You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

It causes fear: new abelisaurid Llukalkan

Started by Halichoeres, March 31, 2021, 03:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

It's pretty fragmentary, consisting of a brain case and parts of the upper jaw, but it appears to be a new taxon, which the authors have named Llukalkan aliocranianus. "Llukalkan" means "one who causes fear or frightens [someone]" in Mapudungun (the language of the indigenous South American Mapuche people).

The skull:

And a painting by Jorge Blanco:

It appears to be open access, but if not I can furnish a pdf: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02724634.2020.1877151

And a popular write-up: https://scitechdaily.com/the-one-who-causes-fear-extremely-powerful-new-meat-eating-predator-discovered/
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Carnoking

andrewsaurus rex

how big is the scale bar, do you know?  5cm? 10cm?

Newt

Scale bar is 5 cm; preserved maximum skull length 39.2 cm according to the paper.

Man, Patagonia was just an abelisaur factory!

andrewsaurus rex

thanks Newt.

that's beautiful artwork....I may have to modify a Collecta Carnotaurus figure into Llukalkan....

HD-man

How do you pronounce Llukalkan? I was thinking loo-cull-kin, but wanna make sure.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Stegotyranno420

Too my knowlegde, after studying Huicllian and Mapuche languages, i think you got to stress the L's very much. And based on what i was able to find, its more likely is KAL(is in California) rather than CULL(think pull but rather with a c instead of a p). The Kan part is more like KHAN as in Genghis Khan rather than Kin as in Pumpkin.
Sorry if I'm wrong, I'm just basing it off what i know and what i was able to find, and I'm not specialized into this branch of linguistics, I'm mainly a Indo-European guy, occasionally Arabo-Semitic

Gothmog the Baryonyx

That is very helpful avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 almost every thought I've had about this genus since it was described was about how to pronounce it.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Bread

More abelisaurs!!! Love the artwork for this new genus too.

Here is my only gripe.... Companies will still continue to produce Carnotaurus and ignore other abelisaurs.

andrewsaurus rex

yup......it's because they all look very much alike, most aren't all that big and carnotaurus has the cool horns and is much better known.  i'd love to see more variety with them too..

HD-man

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on April 03, 2021, 07:17:23 AMToo my knowlegde, after studying Huicllian and Mapuche languages, i think you got to stress the L's very much. And based on what i was able to find, its more likely is KAL(is in California) rather than CULL(think pull but rather with a c instead of a p). The Kan part is more like KHAN as in Genghis Khan rather than Kin as in Pumpkin.
Sorry if I'm wrong, I'm just basing it off what i know and what i was able to find, and I'm not specialized into this branch of linguistics, I'm mainly a Indo-European guy, occasionally Arabo-Semitic

So loo-kal-khan? Just making sure.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Subduction

A friend of mine shared this discovery with me over the weekend. It's always exciting whenever new species get discovered! Thank you for sharing the links as well. :D

Halichoeres

Quote from: HD-man on April 05, 2021, 10:52:09 AM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on April 03, 2021, 07:17:23 AMToo my knowlegde, after studying Huicllian and Mapuche languages, i think you got to stress the L's very much. And based on what i was able to find, its more likely is KAL(is in California) rather than CULL(think pull but rather with a c instead of a p). The Kan part is more like KHAN as in Genghis Khan rather than Kin as in Pumpkin.

So loo-kal-khan? Just making sure.

That's almost right. The initial consonant is more like the "gli" in Italian. So it's more like lyoo-kal-khan. I find it easier to say if I articulate the L on my alveolar ridge rather than against my teeth, but your mileage may vary.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

You comment that the skull is quite fragmentary but honestly it is much more complete than that of other species of theropod dinosaurs. I hope Collecta does in the next year? a figure of that terrible theropod. I understand that there is more life beyond the carnotaurus and even the majungasaurus. We need more abelisaurids well represented in the toy market like Llukalkan, even a very well-known dinosaur from India like the Rajasaurus, the latter being very poorly represented in the world of collecting, even in resin figures.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.