News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Satsuma's Winged Dragon

Started by ITdactyl, August 26, 2021, 03:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITdactyl

https://www.kts-tv.co.jp/news/7675/

The Japanese are calling it "Satsuma Tsubasa  Ryu" - that is, Satsuma winged dragon or simply the Satsuma Pterosaur.

The 7cm fossil of a leg bone was discovered in November 2020 on the Ogushi coast of Shishi Island, Nagashima Town. It was found by fossil hunter Satoshi Utsonomiya and is the first pterosaur fossil from the Kagoshima Prefecture of Japan.  The fossil is currently being studied at the Kagoshima Prefectural Museum and has yet to be classified - though they seem to have skewed towards an ornithocheirid classification.

The figure was produced for the fossil discovery press conference held today. We don't know if and when the figure will hit the collector's market, but I'm sure we'll hear more in the coming days.

*These images were shared by the Kaiyodo official facebook page.
**The Japanese word for pterosaur is "Yokuryuu"; using "Tsubasa Ryuu" is just for dramatic effect because they directly translate into the same thing - winged dragon.

Halichoeres

That's a really cool model. I believe that's Goro Furuta, who made some of the models for the Dinotales line, like Sinemys for example. It would be nice to see some good prehistorics from Kaiyodo--they've had a pretty boring few years.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Flaffy

Oh wow! Hopefully this means Kaiyodo will finally dip their toes into interesting prehistorics again.

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

ITdactyl

Nice catch avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres , that is indeed Furuta-san. He was credited as the sculptor of the piece in the report, but my attention was on the figure itself and forgot to credit him in the post. My bad. Hopefully Kaiyodo includes the figure in an upcoming lineup.

As for the look, I think it fits well with the rest of Furuta-san's recent sculptures (with the hyper-realistic details and poses - consider his angry Archaeopteryx and Pterodaustro above). It reminds me of an angry pelican though. ;D

This article has pictures of the original fossils:
https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASP8V6DKLP8TTLTB008.html?fbclid=IwAR1N5Mm7T4djMmgSZeP_K1Qq41AlARo-VmtwA11ZZ9S8srSnVTqz3jqgy5k

Psittacoraptor

It looks like a demonic toothed pelican.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.