News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Spino vs T-rex, who would ACTUALLY win?

Started by Lynx, March 27, 2021, 12:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Oh man, the classic might that has been causing arguments for ages. Time for me to resolve this wItH tHe PoWeR oF kNoWlaGE!

So first off, lets get over their basic "stats" and "style"

Spino;

Bite force: 4,200 lbs (according to 2014 research) So about 4ish tons
Speed: Currently unknown, but likely not very fast on land
Agility: It's agility was probably best in the water, but likely poor on land
Biting Style: Observing a spino tooth, it seemed to be better for stabbing then cutting.
Other Weapons: Both the massive claws and the tail would likely come in handy.

T-rex

Bite force: 12,000 pounds, so about 12 tons
Speed: 17ish miles per hour
Agility:Due to rex being an ambush predator, its likely it had decent agility.
Biting Style: Crushing and 'puncture and pull'
Other Weapons: Not much, but I guess a body slam sort of counts

So, who would win? Well, it depends. Here's a mini story on what most likely would have happened:
As the sun set the mighty apex predator bent down for a drink, luckily her belly was full. A successful ambush allowed her to feed her soon-to-be adult T-rexes. Down in the depths, a king of the waters lay. Sensing the ripples, he paddled closer and got ready to aim. The tide came out and the murk started to vanish. Now aware of the threat, the tyrant plunged her massive jaws into the water, aiming for the ambushers throat. She tossed him onto land, only to be met in the face with a nasty tear into her snout. The spinosaurus arose again, and lunged forward, locking on the rexes neck. However, she was quickly able to make it out before the bleed came in. Before he could turn his head, the spinos neck was already crushed. Collapsing, he took a final breath. Despite having vital injuries, she lived yet another day.
An oversized house cat.

Stegotyranno420

No.
While I do love a good animal fight, this is just too controversial.
Besides, why does the winner/predator always gets to be female. I never understood that

I say we should lock this thread

suspsy

I really don't have any interest in participating in what I consider to be an insanely tired discussion, but I see no reason why this thread should be locked. If there are people here who want to talk about this, then they should be allowed to do so.

Anyone who doesn't wish to participate can simply ignore the thread. Easy solution.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Bread

Quote from: suspsy on March 27, 2021, 01:42:27 AM
I really don't have any interest in participating in what I consider to be an insanely tired discussion
I can agree with this statement 100%. Especially since I find Carcharodontosaurus and Spinosaurus interactions (or whatever you want to call it) more interesting as these two animals lived in the same region and time. However, I'll still throw in a little bit of my two cents in.

Whenever I see this discussion, no one accounts for the weight of each animal. Spinosaurus' largest specimen (MSNM-v-  4047) being roughly about 6-7 tons, with the largest Tyrannosaurus specimens (Sue and Scotty) being almost over 9 tons. That's quite a difference in weight there. Could a fully grown Spinosaurus submerge a fully grown Tyrannosaurus or even any other animal that weighs almost 3 tons more than itself?

I always felt with Tyrannosaurus or any other predator with a crushing bite force that once they have a stable grip on the prey/opponent the life of the unfortunate opponent/prey is over....

Now, a small question/skepticism. I feel like a body slam would be quite difficult for the animal to attempt. Unless this has been seen in fossil records/discoveries on Tyrannosaurus bones, body slams seem to be risky as it could damage or kill itself with this strategy. I don't mean to nitpick at that, but I felt as that could be questioned.

Stegotyranno420

I never understood why Spinosaurus is so lightweight. Doesn't it have super dense bones, not to mention it was semi aquatic?

Lynx

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 27, 2021, 01:23:50 AM
No.
While I do love a good animal fight, this is just too controversial.
Besides, why does the winner/predator always gets to be female. I never understood that

I say we should lock this thread

I just made it female so it would not be as confusing. I have am not trying to cause arguments, but instead trying to show who would most likely win if the fight actually occured. In my opinion, I don't think this thread should be locked right after it was posted. If any arguments occur, the thread can be locked.
An oversized house cat.

Bread

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 27, 2021, 04:33:08 AM
I never understood why Spinosaurus is so lightweight. Doesn't it have super dense bones, not to mention it was semi aquatic?
I wouldn't say Spinosaurus is lightweight at all, but just not as heavy as a Tyrannosaurus. Looking at their complete skeletons from above, you can see that Tyrannosaurus is much wider than a Spinosaurus (I am not home at the moment so I was unable to post an image of the above POV skeletons). From this point of view, most would assume Tyrannosaurus is quite heavier than a Spinosaurus, probably the heaviest therapod to ever exist even comparing it to Carcharodontosaurus and Giganotosaurus. Of course you need to consider these animals having their full potential contents applied to their skeletons, ex: muscle, fat, etc....

Also, I don't know anything about bone density, so I can't really answer or reply to that. Sorry.

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Lynx @Lynx i understand, but this is just one of many cases

avatar_Bread @Bread Makes sense. also, isn't the specimen we have of spinosaurus not fully grown or really small?

Bread

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 the specimen I mentioned above, MSNM-v-4047, is the largest discovered. Of course it is very fragmentary, but when calculated it is quite large with well over 15 meters in length. Again, even though Spinosaurus is longer it does not necessarily mean it is heavier than Tyrannosaurus. Scott Hartman is where I get this information, his reconstruction and drawing site primarily.

Note: I doubt a Spinosaurus could get much larger than the specimen discovered, maybe a tad longer or heavier but highly doubt anything exceeding 16+ meters. It would especially be remarkable if it were to ever exceed the weight of a Tyrannosaurus.

Stegotyranno420

On the contrary, i believe spinosaurus can exceed such sizes

Bread

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 27, 2021, 11:21:52 PM
On the contrary, i believe spinosaurus can exceed such sizes
Its possible for a Spinosaurus to reach over 15 meters, but I wouldn't presume over 17 meters. However, definitely not exceeding the weight of Tyrannosaurus. Spinosaurus skeleton is not nearly wide enough to build so much weight as a Tyrannosaurus.

GojiraGuy1954

It all depends on environment. If you throw a lion into water with a shark, it will die. If you throw a shark onto land with a lion, it will also die.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

amargasaurus cazaui

Probably a better discussion to be had in who would win...godzilla or the mosasaurus from Jurassic world.....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 12, 2021, 06:24:11 AM
Probably a better discussion to be had in who would win...godzilla or the mosasaurus from Jurassic world.....
Mosasaurus disintegrates upon hearing Godzilla's roar let alone fighting him

stargatedalek

I dunno, Spinosaurus would certainly have the advantage in a realistic encounter, but Tyrannosaurus would win in a goofy fabricated deathmatch scenario.

Realistically, Spinosaurus has that long neck, it could just hunker down and prod at any attacking large theropods to keep them at bay. Tyrannosaurus isn't going to finish that off without pushing through those attacks and taking the brunt unless it catches Spinosaurus completely off guard or the two are forcibly pushed together.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 28, 2021, 10:19:12 PM
I dunno, Spinosaurus would certainly have the advantage in a realistic encounter, but Tyrannosaurus would win in a goofy fabricated deathmatch scenario.

Realistically, Spinosaurus has that long neck, it could just hunker down and prod at any attacking large theropods to keep them at bay. Tyrannosaurus isn't going to finish that off without pushing through those attacks and taking the brunt unless it catches Spinosaurus completely off guard or the two are forcibly pushed together.
Spino has a weak jaw and teeth unsuited for doing any damage to megatheropods

stargatedalek

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on October 28, 2021, 10:45:14 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on October 28, 2021, 10:19:12 PM

Spino has a weak jaw and teeth unsuited for doing any damage to megatheropods
Nonsense. Damage is damage. There is a fossil of an Acrocanthosaurus that died due to complications from injuries from a crocodile, like, a modern sized crocodile. If it breaks skin an animal is going to try to stay clear. Those long jaws would place an awful lot of holes across a large area. Plus Spinosaurus doesn't need its bite to kill an attacker, only to keep it at bay or to hold it within range of the forelimbs.

Lynx

Oh wow, people are still talking here!
Gonna be honest with you, I don't see why I wrote an entire essay.
Realistically, they wouldn't be active competitors for food, so the fight wouldn't happen even if they did live together.
If they did stand up for a fight to the death, I'm not really sure. Rex would have the advantage, but Spinosaurus could tank some attacks.
I mean, you never know. If a giraffe can kick the ass of a lion, no doubt spino could do some major and potentially fatal damage to a rex. Remember, a fight isn't always to the death, and it also isn't always about the offense. Somebody could be punching me, and I can act defensively, grabbing their arm and doing an armbar to stop future attacks, or dodging the entire attack in general.
I'll let you debate it out, I'm honestly not sure.
An oversized house cat.

Bread

Looking back at my previous posts made few months back on this topic, I still agree with it. I do agree with avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek that damage is damage. Although, I don't think it would be that easy for Spinosaurus to hold back a Tyrannosaurus? Factoring weight in here, I just couldn't see a Spinosaurus holding back a Tyrannosaurus.

Also, if anything both animals would eventually die to their wounds, if it were to the death match.

stargatedalek

Not literally holding. No in a fictionalized death battle Tyrannosaurus would almost certainly win by charging through, tanking any attacks severe or otherwise and finishing Spinosaurus off up close fairly easily.

But more realistically, assuming they were to encounter one another in the wild and have long term stakes to making bad engagements, Spinosaurus would have a tactical advantage due to its superior reach. Picture a goose and an eagle fighting on the ground, doesn't matter how much stronger the eagle is if it can't get in close enough for a solid attack without being subjected to a flurry of counters.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: