News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Leyster's Collection (updated 29/03/24)

Started by Leyster, February 27, 2021, 02:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leyster

QuoteI prefer not to opine on others' collection threads too much.
It's no problem for me  ^-^

avatar_Primeval12 @Primeval12 brett has a newsletter where he posts updates about new releases and such on the japanese market. I think I paid it around 8 euros (shipment excluded).

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Leyster

Binomial name: Apatosaurus louisae Marsh, 1877
Classification: Dinosauria->Sauropodomorpha->Bagualosauria->Massopoda->Sauropodiformes->Sauropoda->Eusauropoda->Neosauropoda->Diplodocoidea->Diplodocimorpha->Flagellicaudata->Diplodocidae->Apatosaurinae
Time: Kimmeridgian-Tithonian (Late Jurassic)
Formation: Carnegie Quarry, Dinosaur National Monument Quarry, Brushy Basin Member of the Morrison Formation
Manifacturer and date of release: Haolonggood, 2023
Sculptor: ?
Scale: 1:33 based on CM 3018 (holotype)

And my review of this model
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Concavenator

If only this figure had the correct skull shape, I'd get it. The skull just doesn't look like an Apatosaurus'. I hope I won't be waiting forever if I'm hoping Eofauna, PNSO, Safari or CollectA will also make an Apatosaurus eventually.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Leyster

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator amusingly, you're not the first person to bring up the skull as a not-selling point, but for me it's a detail I could easily ignore. My biggest issue with this figure is the neck.

Binomial name: Polyptychoceras pseudogaultinum Yokoyama, 1890
Classification: Ammonoidea->Ammonitida->Ancyloceratina or Turrilitina->Diplomoceratidae->Polyptychoceratinae
Time: Santonian-Campanian (Late Cretaceous)
Formation: Haborogawa Formation (present-day Japan), Benguela basin (present-day Angola), Gmunden (present-day Austria), Naibuchi Area (present-day Russia)
Manifacturer and date of release: Kaiyodo, 2006
Sculptor: Eiichiro Matsumoto
Scale: 1/4

A paperclip

Concavenator

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Nope, I'm not into that Safari figure very much. From what I've seen, its skull isn't quite right either and it has the nostrils in the outdated position. Sauropod figures are quite big, so I'm particularly picky about them, for me to pick up a sauropod figure it really has to be something else and a taxon I'm particularly interested in. Apatosaurus is also one of my favorite dinosaurs, so I'd really like to have a figure of it that's as good as possible. I get the feeling Safari will update that genus soon (or that I want to believe!), their Apatosaurus is from 2010 and it's a very popular animal. Or PNSO when they release more sauropods at some point, I think an Apatosaurus is kind of inevitable. Or CollectA, if they realize there are sauropods beyond ginormous titanosaurs!

I've considered getting the HLG Apatosaurus and commissioning a skull shape fix just like some people have done with their PNSO theropods. But for the moment, I'd rather wait for another version and get other figures that don't require any "surgery". HLG figures usually have their inaccuracies here and there and for smaller (and cheaper) figures I could be more lenient, but for something that price, I'd rather make sure what I get is a really a top-notch representation. That said, if at any point I feel like I just need to get an Apatosaurus, the HLG will be my go-to unless no superior version is released. :P

L @Leyster  I hadn't noticed the issue with the neck until I read your review. I get what you mean about the skull not being that big of a deal, but still, when the figure is seen from a dorsal view, its head just doesn't look like an Apatosaurus' to me. At the end of the day, not all inaccuracies have the same weight to us.

That paperclip looks different than the average one! Also, the title of the thread could use an update. ;) Reading it is like time-travelling to one year ago!

Megalosaurus

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Halichoeres

I prefer to think of it as a brass musical instrument!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

JimoAi

Leyster

avatar_Megalosaurus @Megalosaurus thank you!

Well, while we decide what Polyptychoceras exactly resembles...

Binomial name: Loxodonta africana (Blumenbach, 1797)
Classification: Placentalia->Atlantogenata->Afrotheria->Paenungulata->Tethytheria->Proboscidea->Elephantiformes->Elephantimorpha->Elephantidae->Elephantinae
Time: Chibanian(Late Pleistocene) - Recent
Formation: sub-Saharian Africa
Manifacturer and date of release: Eikoh, 2019
Sculptor: ?
Scale: 1:32

One of the best African elephant figure available, and the nicest one according to a post on STS Forum I agree with.

Compared with the Haolonggood Apatosaurus

SidB

Yes, that seems to be a striking pachyderm, L @Leyster . I'd been told that it comes unpainted, is that true of your piece too?

Concavenator

That comparison with the elephant is interesting. For us elephants are huge, so sauropods are a league of their own.  :))

Leyster

S @SidB I never heard of unpainted versions, mine came fully painted.

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator that's why I started collecting a few modern animals, too. They help give a sense of scale to dinosaurs. I always appreciated those pages in dinosaur books which shows different species in scale, like the one below (by Andrey Atuchin)

SidB

Thanks, @ Leyster, that's good to know - I'll try to acquire one then.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Leyster on November 18, 2023, 08:07:46 AMS @SidB I never heard of unpainted versions, mine came fully painted.

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator that's why I started collecting a few modern animals, too. They help give a sense of scale to dinosaurs. I always appreciated those pages in dinosaur books which shows different species in scale, like the one below (by Andrey Atuchin)

Now we know where Eofauna's Atlasaurus came from (short guy in the middle).
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Leyster

avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono that spreadsheet is from a book by the Eofauna team itself.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Leyster on November 18, 2023, 01:27:49 PMavatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono that spreadsheet is from a book by the Eofauna team itself.

Oh, gotcha. So many species there... ::hint hint Eofauna::
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Leyster

Leyster

Binomial name: Gorgosaurus libratus Lambe, 1914
Classification:Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Tyrannosauroidea->Tyrannosauridae->Albertosaurinae
Time: Campanian (Late Cretaceous)
Formation: Dinosaur Park Formation, Oldman Formation, Belly River Group (present-day Canada); Judith River Group (present-day USA)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2023
Sculptor: somebody in the atelier of Zhao Chuang
Scale: 1:25 based on ROM 1247

And my review of it

Concavenator

I admit I was surprised when I read its scale is 1:25. Then I read it's a subadult and made sense.  :))

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: