News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Carnotaurus Skin Described

Started by suspsy, August 14, 2021, 02:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Rugops and Rajasaurus may only be known from partial skulls, but the overall body plan for abelisaurids tends to be pretty generic, just like it is with tyrannosaurids and ceratopsids.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: suspsy on August 16, 2021, 02:42:55 PM
Rugops and Rajasaurus may only be known from partial skulls, but the overall body plan for abelisaurids tends to be pretty generic, just like it is with tyrannosaurids and ceratopsids.
I'm gonna have to agree with you on this. Well almost. As much as I love to see a Rajasaurus, it's just too fragmentary.  I mean one can always make a Rajasaurus fogure and if its inaccurate later they could just use it as another taxon or vice versum

Leyster

Uhm not that much

and everything between

The big problem is that many abelisauroids are fragmentary or poorly described or both, so they all end up restored as the few ones that are well known. It's the same problem there's with carcharodontosauridae, except that the latter are even worse.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

suspsy

Quote from: Leyster on August 16, 2021, 03:43:09 PM
Uhm not that much

and everything between

The big problem is that many abelisauroids are fragmentary or poorly described or both, so they all end up restored as the few ones that are well known. It's the same problem there's with carcharodontosauridae, except that the latter are even worse.

That image proves my point.

Leyster

Quote from: suspsy on August 16, 2021, 03:51:33 PM

If with "generic" you mean "they have short hands", then yes, but they are quite different in general shape and proportions. It's like saying "all Dromaeosaurids look the same", which is how David Silva reasoned when making the first BOTM series, then ending with messing the body of all the non-Velociraptorines since it's not that simple. Keep note of the weirdly shaped tail vetebrae Carnotaurus has, which probably gave its tail an unique form.

Also, when somebody tried restoring Rajasaurus it ended up with a smaller head than Majungasaurus, so it's possible it was like the old sausage Majungasaurus restorations.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

stargatedalek

Those all look identical to me. Skorpiovenator however...

Leyster

Wait a minute. Are you all seeing only the image with the Majungasauruses? 'cause of course they look almost identical, they're the same animal. But there should be a Carnotaurus skeletal just above.

Skorpiovenator is a good idea btw, being relatively complete.

Sim

L @Leyster, I can see the Carnotaurus and Majungasaurus skeletals.  Carnotaurus and Majungasaurus do look quite different.  Their skulls are very different, Carnotaurus has an oval-shaped torso while Majungasaurus has a sausage-shaped torso, Carno has longer legs, and Carno has the upwards-pointing caudal ribs that gave it a beefier tail than Majunga.  As for Skorpiovenator, it seems to have a similar body to Carnotaurus.

suspsy

Quote from: Leyster on August 16, 2021, 05:23:20 PM
Quote from: suspsy on August 16, 2021, 03:51:33 PM

If with "generic" you mean "they have short hands", then yes, but they are quite different in general shape and proportions.

Meh, they're still similar enough overall to make for good toys. Again, there's similar variation in proportions and bone structure among tyrannosaurids and ceratopsids, but if you removed the heads, you'd be hard-pressed to distinguish most of them. I've never thought much of the argument that incomplete dinosaurs shouldn't receive toys, especially if their skulls are reasonably well known.

Leyster

avatar_Sim @Sim that was exactly my point, thank you!  ^-^

Faelrin

The artwork in the thumbnail is definitely going to mislead people (or rather already has judging from the comments) into thinking they found longer horns, especially in combination with a clickbait title. And while there is evidence to suggest the horns could be longer because of keratin extensions, I'm feeling this literal bull horn look is taking it into an excessive direction.

Carnotaurus was also not the first non avian dinosaur discovered with extensive integument. That likely belongs to Edmontosaurus annectens in the 1800's. As far as theropods go, then yes Carnotaurus was, and still remains one of the best in this regard to this day.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.