News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2022

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2021, 07:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonRider02

Honestly, That Geosternbergia looks almost like a retool of this year's Preranodon. As if they reused the Pteranodon's digital sculpt and changed the head and pose a little, to save costs and time (which would make sense in current situation). Also, the paint feels sloppy in many places. I hope it will look better in hand.  :-\ eh, not as excited about this one as I was about their last three big pterosaurs. I was hoping for big Azhdarchid or something long-tailed. Having two so similar looking Pteranodons realesed one after another just feels a bit underwhelming. However, I do like how much the colors resemble a Black-Headed Gull.

The Spino looks quite impressive though. I am glad they gave it new colors insted of reusing the old ones, as CollectA likes to do. 
The only thing about it that looks weird to me are the hands. Are they pronated or is this just a weird angle? I really can't tell.

EDIT: I just found out that the Geosternbergia is just around 13cm tall, so almost half the size of this year's Pteranodon. It actually makes me happy, becouse not only it means it will be cheaper and take less shelf space, it won't feel as much like I am buying the same, expensive figure with slightly diffrent details and colors second time. I am more willing to forgive sloppier paint on smaller figure as well. I am definitely more excited about this figure now  :))

Bread

Quote from: DragonRider02 on November 05, 2021, 03:24:42 AM
The only thing about it that looks weird to me are the hands. Are they pronated or is this just a weird angle? I really can't tell.
Well I can't unsee that now.

Yeah taking a look back at that Spinosaurus, the front wrists look broken almost? I don't think it's the angle of the photo, but just the way its sculpted to resemble it swimming through water and the limbs being pushed back. I am not too fussed by it at all, still going to be an automatic purchase, but definitely a small nitpick.

suspsy

I'm loving all three of these toys. The Spinosaurus was an easy prediction and the swimming pose is an easy way to avoid the controversy over the animal's posture. And really, if it had been put in a walking stance, it'd either be mounted on a base or using one of its hands for support. Interesting too how the tail has spines instead of a big fin. And I think the hands are correct; it looks like the arms are spread out diagonal angles from the body.

As someone already noted, the Pteranodon sternbergi is a nice alternative to last year's giant. This one will look great next to the Safari version. Love the colours.

The Paraceratherium isn't huge, but I'm quite fine with that. The red fur strikes me as unlikely, but I suspect this was done so that the toy wouldn't be all flat boring grey.

A great start indeed. Looking forward to next week!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

The Paraceratherium seems closer to 1/35 than the huge IToy's 1/20. This is fine by me as it will scale well with the Eofauna cenozoic line and other 1/35 to 1/40 figures.

Faelrin

As others have said, I'm not a big fan of the trunk (although the Everything Dinosaur blog post would suggest there's recent research supporting it?) and patchy fur on the Paraceratherium, but until Eofauna and/or Safari might do one this is the next best option to the much more expensive I-Toy one and it was something I did say I wanted them to do. No idea what the scale is but size wise this is perhaps more manageable for me then the huge I-Toy one too (as much as that one appeals to my nostalgia for WWB). I look forward to the in hand images.

I'm also not a fan of the excessive spikes on the Spinosaurus. Really no need for any of that with the evidence we have now (same issue with what they did with their Carnotaurus). That said it is nice to see them do a new take on it, and I do like the pose and coloration. Based on the dimensions I'm guessing it's closer to 1:35 (adult) then 1:40?

Don't have much to say about it, but nice to see another Geosternbergia, which should go nicely with last year's Pteranodon.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shonisaurus

Very good news from Collecta, the first batch of news and they are betting big!

Honestly, this paraceratherium is much better than its predecessor although it is obviously not superior to its IToy counterpart. My prayers have been answered! Thanks Collecta! But nevertheless I do not like the artistic interpretation of this prehistoric mammal at all. That trunk fits him well but it would have been better without it, it reminds me of the paleorchestes, or a tapir being a prehistoric mammal of the rhinoceros family, I don't think it had a trunk although scientifically ... it is something unpredictable.

The geosternbergia pteranodon is very well sculpted and painted and I sincerely appreciate that it does not have the t-shirt fin of its 2021 predecessor, although the latter will be difficult for any company to surpass it in quality and beauty as it happens with the IToy paraceratheruim. Going to the heart of the matter honestly it is a pteranodon beauty and I regret that it is not Supreme Deluxe like its predecessor, if it had a similar size, it would honestly even be superior to the pteranodon of 2021. It is extremely beautiful and very scientific and it is a more affordable version for the that we are dinosaur lovers.

Regarding the spinosaurus from Collecta version of 2022 it is for me the best spinosaurus made by any toy dinosaur company from a scientific point of view. It is the star or featured product of this year's Collecta 2022. It far exceeds my expectations and to be honest it is superior to its predecessor, by the way a spinosaurus whose figure was awarded by the prestigious Prehistoric Times magazine, in its Deluxe figure and its standard figures.

I honestly have no words at first sight regarding the first reveals of Collecta 2022. Collecta used to always leave the best figures at the end of all revelations, but I think this year the best figures have revealed instead of postponing them. I can't help but imagine ... that the same if also in the latest Collecta revelation (4th week) there are the star figures of Collecta, I don't know what beauties they have reserved for collectors. This company is exciting.

PhilSauria

Just when I was swearing off figures for the foreseeable these come along.

Even though I have the IToys Paraceratherium I will be ordering all of these including it.

Already have ideas for a base with support stand for the Spinosaurus...

Carnoking

The Spinosaurus may be my first collecta purchase in a while, even if I wish it was just a little bigger

Dinoxels

Just gonna copy and paste my Instagram thoughts.

Starting off with my favorite the Geosternbergia (Pteranodon) sternbergi, this is NOT part of the supreme pterosaur series and rather just a simple "CollectA Deluxe". For the size I think the paint and detail is pretty good, nothing really wrong with it. A must to replace my Safari Ltd. Pteranodon, this is a quality figure.

Next we see the most bizarre figure on this list of reveals, the Paraceratherium. I think the concept of the figure is good but the execution....it's mainly the brown splashes of fur instead of feeling subtle like intended it comes across as blotchy and bizarre. This sort of throws off the entire look of the model for me. An easy pass for the Itoy version.

Finally, the Spinosaurus. Despite being a massive step up from CollectA's previous attempts at making a Spinosaurus, it still falls short. The skull is seemingly the robust morph slapped onto the 2020 reconstruction, which for Spinosaurus you can't really do with all the variation in specimens known. The detail is also very odd looking, and I don't think that dry brush helps. Finally the legs have a bit of Safari Ltd. 2019 Spinosaurus syndrome, but not nearly as bad. In fact this figure VERY much feels like "haha, we can do better then you Safari"! Easy pass for me as I already own the awesome 2020 Spinosaurus from PNSO.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

bmathison1972

lookin forward to the Paraceratherium

PrimevalRaptor

That's a very interesting start for sure.
The Paraceratherium is an interesting new take on the genus (and quite overdue, the I-Toy one is amazing but not in everyone's budget range), personally I like the blotches of fur, really adds some character to it.
Geosternbergia is nice, feels very seabird-y, big fan of the crest and beak pattern, seam on the throat pouch is a bit unfortunate though.
Big fan of the texture itself on the Spinosaurus, though I'm not too big on the spikes, I mean they do look cool but the croc-like look is way overdone (though it's a unique take for sure at least). Swimming pose is a good idea to avoid the whole "we're still not sure how it moved on land" thing, though the front limbs do look a bit weird, almost pronated. Gotta wait for more images there I suppose.

MLMjp

It had to be a Spino in a swimming pose ::)... I get why is in a swimming pose...but...I guess I still prefer a standing one. It looks great, it really does, so I might still get it.

Pretty cool Geostenbergia, but too big for the collection as always.

I dont collect mammals, but I can appreciate when they look good. Unfortunately I dont like that red fur on the Paraceratherium.

Lynx

Holy cra-
CollectA way exceeded my expectations for this roster! That spinosaurus blew my mind when I saw it... finally a spinosaurus figure I don't have to worry as much about ware and tear! I can't wait for it to release, you bet I'll be buying that the second it releases!
An oversized house cat.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

That poor Paraceratherium... someone needs to take it to a vet to treat that nasty case of mange!

In all seriousness, this is closer to my ideal Paraceratherium than the ITOY one so I'll likely be picking it up (unless Safari decides to make one this year too... fingers crossed) even if it does have some odd design choices. Perhaps the final product will have a more muted hair color, and if not its an easy fix with a quick repaint. Overall I'm pleased to see one of my many wishes for fossil mammal taxa in plastic fulfilled.
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

stargatedalek

I get it, there are a lot of Spino options out there right now, but not all of the various potentialities for standing postures have even been done yet. We've gotten painful knuckle walking, skeptically balanced traditional biped, and broken wrist seal walking. No belly sliding like a loon, and no leaning on the forearms, which I should point out are the two longest lasting theories proposed from the 2014 Nat Geo leak that haven't had any serious blows to their plausibility.

I guess it just feels like a waste to me not to even make another attempt at an experimental standing one when there are still methods yet unexplored. Another pair of Spinosaurus walking and swimming could have been fun. Perhaps they will release another one next year (or a corpse maybe?).

The Pteranodon is nice, though I wish it was the same size as last years. I'd have loved to do some crest/head swaps and get some of each in different poses. Although, perhaps it could be modified into a female...

Dusty Wren

CollectA came out the gate with some strong contenders! Good to see a Paraceratherium with a trunk, and I like that he's shaggy. The fuzz sets him apart from the majority of other Paraceratherium reconstructions.

I really like the look of that Spino, too. I've been hoping for a bipedal Spino, but this pose gives the impression of a sleek, strong water predator, and it's surprisingly appealing.
Check out my customs thread!

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Dinoxels on November 05, 2021, 09:45:08 AM
In fact this figure VERY much feels like "haha, we can do better then you Safari"!
They did do better than safari though
They blew safari out of the water lmao
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on November 05, 2021, 11:49:55 AM
That's a very interesting start for sure.
The Paraceratherium is an interesting new take on the genus (and quite overdue, the I-Toy one is amazing but not in everyone's budget range), personally I like the blotches of fur, really adds some character to it.
Geosternbergia is nice, feels very seabird-y, big fan of the crest and beak pattern, seam on the throat pouch is a bit unfortunate though.
Big fan of the texture itself on the Spinosaurus, though I'm not too big on the spikes, I mean they do look cool but the croc-like look is way overdone (though it's a unique take for sure at least). Swimming pose is a good idea to avoid the whole "we're still not sure how it moved on land" thing, though the front limbs do look a bit weird, almost pronated. Gotta wait for more images there I suppose.
I don't see how this spino is croclike? I'd say the 2014 one is much more so
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

suspsy

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 05, 2021, 04:03:25 PM
Quote from: Dinoxels on November 05, 2021, 09:45:08 AM
In fact this figure VERY much feels like "haha, we can do better then you Safari"!
They did do better than safari though
They blew safari out of the water lmao

Speaking as one who owns the 2021 Safari Spinosaurus, I fully agree with both of the above statements.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Bread

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 05, 2021, 04:04:29 PM
Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on November 05, 2021, 11:49:55 AM
Big fan of the texture itself on the Spinosaurus, though I'm not too big on the spikes, I mean they do look cool but the croc-like look is way overdone (though it's a unique take for sure at least).
I don't see how this spino is croclike? I'd say the 2014 one is much more so
I have to agree with avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954
I don't see this resembling a crocodile, plus this seems to be more original like PNSO's and GR Toy's.

I am glad more companies are getting away from the Spinosaurus with a crocodile look.

Now I am just curious to what other figures CollectA are producing. Are more reveals going to appear every week, Thursday 10PM EST?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: