News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ninjatitan The Earliest Known Titansaur

Started by Dynomikegojira, March 01, 2021, 05:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dynomikegojira

Meet Ninjatitan zapatai of the
Bajada Colorada Formation which may be the earliest known titanosaur that also coexisted with Bajadasaurus and Leinkupal
https://www.ameghiniana.org.ar/index.php/ameghiniana/article/view/3376

Loon

I gotta say, Ninjatitan has to be the coolest Dinosaur name in recent memory.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Loon on March 01, 2021, 06:08:58 PM
I gotta say, Ninjatitan has to be the coolest Dinosaur name in recent memory.
Ditto. I Could imagine it being in some 1980s-2000s cartoon series.

Blade-of-the-Moon

stargatedalek

How old is the person who named this thing?

Stegotyranno420

In lots of Spanish speaking countries, the J is usually pronounced as H. So its spelt Ninja- but pronounced Ninha-
Of course, this is based on what i heard. And its the same case with bajadasaurus

And why cant paleontologist have fun with names, they are people, just like us

CityRaptor

So first Kaijutitan, then Ninjatitan...so what's next? Geishatitan?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Subduction

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 01, 2021, 10:04:38 PM
In lots of Spanish speaking countries, the J is usually pronounced as H. So its spelt Ninja- but pronounced Ninha-
Of course, this is based on what i heard. And its the same case with bajadasaurus

Being part Cuban, I can confirm that "j" is usually pronounced as an "h" in Spanish. So I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that Ninjatitan is supposed to be pronounced as "nin-ha-titan" and not "ninja-titan". Although I'd love to see some animal being named "ninja". :'D

Otherwise, I completely agree. There are only so many descriptive terms you can give to an animal.

Thank you for sharing this article though, Dynomikegojira! I wish I could read the full thing. But it's always exciting to discover a new animal, especially since it's thought to represent a basal/early titanosaur!

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Subduction on March 02, 2021, 06:53:19 PM

Being part Cuban, I can confirm that "j" is usually pronounced as an "h" in Spanish. So I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that Ninjatitan is supposed to be pronounced as "nin-ha-titan" and not "ninja-titan". Although I'd love to see some animal being named "ninja". :'D

Otherwise, I completely agree. There are only so many descriptive terms you can give to an animal.

Thank you for sharing this article though, Dynomikegojira! I wish I could read the full thing. But it's always exciting to discover a new animal, especially since it's thought to represent a basal/early titanosaur!
Eyy S @Subduction its so great to see ya!

Subduction

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 02, 2021, 06:59:27 PM

Eyy S @Subduction its so great to see ya!

Aww thank you! I appreciate it! :D

Stegotyranno420

Well turns out its supposed to be Ninja and not Ninj(h)a
Quote from one of the wikipedium reference:
QuoteThis titanosaur was baptized as Ninjatitan zapatai in recognition of the Argentine researcher Sebastián Apesteguía, nicknamed 'El Ninja', who promoted the first campaign at the Bajada Colorada site in 2010 and the technician Rogelio Zapata, who participated in the field work that year.

Dynomikegojira

Welcome and this makes me hope we'll discover a Jurassic member of the group one day and South America I bet will be the best place to look for it.

Subduction

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 03, 2021, 01:43:45 AM
QuoteThis titanosaur was baptized as Ninjatitan zapatai in recognition of the Argentine researcher Sebastián Apesteguía, nicknamed 'El Ninja', who promoted the first campaign at the Bajada Colorada site in 2010 and the technician Rogelio Zapata, who participated in the field work that year.

Ah shoot. Well, that's okay. At least it was named after a researcher and not so much the word "ninja".

Wallnut

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 03, 2021, 01:43:45 AM

That is interesting.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.