You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Has anyone here painted their BotM 3D Printed Ceratopsian Skull?

Started by HornedFace, August 13, 2021, 04:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornedFace

As the title says, has anyone here done additional work on their Ceratopsian Skulls?
If so, do you have any advice/pictures to share?
I'm afraid I'll mess it up without an example to follow, but at the same time it seems like a shame to just keep it plain white.

Justin_

The only custom I've seen is someone adding greenstuff flesh to the Wendiceratops skull. Do you want general advice for painting a 3D print or something specific for painting bones?

stargatedalek

I've painted 3D printed bird skulls, and I found a good look was to start with white and then do a wash coat in brown.

ITdactyl

I don't have the Ceratopsian skull set, but I've worked on 3d printed models of dinosaur bones.

Mostly I followed the steps shown in the video below - except one step: the sanding bit. Sanding can help get rid of the print marks, but there's also the danger of damaging the fine grooves and furrows that the artist designed on the figure. Maybe you have more steady hands and sharper eyes than I do. If you do choose to sand the figures, I'd recommend starting at 1200 grit and finishing with a higher grit. Having tried 300-600 grit sand paper on Shapeways models, I can honestly say that I do not like the end result.

A step not shown in the video that I still did is priming the skull in gray (cheap acrylic rattle can) followed by some white sprayed from an angle (zenithal highlighting). This was just a force of habit from miniature painting and not really required - Shapeways prints tend to suck up and bond well with paint, and don't really need the primer.

For the shadows, I used burnt umber darkened with a little black. My base is pale sand (any off white is ok) and I used Ivory as my final highlight. I also used sponges and cheapo makeup brushes to paint, instead of regular paint brushes. Stippling with sponges/makeup brushes lends that porous chalky finish that completes the bone look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w2IAk18C7I

Sorry for the wall of text and for not having pictures to share.  Goodluck with your project and have fun. ;D

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.