News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Leyster's Collection (updated 29/03/24)

Started by Leyster, February 27, 2021, 02:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leyster

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator S @SidB avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres The teeth thing is weird, because in one of the videos they mention the Wiesma & Sander 2016 study about some sort of keratinized "lips" or "beak" encasing the teeth. Which explains isolated sauropod tooth rows. I think Folkes even suggested in a twitter post that teeth might be shed all together with the outer layer of keratin sheat, an idea I find quite fascinating.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SidB

You're quite right, that's fascinating. I guess that there may be unconventional actualized that we're scarcely aware of, and it's out of the box hypotheses like this that expand our awareness. Paleontology can be various things, but not boring.

Leyster

Binomial name: Triarthrus eatoni (Hall, 1838)*
Classification: Trilobita->Ptychopariida->Olenina->Olenidae
Time: Katian (upper Ordovician)
Formation: Amadjuak Formation, Nicolet River Formation (present-day Canada), Collingwood Formation Lithology 1, Utica Shale (present day USA)
Manifacturer and date of release: Kaiyodo, 2002
Sculptor: Katsuo Takuma
Scale: 1:1

*not sure about the id, any trilobite expert here?
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Libraraptor

Quote from: Leyster on October 08, 2023, 03:58:54 PMBinomial name: Triarthrus eatoni (Hall, 1838)*
Classification: Trilobita->Ptychopariida->Olenina->Olenidae
Time: Katian (upper Ordovician)
Formation: Amadjuak Formation, Nicolet River Formation (present-day Canada), Collingwood Formation Lithology 1, Utica Shale (present day USA)
Manifacturer and date of release: Kaiyodo, 2002
Sculptor: Katsuo Takuma
Scale: 1:1

*not sure about the id, any trilobite expert here?

Mr. Fortey where are you?  :)

Concavenator

Halichoeres

I have the 2015 CapsuleQ version, but both are great. Insane what Kaiyodo can do for less than $5 initial retail.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Leyster

avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor wait wait wait.. is HE a forum member? OoO

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator praise its smallness  :))

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres right? I mean, their tiger from Wild Rush series is painted better than western companies tigers several times its size

Binomial name: Mammuthus trogontherii (Pohlig, 1885)
Classification: Placentalia->Atlantogenata->Afrotheria->Paenungulata->Tethytheria->Proboscidea->Elephantiformes->Elephantimorpha->Elephantidae->Elephantinae
Time: Calabrian-Chibanian(Middle - Late Pleistocene)
Formation: Lingquan Strip Mine of Zhalainuoer (present-day China); Chlum 6 bei Holstejn, Koneprusy C718 bei Karlstejn (present-day Czech Republic); Achalkalaki 1 (present-day Georgia); Sussenborn, Karlich level B and H of Neuwieder Becken, Voigtstedt Upper and Lower Gravels, Aufschluß B (outcrop B) of Rinnenfüllung, Miesenheim 1, Mosbach 1 and 2 (present-day Germany); Ürömhegy (present-day Hungary); Jisr Banat Yaqub (present-day Israel); Villa di Quinzano (present-day Italy); Tepke-2 Lower (present-day Kyrgyzstan);    Novosergeyevsk Quarry, Bachatsk Quarry; Kedrovsk Quarry (present-day Russian Federation); Cullar Baza 1 (preent-day Spain); Latamne (present day Syria); Tso-chen (present-day Taiwan); Dursunlu Formation (present-day Turkey); Tcheleken (present-day Turkmenistan);    Pakefield/Kessingland gravel, Corton rootlet bed, West Runton Freshwater Bed (present-day UK)
Manifacturer and date of release: Eofauna, 2017
Sculptor: Shu-yu Hsu?
Scale: 1:36 for the Zhalainuoer III specimen. Up to ca 1:40 for a very large specimen like the Mosbach one.

Libraraptor

No, I don't think HE is. I was just kidding, L @Leyster  :) Sorry for evoking hopes if I did. It would be wonderful knowing he is around.

bmathison1972

I don't have the trilobite identified to the species level, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was modeled after T. eatoni as it appears to be one of the best-studied species.

SidB

Quote from: Leyster on August 17, 2023, 04:38:21 PMavatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres well, given that you're even less a Cenozoic fauna collector than a theropod one, I think it's understandable  :))

Binomial name: Kentrosaurus aethiopicus Hennig, 1915
Classification:Dinosauria->Ornithischia->Genasauria->Thyreophora->Stegosauria->Stegosauridae
Time: Kimmeridgian-Tithonian (late Jurassic)
Formation: Middle-Upper Saurian Beds of the Tendaguru Formation (present-day Tanzania)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2016
Sculptor: somebody in the atelier of Zhao Chuang
Scale: 1:41 for a smallish specimen, up to 1:60 for the largest one

Once again I want to express my appreciation for your efforts to calculate the scale of your figures, L @Leyster , as I find this useful enough to proceed to purchase relevant ones, such as this Kentrosaurus. I'm looking forward to compare and contrast it with my old Safari one.

Leyster

avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor aw that was expected but I still hoped for it, I researched about trilobites in his book when I was studying for my paleontology exam.

B @bmathison1972 that's useful, thank you!

S @SidB glad to help, my aim with this thread is provide some kind of informations along with the photos

Binomial name: Tanystropheus hydroides Spiekman et al., 2020
Classification: Archosauromorpha->Protorosauria->Tanystropheidae
Time: Anisian-Ladinian (Middle Triassic)
Formation: Besano Formation (present day Italy and Switzerland)
Manifacturer and date of release: Kaiyodo, 2001
Sculptor: Sugaya
Scale: 1:45

While traditionally considered juvenile and adult of the same species, a recent paper (Spiekman et al., 2020) proved that the small, three-pointed-toothed and the bigger, single-pointed-toothed Tanystropheus are actually two different species. The scale is too small to tell which one the model represents, but since it was considered the adult and thus more likely to be used as reference, I suppose it might be referred to T.hydroides.

This is true for the Carnegie, too, whose skull doesn't cleary match neither of the two species

bmathison1972

Funny I was just thinking yesterday I want Tanystropheus in my collection!

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres - do older Safari figures of this species still hold up to what we know about it?

Leyster

B @bmathison1972 I'm not avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres but I think the only two worthwile (and perhaps, excluding an old Starlux and the likes of Mattel and Kenner, the only existing toys of) Tanystropheus are the Carnegie and the Kaiyodo, and, to me, they look more or less equivalent when it comes to accuracy. Neither of them has a skull exceptionally close to one of the two species.

Binomial name: Cretoxyrhina mantelli Agassiz, 1835
Classification: Elasmobranchii->Euselachii->Neoselachii->Selachii->Galeomorphii->Lamniformes->Cretoxyrhinidae
Time: Cenomanian-Campanian (Late Cretaceous)
Formation: teeth of this taxon have been recovered almost in all continents
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2021
Sculptor: somebody in the atelier of Zhao Chuang
Scale: A friend of mine did his thesis on two specimens of this very shark species, so I wanted to extimated the model based on the specimens he studied. It's 1:31 for the largest specimen, 1:26 for the smallest one. One might arge that, being the PNSO Cretoxyrhina cleary male, the lower end of the extimate is the most likely one, but we do not know the exact size range of Cretoxyrhina.

bmathison1972

hey there! Thanks. I'd favor Safari just because I'd want a 'standard-sized' version.

Leyster

Leyster

Binomial name: Fukuivenator paradoxus Azuma et al., 2016
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Maniraptoromorpha->Neocoelurosauria->Maniraptoriformes->Maniraptora->Therizinosauria
Time: Barremian/Aptian (early Cretaceous)
Formation: Kitadani Formation (present day Japan)
Manifacturer and date of release: Qualia, 2023
Sculptor: ?
Scale: 1:14

Primeval12

Leyster

avatar_Primeval12 @Primeval12 through fellow forum user avatar_brettnj @brettnj  ^-^

Halichoeres

Quote from: Leyster on October 20, 2023, 02:12:00 PMB @bmathison1972 I'm not avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres but I think the only two worthwile (and perhaps, excluding an old Starlux and the likes of Mattel and Kenner, the only existing toys of) Tanystropheus are the Carnegie and the Kaiyodo, and, to me, they look more or less equivalent when it comes to accuracy. Neither of them has a skull exceptionally close to one of the two species.

I prefer not to opine on others' collection threads too much. I have both the Safari and Kaiyodo in my collection, but I'd certainly welcome updated versions. It's the one "Carnegie replacement" people don't talk about very often.

I love that Cretoxyrhina, from arguably PNSO's peak year. I've ordered that Fukuivenator, too, although it hasn't shipped yet.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Primeval12

Very cool! How much was it and how did you go about finding it? I know the earlier figures by them are on AliExpress.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: