News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Trilobite Aquarium

Started by Ammonites, November 11, 2012, 03:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ammonites

This is something I've been starting to do for promotion on a couple of projects I've got in the works.  First of all, an original story called "Dinoworld" and secondly my plans for a future exhibition of a "Prehistoric Zoo and Aquarium."  To start out, I'm currently working on a Freshwater Trilobite Aquarium.  Hey, its my world, right?  Don't worry, Saltwater it planned next.

Anyway, I've got the gravel and two types of Trilobites.  The Bullyland Trilobite and two of the Kaiyodo Dinotales' Psychopage Trilobites.  Still need some more plants, but I'm working on it slowly.  I'll probably add a couple more of the Trilobites, but leave the other styles for the Saltwater.  This will all be an illusion, I'll just be using tap water so it'll be easier for transport.

Just have it sitting on the floor right now, background to be added later.  Feedback would be most appreciated.  Also, if anyone knows where to find some of the other trilobites for the other one I'd really appreciate it.

stemturtle

Welcome to the Forum, Ammonites. The trilobites in your aquarium are Devonian.  Yowie made a Kettneraspis in Lost Kingdoms series A.  It might be tough to find one.

If you want to go with Ordovician, just this year, Safari made a huge fossil of Ramondites that is 4 inches long.  It is available on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRILOBITE-FOSSIL-662916-New-2012-Accurate-Model-Free-Ship-USA-w-25-SAFARI-/230772438193?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bb1bf4b1
A smaller version of the same trilobite on a substrate was part of the Safari Ancient Fossils Toob of 2009.

Kaiyodo made a Triarthrus in Dinotales Series 3, but that may be expensive.  Happy hunting.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

Ammonites

Yeah, I just found out about that Kettneraspis earlier today during an image search.  Knowing its name will help.  I was actually thinking of getting the Safari one.  The other one from Kaiyodo goes for about $30 on ebay, I'm hoping to get a few of those for a different tank.

SBell

Keep in mind that the Yowie figure is labelled as 'Devonian Trilobite', which is more often how it would be sold.

I would also be concerned about what damage the water will do to the paint on the figures, when you submerge them.  Bullyland figures are notorious for their paint coming off as it is, and it is not uncommon for many figures to have their paint at least fade when kept in water.

Is there anyway to simply create an illusion of submersion?  Lighting is often a good way to give that appearance, or even a clear surface with resin spread out in a ripple pattern--a well-placed light can give the appearance of being under water, and the figures would not be damaged.

Jetoar

Great idea to do an Aquarium  ^-^. I have a Jurassic Aquarium and I will share photographs of it.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Ammonites

Quote from: SBell on November 11, 2012, 06:24:15 PMIs there anyway to simply create an illusion of submersion?  Lighting is often a good way to give that appearance, or even a clear surface with resin spread out in a ripple pattern--a well-placed light can give the appearance of being under water, and the figures would not be damaged.

That's actually a pretty good idea.  I can research some lighting techniques and will have to find a way for the tall plants to stay up but that's a good point about the paint.

SBell

Quote from: Ammonites on November 11, 2012, 09:57:03 PM
Quote from: SBell on November 11, 2012, 06:24:15 PMIs there anyway to simply create an illusion of submersion?  Lighting is often a good way to give that appearance, or even a clear surface with resin spread out in a ripple pattern--a well-placed light can give the appearance of being under water, and the figures would not be damaged.

That's actually a pretty good idea.  I can research some lighting techniques and will have to find a way for the tall plants to stay up but that's a good point about the paint.

Thin wires are an industry standard--ideally, wire inside the stalks of the plants (you are dealing with some very small plants, so it shouldn't take a lot).  If you can find silk or plastic plants of the right variety, they will generally be stiffer anyway, as they are not meant to be buoyed by water (like an aquarium plant).

Ammonites

Does anyone know what the Bullyland Trilobite species is meant to be?  It just says "Trilobite" but I'm thinking its supposed to be Metacanthia.  Just want to be sure to get accurate display plates for everything.

DinoToyForum

Ooh, I think there was a thread about the ID of the Bullyland inverts on the archive, if anyone can recall where? Time to reboot the topic here, perhaps?

stemturtle

Quote from: dinotoyforum on November 14, 2012, 09:49:58 AM
Ooh, I think there was a thread about the ID of the Bullyland inverts on the archive, if anyone can recall where? Time to reboot the topic here, perhaps?

The identification was not definitive, but Hollardops was suggested for the Bullyland trilobite.
http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=toys&action=display&thread=124
Good idea to start an invertebrate thread as one of the Dinosaur Groups under Dinosaur Collectibles.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

radman

I got these guys from Malcolm/dinonikes. 

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt152/christiankn/008-14.jpg

Don't know if he has any  more, but can't hurt to ask.

stoneage

Quote from: radman on November 14, 2012, 04:39:23 PM
I got these guys from Malcolm/dinonikes. 

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt152/christiankn/008-14.jpg

Don't know if he has any  more, but can't hurt to ask.

Malcolm made 5 trilobites for a Silurian Diorama he did.  He may still have some plus he might have some other animals from that period.  It wouldn't hurt to ask.

Ammonites

Ordered a couple more Trilobites to go into the tank, I'll get updated pics once those arrive.  After looking around I think I've found the perfect thing for a water effect simulation.  A little pricey but I'm thinking it'll be the best option.  American DJ H20 LED lighting effect.  Video below.  From what I've seen its got a manual focus so I should be able to do a small surface area, maybe use i for when I get the 2nd tank going and have them side by side.

I can hide it on a wooden cutout like they've got at zoos or aquariums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RefofpVIsDc

alexeratops

Night light of the future!!!!! ;D
like a bantha!

Ammonites

Added another plant and the background.  Disassembled everything and glued the plants down (as well as the background).  Looks pretty good I think.  Just need to get that light now and have plans on adding the Yowie Trilobite once I get that in the mail.  Planning on getting the "saltwater" one done up.  After that I'll be doing a front display like its an exhibit, need to work on plans for that.

Any suggestions for darkening the driftwood?  I know it goes darker in color when its wet.  Might just add that little extra bit of realism.  The tall plant in the back was a bit heavy so I glued a couple of the branches to the back wall so it'll stay up.

Jetoar

well done again friend, Your aquarium is very cool and you have different species of trilobites. I think that if trilobites are living currently, people will bought as pets ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

amargasaurus cazaui

Spray the things you want to look wet, with clear coat gloss. It dries looking wet , and is often used on dinosaur models, around and inside the mouth, and eyes for instance to achieve a more natural look
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 26, 2012, 08:38:00 AM
Spray the things you want to look wet, with clear coat gloss. It dries looking wet , and is often used on dinosaur models, around and inside the mouth, and eyes for instance to achieve a more natural look

Things don't look 'wet' when they are underwater. It is a common/easy mistake to make though.

Ammonites

Thanks for the advice.  I'll probably just go with the lighting illusion.

Had a couple other ancient life things lying around and decided to throw them in.  I think it makes it look more like a community tank.  Probably not accurate according to the geologic timescale, but I'm hoping the "awesome" factor cancels that out  ^-^

Total life:
Prehistoric Panorama Hallucigenia (blue creature in upper left)
Prehistoric Panorama Pikaia (center top)
2X  Kaiyodo Psychopyge Trilobite
Bullyland Trilobite
Jurassic Era Fossil Kit Trilobite (bottom left)

I've got another one planned but won't be able to have anywhere to store it right now.  I'll have to just save up and get the H2O LED light and a case to go over the front.

SBell

You need a big 'centre piece' in the middle--an Anomalocaris would be obvious if you could find a bigger one. The ROM Laggania would be even better, and possibly more accessible. Or an orthocone, if you could find one of the right size.

Alternatively, a shoal of chordates (Pikaia or Haikouella) would be kind of neat too.

I was going to jump at you for mixing geologic ages, but we'll just pretend that you were some sort of time-travelling aquarium explorer or something. And you did already mention it.

That said--the reef doesn't feel right for the age(s). The wood is the biggest stand out (no trees for quite a while to come!). And it should be less plants and more reef-building fauna--rugose and tabulate corals; crinoids and their kin; brachiopods; bryozoans; archaeocyathans & sponges (depending on the 'age' you want to be closest to). As it stands, it looks a little too much like a freshwater tank with saltwater animals.

But it's still a pretty cool effort.  It's not like Archaeocyathid and Crinoid figures are easy to come by. Not impossible, but close to.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: