres that would be so nice! Maybe with a base like the "Leaps in Evolution" set, to make it more displayable. Swimming figures are hard to appreciate when they lie flat on the bottom of the shelf...

Binomial name: Miragaia longicollum Mateus et al., 2009
Classification: Dinosauria->Ornithischia->Genasauria->Thyreophora->Stegosauria->Stegosauridae->Dacentrurinae
Time: Kimmeridgian/Tithonian (Late Jurassic)
Formation: Praia Azul Member of the Lourinhã Formation (present-day Portugal)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2021
Scale: 1:27 for MG4863

Shonisaurus

Magnificent figure the Miragaia sincerely I like its series of spikes so showy and beautiful but sincerely I prefer the figure of Safari/Carnegie by far it is for me the most beautiful figure, perhaps not so scientific but for me it is the most attractive figure.

Leyster

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus I agree, the Carnegie has surely a more striking paintjob. Plus I'm not entirely sure how likely is the use of Gigantspinosaurus skin impressions for Miragaia, but stegosaur taxonomy is a mess anyway.

Binomial name: Sinosauropteryx prima Ji & Ji 1996
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria?->Compsognathidae?*
Time: Barremian-Aptian (early Cretaceous)
Formation: Jianshangou Beds and Dawangzhangzi Beds of the Yixian Formation (present day China)
Scale: 1:6 for NIGP 127587

*this, if Compsognathidae ever exists

I still hope to get the Kaiyodo in the future, what lacks in accuracy it has in grace.

Leyster

*flopping chicken noises*

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Lovely figures again. The Sinosauropteryx is one of my favourite PNSO minis and the Miragaia one of my favourite regular line.

I recently put my mini Safari Beipiaosaurus next to my PNSO Yutyrannus as well. No chicken noises here though lol
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

Nice photo, the PNSO yutyrannus is an exotic figure, that fluffy plumage is exceptional, it reminds me of the mythological figure of the faun, as I have already commented many times on that figure. It is a very nice theropod.

Halichoeres

I slightly prefer the PNSO Sinosauropteryx because they got closer on the coloration, but that's one of those I wouldn't mind Kaiyodo revisiting as a CapsuleQ figure one day.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

L @Leyster read your entry on the Vitae Majungasaurus and I was wondering...how accurate is Wild Past's upcoming version? Myself, can't really tell if it has the "sausage" look as well. At least it looks stockier.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: