News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Questions for the experts…

Started by CARN0TAURUS, November 12, 2021, 12:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CARN0TAURUS

I'm really getting into repainting figures that I can find cheap at garage sales or on amazon or wherever.  I've done 5 so far with mixed results as I'm still learning how to mix and match colors that look good together.  So I've been using some old acrylic canvas paints I had from a ways back and I mix them using a small amount of water.  They work great on some figures but on other figures the don't want to stick on them.  I'm thinking about using a rattle can primer but I'm afraid of chemical reactions and ending up with a lump of toxic waste.  Have you guys used rattle can primer on PVC figures and will that help my acrylic paint stick on to my figures?

Also I found this figure on amazon a couple days ago, I think it might be a knock off but I can't seem to find any information on it.   I've done a ton of searches for giganotosaurus figures and non of them look like this.  I'm starting to think it might not even be a knock off, like maybe it was a prototype that never went into production for whomever designed it.  I haven't purchased it yet but I like the way it looks and I'm considering getting it so I can repaint it.  Is it a knockoff?  If anyone has it I'd love to know more about it, TIA.

Here's the link:
EDIT:  deleted 11/12 because it was pirated model untested and perhaps unsafe and I have an 8 year old that sometimes plays with some of my figures so not taking the chance :(

Dusty Wren

I use Rust-Oleum's white primer when I do repaints. So far, it's worked perfectly on Safari, Papo, and CollectA's figures, plus a resin figure. Can't promise it will give good results on other types of plastic, though, since I haven't tested it myself.

That Giganotosaurus is interesting. Doesn't look familiar to me, and usually knock-offs are pretty recognizable.
Check out my customs thread!

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Dusty Wren on November 12, 2021, 01:22:43 PM
I use Rust-Oleum's white primer when I do repaints. So far, it's worked perfectly on Safari, Papo, and CollectA's figures, plus a resin figure. Can't promise it will give good results on other types of plastic, though, since I haven't tested it myself.

That Giganotosaurus is interesting. Doesn't look familiar to me, and usually knock-offs are pretty recognizable.

Thank you for the painting tip!  I have rattle can primer here from putting in a metal gate last summer.

In regards to the figure, I think I read somewhere on this site that Lana toys is affiliated with rebor or something like that, IDK.  I checked all the stores I could find giganotosaurus figures and this one didn't look like any of them, I checked the toy info website and it wasn't there either.  I'm pretty sure I've never seen it.

It ships direct from china so I'm a bit apprehensive about ordering it.  The sculpt looks rough but I love the pose, these kinds of poses are what I wish more figures looked like, simple restorations without the fancy and sometimes awkward poses we often see.  As for the rough texture, have you ever worked on modifying PVC figures?  Will modeling putty work for toning down some of the overdone features?  It has too many wrinkles and skin folds IMO, but I've never tried to sand PVC or modify it by cutting or filling.  I'm not even sure putty would stick to it.  I'm wondering if it's even worth the effort but I'm not crazy about most of the giganotosaurus figures out there and this one caught my eye for the pose plus it says it's 18" long so it's good size too.

Dusty Wren

I don't think shipping directly from China is a red flag in and of itself. I'd say go ahead and order it, but only if you're willing to lose the $25 if it doesn't work out  ;D

I have modified some figures (the link to my customs thread is in my signature if you want to see examples). I use a craft knife to carve off pieces of plastic, and a two-part epoxy to sculpt new parts. Specifically, I use Aves Apoxie Sculpt, but there are other brands out there. It sticks to PVC and holds detail well. You can also sand it or carve it once it's dry.

I think you could fill in some of the wrinkles and divots in the Giga with epoxy. It's going to take some patience, since you'll have to match the textures used on the rest of the body to blend the mods in. But if you're willing to put the time in, it's definitely doable.   
Check out my customs thread!

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on November 12, 2021, 05:44:31 PM
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3228.msg276166#msg276166

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3228.msg276242#msg276242

So sorry guys!  Had I known I would've never posted the link, I'm deleting the link and I'm definitely not going to be buying this.  Thanks robingoodfellow for letting me know, much appreciated!

stargatedalek

Could I perhaps have the link? I have no interest in fragile resin kits and am always happy to consider getting big figures for customization.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 12, 2021, 09:01:54 PM
Could I perhaps have the link? I have no interest in fragile resin kits and am always happy to consider getting big figures for customization.

I don't have the link anymore, sorry I just deleted everything including the figure from my amazon wish list, I'd have to go back and do the search all over again on amazon.  The search was for toys and games PVC dinosaur figures and then I filtered everything from $15-$25, it came up on page 20 something under Lana toys and they call it a giga even tho it's something else.

stargatedalek

Aah ok, I will try to find it outside Amazon, but thank you.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.