News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Diprotodon sexual dimorphism

Started by andrewsaurus rex, March 10, 2021, 12:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

The general consensus is that Diprotodon was quite sexually dimorphic.  What was once thought to be 2 co-existing species one large, one small, is now believed to b one species with the larger specimens being male and the smaller female.

The smaller animals are described as being 'half the size' of the large ones.  Generally, when size is referenced, it refers to weight, not physical dimensions.

So, given that the large (males) were around 2m tall at the shoulder, that would put the small (females) at around 1.6 meters at the shoulder (the smaller being 80% of the larger in dimension, which translates to about half the weight).

Can anyone confirm my thinking?  I can find lots of references for the dimensions of the large animals but nothing except the 'half the size' reference for the smaller. I think i'm right but want to confirm that the smaller animals weren't 1m at the shoulder.

btw the size difference I've outlines is about the same as it is for the Eastern Grey Kangaroo, where females are about half the weight and 75%-80% the height of the males.

austrosaurus

I've worked a fair bit with marsupials and in my experience your numbers are pretty accurate as a ball-park estimation.

andrewsaurus rex

thanks for the confirmation, I appreciate it.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.