News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva’s Cyberzoic Series

Started by suspsy, September 24, 2021, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Behold Achillobator! And an exciting announcement!

QuoteWe have a first look today at another large 1/18th scale Dromaeosaur figure coming to Beasts of the Mesozoic and Cyberzoic. Here is the Achillobator giganticus! Brilliantly sculpted by Jake Baardse.
And for more on Cyberzoic, check back tomorrow for the first preview concept images as well as info on the upcoming releases!
[/b]

https://www.facebook.com/113487525333128/posts/5765803696768121/?d=n

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Psittacoraptor

Pics for those who don't want to give FB clicks:

Not sure if I like the vulture-like feathering with the naked head, maybe it will grow on me. It's interesting, though, and it's always good to see different interpretations!

Flaffy

Carnoking

Very interesting concept, but I'll leave it to those more knowledgeable than I to determine how feasible it is. Either way, it looks like the Cyberzoic series is shaping up to be something else I'll have to worry about (although I'll hold off until I can get whatever he releases without armor and riders and weapons and what have you)

stargatedalek

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on March 10, 2022, 09:01:44 PMNot sure if I like the vulture-like feathering with the naked head, maybe it will grow on me. It's interesting, though, and it's always good to see different interpretations!
I hope they go for a turkey look with display colours/patterns instead of just red or grey.

CityRaptor

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 11, 2022, 12:56:07 AM
Quote from: Psittacoraptor on March 10, 2022, 09:01:44 PMNot sure if I like the vulture-like feathering with the naked head, maybe it will grow on me. It's interesting, though, and it's always good to see different interpretations!
I hope they go for a turkey look with display colours/patterns instead of just red or grey.

So you are hoping for a six foot turkey? ;)

The bald head was rather obvious based on the earlier teasers.

Honestly speaking while I'm not a fan of the look, it's likely that some feathered, non-avian dinosaurs had naked heads.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

DragonRider02

I'd love to see King Vulture colors on this one.

stargatedalek

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 11, 2022, 08:22:26 AMHonestly speaking while I'm not a fan of the look, it's likely that some feathered, non-avian dinosaurs had naked heads.
Oh for sure, it adds an awful lot to the potential diversity of appearances and is an easy way for a group to become visually distinct from competition. Ornithomimosaurs in particular may have had bald or lightly feathered heads for thermoregulation if any of them were endurance runners like ostriches, though I'm uncertain if any were?

It's just that vultures are a bad reference for this given why their heads are bald. Despite the persistent myth that it's to keep their feathers from being dirtied while feeding, it's actually for thermoregulation! That's why they have the neck ruff, they tuck the neck and as much of the head as they can into it while flying at high altitudes, but they're in serious competition and need to descend quickly when they find food, extending their necks so that the rapid shift in temperature doesn't make them overheat.

This is why most birds of prey descend much slower than vultures do, and why falcons are often seen panting in warm climates or after particularly steep descents.

It's also why gulls and corvids don't have bald heads, even species found exclusively in warm regions. They fly at lower altitudes.

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

BlueKrono

I might be down for another Acrocanthosaurus. But the rest are an easy pass for me.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Since the Cryolophosaurus will be feathered, that's a must for me, along with the 2 Dromaeosaurids.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

indohyus

Nice selection, but not really interested in grabbing many. Maybe Utahraptor

stargatedalek

Quote from: suspsy on March 11, 2022, 06:43:44 PM
Well, there we go. Thoughts?

I assume this is excluding repaints? Or is Dryptosaurus going to be the only repaint in the set?

CarnotaurusKing

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx Where was it mentioned that the Cryolophosaurus would be feathered?

Well, there goes my wallet. So far, I'm only interested in the Utahraptor, Dilophosaurus and Edmontonia, but I'm excited to see what they all look like. I hope Mr Silva also makes some of these in 1/35 scale, like the Allosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus and Stegosaurus.

Dusty Wren

I...am actually pretty disappointed that there isn't a hadrosaur on that list. I've been hoping for a BotM hadrosaur for a while, and I figured we'd get a least one. Bummer.
Check out my customs thread!

Carnoking

A super articulated Carnotaurus? Sign me the heck up!

Very excited for this list. Again, probably going to hold off on the whole Cyberzoic angle but the dinosaur themselves are a must!

thedeadlymoose

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on March 11, 2022, 07:33:32 PM
avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx Where was it mentioned that the Cryolophosaurus would be feathered?

David confirms in the comments (to the picture of the list, not the main post) that the Cryolophosaurus will be feathered.

Link to main post: https://www.facebook.com/113487525333128/posts/5768571169824707/

Confirmed repaints:
Yutyrannus
Tyrannosaurus rex
Dryptosaurus
Triceratops
Styracosaurus
Diabloceratops
Potentially others.

Personally I'm really happy with the choices for the two non-Tyrannosaurus so far -- he picked the two big feathered species!

If the line succeeds, there are plans for:
Hadrosaurs
Ankylosaurs
Spinosaurs
Sauropods
Other families

Here's the full text of his post for those who can't do Facebook:

QuoteWHAT IS CYBERZOIC? It's finally time for us to take our first glimpse at this new world!

'In the distant future, the remnants of humanity are in a struggle to earn their right to survive on a new planet, protected by the formidable 'Dragons'. With limited defenses, Earth's mightiest beasts are resurrected through science and technology, giving the humans more than a fighting chance against the reptilian natives. But after splitting into several opposing clans, humanity's biggest threat may still be themselves.'

It's been nearly a year since I began working on Cyberzoic with talented concept artist Ross Persichetti, who did the awesome concept art that you see here. These two images depict the main clan of the story called the Technologists, one of the five human clans, each having a unique look.

Here are some key facts about the line:
- The dinosaurs will have cyber-enhanced armor (hence the name of the era) but there are no cyborg dinosaurs or cyborg dragons
- the dinosaurs are just as scientifically accurate as they are in Beasts of the Mesozoic, and the same figure molds will be used allowing for extra compatibility with BotM.
- this is a sci-fi story, but is still grounded in our own reality, albeit in the future. Thus BotM could be seen as a 'prequel' to this story.
-there will be plenty of humans and a few robot characters, many of which are planned for the 3 3/4" figure treatment.
-Each Cyberzoic dinosaur release will have a BotM counterpart color, thus a 'female' (CZ) and 'male' (BotM) version of each species. However many BotM releases will still be exclusive to that line.
- A mini comic with the on-going story is planned to come with each figure.
- Two preview figures will be first- Utahraptor and Achillobater. The remainder will be supported via crowdfunding, though the platform is yet to be determined.
-Cyberzoic is not limited to just dinosaurs, as the story incorporates wildlife from multiple eras which could also be made as action figures later on.
-some existing BotM figures will be reintroduced into Cyberzoic with new colors, including but not limited to: Yutyrannus, Tyrannosaurus rex, Dryptosaurus, Triceratops, Styracosaurus, and Diabloceratops.
- the 'Dragons' will follow a natural history aesthetic as compared to the traditional 'fantasy' look. These figures will vary in size and will be released less frequently than the dinosaurs.

Also shown here is the initial list of the planned dinosaur species to be created for Cyberzoic. (There will be additional new species for BotM which will be announced later.) Families such as Hadrosaurs, Ankylosaurs, Spinosaurs, Sauropods, and many others are expected to be introduced later if the line is successful, but we can only commit to so many figures at once if they're to be given the proper attention. I'm sure there will be plenty more questions so feel free to ask below!
I'm very excited to have the opportunity to bring this line to life and I hope that it finds the support that it needs. There will be much more progress and announcements in the months to come, so get ready... the CYBERZOIC ERA HAS BEGUN.

John

So there will be Ceratosaurus nasicornis included this time?Count me in!
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Faelrin

So glad to see the bulk of my favorite theropods on this list (Carnotaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, Dilophosaurus, Cryolophosaurus, aside from the previous confirmed Utahraptor, and Allosaurus). Also, aside from the recently revealed Achillobator (which has no figures to my knowledge), Edmontonia has not had an accurate figure since the 90's Battat one, or the older Dino Riders one, so that is very exciting (plus it fits in nicely alongside the existing and upcoming Dinosaur Park formation species in the BotM line so far). I'm also glad to see Sauropelta as well. I was always impressed with his kit featuring this one, so this should be a no brainer to make into an action figure.

I also like the concept art and plot/story to it too. Definitely got me hooked, you know aside from the awesome dinosaur action figures we've been spoiled with for years now. Can't wait to learn more about this project.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: