You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaurs stayed and nested in the Arctic

Started by ITdactyl, June 24, 2021, 07:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITdactyl

paleoart by James Havens, University of Alaska Fairbanks

As the header states, the cold didn't bother them anyway... badumtsss...

The paper:
https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(21)00739-9?utm_source=EA#secsectitle0010

Easy reading:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2282122-dinosaurs-lived-in-the-arctic-around-70-million-years-ago/

Now they'll have to remake "Walking with Dinosaurs 3d", because the migration plot has just been debunked. ;D

Ok, I'll stop now.

Neosodon

I like the picture. If dinosaurs like hadrosaurs were living in the arctic year around they must have had unique adaptations for that. Like how would they keep warm and not starve?

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Halichoeres

Cool, thanks for sharing. And always lovely to see James Havens art.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

andrewsaurus rex

hard to  believe all those animals could survive a long dark winter.  The herbivores especially.  With their large size they would need large amounts of vegetation to sustain them.  Even musk ox barely make it through a winter.  And it's hard to fathom how the young dinosaurs would survive, as they wouldn't have the large body mass of the adults to help retain heat.  Perhaps the young burrowed.

At least it explains what Nanuqsaurus ate during the winter.  I always wondered how a large carnivore could survive a winter if all its prey migrated away.

Newt

Interesting stuff!

Re: herbivore survival -  this was not the modern tundra. The average annual temperature according to the paper was about 6.3 C, certainly not cold enough for the permafrost that limits vegetation growth in the high Arctic today, and only a little cooler than, say, Vancouver or Minneapolis. Of those, the climate was probably closer to maritime Vancouver (consistently cool with relatively mild summer and winter temperatures, compared to the more extreme conditions in continental Minneapolis), considering the Prince Creek Formation's proximity to the ocean. The PCF ecosystem would have been temperature- and vegetation-wise more similar to today's Pacific Northwest. There would have been plenty of plant biomass available all winter, even if the trees were deciduous.

No doubt the long dark winters still necessitated some unusual behaviors by the inhabitants, but they were no more in danger of winter starvation than the deer in my area.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.