News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo new for 2022

Started by Takama, November 10, 2021, 04:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on November 17, 2021, 01:37:37 AM
Interesting that they've repainted the styracosaurus to look more like the Sideshow model it's based on.
With the Stegosaurus and Parasaurolophus repaints, for example, Papo went from subdued to more flamboyant. Now, with the Styracosaurus, the reverse has happened.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Duna on November 10, 2021, 10:00:57 PM
Collecta Protoceratops is too large to fit in most collections, mine for example. I didn't even think of it because of the size. I would really love a small protoceratops.

Check out Wild Past, avatar_Duna @Duna !
http://www.wildpast-studio.de/en/home-en/

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I'm mildly amused at all the hopeful comments on the first page about the then-yet-to-be-revealed Protoceratops... though you all have my sympathy and condolences.

Shonisaurus

The kronosaurus remains to be revealed. What will it be like? I am hopeful that he is the best figure in Papo 2022 by far.

paleochris

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 16, 2021, 07:11:08 PM
I hate the Papo doomers.

PNSO didn't steal their market. PNSO models are sold at a way higher price range, on Amazon & similar online stores. Papo is the only company of its kind that sells highly detailed dinosaurs in physical stores.

Neither did Nanmu. Same problems. Higher prices, exclusively online.

Papo doesn't even rely on their dinosaurs to stay afloat as a company. They made many more extant animals last year and this year, meaning they are much more profitable.

They've been going since 2005, in terms of the Prehistoric Line. That's Sixteen years. They know what they're doing.

I'm not saying that papo will die! They continue to make beautiful modern animals, it's true. But I show this again :

When we could make this little masterpiece in 2019, which is largely at the same level as the best PNSOs in terms of detail, sculpture and better paint work, I do not see what justifies such a decrease in quality for 2022... Between 2010 and 2019 papo was at the top of the major toy brands for dinosaurs, there was a real papo touch that we do not find at all on these new products I am sorry.

We have the right to expect more from this brand.

Finally, the price difference between a PNSO from the Prehistoric animal models range sold on amazon at 38$ and a big papo sold in a store here in France at 25-30 € is not so huge as that. And it shows that you can make great and precise miniatures with a correct painting for only 20-30 euros! It was enough to look at the protoceratops collecta to easily make still a little better! It really looks like a schleich mold it's incredible.

CarnotaurusKing

Don't care for repaints.
Mosasaurus looks quite nice.
OMG WHAT IS THAT?!?!? MY EEEYYYEEESSS *face melts* Okay, not that bad, if it was Schleich. But we expect more from Papo, because they've given us more in the past. Shame.
Still waiting for the Kronosaurus.

Saurox

I think we need more photos of protoceratops (preferably with mouth closed).

I like Mosasaurus and the styracosaurus repaint.

Concavenator

Papo Protoceratops: Am I a joke to you?
Me: Y   E    S

I even prefer the original Styracosaurus colour scheme.

Standing out in this lineup is very easy, and I also agree with the highlight being the Mosasaurus, though CollectA's and PNSO's version outshine it accuracy wise.

SenSx

The Mosasaurus looks great, do you know what scale it could have ?

Shonisaurus

Honestly, I always criticize Papo's dinosaurs but I always buy them, then the real figures normally except the marine ones (tylosaurus and plesiosaurus) are usually much better than mere photographs. The giganotosaurus so criticized by me has turned out to be a super detailed figure, so I understand that the protoceratops will be much better figure than expected. On the other hand, the mosasaurus, although I don't know what scale it looks like, looks good and will match well with other figures from other collections, such as its Schleich counterpart.

But without a doubt I like other Papo figures more like the pentaceratops, of course, the spinosaurus limited version, the tyrannosaurus running in its different versions of paint or the ceratosaurus to give several examples, even his triceratops is very beautiful, but without Undoubtedly Papo 2022 protoceratops is the weakest version of ceraptosides made to date by the Papo brand, at first glance, then time will tell.

DinoToyForum

Interesting that they chose to give the Mosasaurus a speculative dorsal fin. There's still no evidence for that as far as I'm aware. There was a short discussion about this on the forum a few years ago: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2287.0

Carnoking

Everything Dinosaur seems to have tentatively confirmed that this is it for the 2022 lineup. Someone asked about the Kronosaurus on their Instagram post to which ED said there was nothing in Papo's quarterly production plans concerning a Kronosaurus.

suspsy

Quote from: Carnoking on November 18, 2021, 03:34:14 PM
Everything Dinosaur seems to have tentatively confirmed that this is it for the 2022 lineup. Someone asked about the Kronosaurus on their Instagram post to which ED said there was nothing in Papo's quarterly production plans concerning a Kronosaurus.

Interesting. Perhaps it'll be released late in 2022 the same way Schleich often releases some of its products? Their Eldrador Ice Giant and Lava Demon only came out last month; they were not featured in the annual product booklet.

Or perhaps the Kronosaurus was nothing more than a rumour.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Lynx

Quote from: suspsy on November 18, 2021, 03:41:23 PM

Interesting. Perhaps it'll be released late in 2022 the same way Schleich often releases some of its products? Their Eldrador Ice Giant and Lava Demon only came out last month; they were not featured in the annual product booklet.

Or perhaps the Kronosaurus was nothing more than a rumour.

Unfortunately, that's likely the case.
An oversized house cat.

Bread

Not surprised. Honestly I am happy Papo are mainly focusing on their extant animals. They seem to be beautiful and it shows that those sell probably better than their prehistoric animals now.

Carnoking

Was ED privy to the not-so-limited-edition Spinosaurus before it's unveiling? I can't recall, but if they actually weren't made aware of it before hand then perhaps that's indicative that the Kronosaurus might be a new limited edition release. Might just be wishful thinking but I was really hoping for just one figure to blow me away for this lineup and the Kronosaurus was the last chance.
If it truly doesn't exist though, I won't lose sleep. I did just pull the trigger on the PNSO offering after all.

DragonRider02

I'll be surprised if Papo decides to make another 'Limited Edition' figure (especially during these times), seeing how Spinosaurus is 'shelfwarming' in many online stores over here :P  I even got a small broshure advertising some Papo products from one of these stores included with one order, and it didn't even state that Spino is limited or anything. It's treated like regular product.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Carnoking on November 18, 2021, 04:10:21 PM
Was ED privy to the not-so-limited-edition Spinosaurus before it's unveiling? I can't recall, but if they actually weren't made aware of it before hand then perhaps that's indicative that the Kronosaurus might be a new limited edition release. Might just be wishful thinking but I was really hoping for just one figure to blow me away for this lineup and the Kronosaurus was the last chance.
If it truly doesn't exist though, I won't lose sleep. I did just pull the trigger on the PNSO offering after all.
I thought Krono was a limited too but maybe its cancelled for a next year release
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Shonisaurus

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 18, 2021, 06:33:59 PM
Quote from: Carnoking on November 18, 2021, 04:10:21 PM
I thought Krono was a limited too but maybe its cancelled for a next year release

At least we have the mosasaurus as the star product of Papo 2022, it is not bad news anyway, at least this lineup of novelties is much better than this year, which only marketed two prehistoric mammals, the hackneyed megalodon and the young of smilodon that is still a minor product since it is only a baby and not an adult male or female of a dinosaur, mammal or other prehistoric animal.

I suppose that they will have to amortize the expenses that the marketing of Papo's very expensive limited edition spinosaurus has caused them, by the way, one of their best prehistoric animals made to date but that perhaps has not been a sales success for the common public like them. They waited, which I regret, but people have many bills to attend to before making expenses that can negatively affect them financially, especially when they have a family.

CityRaptor

Hmm, let's see.
Styracosaurus - as expected a repaint.  I already have the original version of the figure and since I don't collect different color versions unless they are Dino Tales ( which also makes getting a complete JW Raptor Squad complicated ) and prefer the one I have, I skip that one.

Protoceratops - Okay, unless that one looks significantly better with its mouth closed, it is an easy skip.
Quote from: Fembrogon on November 16, 2021, 07:47:56 PM
The Protoceratops, on the other hand, looks like a Pez dispenser.
I fully agree with that.

Mosasaurus - clearly the star of the set. While not scientifically accurate, it has that "looks like a living creature" look many of the well crafted Papos have.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: