News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Jurassic World (Various): New for 2022

Started by GojiraGuy1954, November 13, 2021, 10:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

I'm keen to see images of the Rajasaurus. Once it and the Skorpiovenator are released, Mattel will have tied CollectA and PNSO for having made the most abelisaurs (4).
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on January 20, 2022, 09:23:30 PM
I'm keen to see images of the Rajasaurus. Once it and the Skorpiovenator are released, Mattel will have tied CollectA and PNSO for having made the most abelisaurs (4).

I'll send you a link to where you can see it.

suspsy

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 20, 2022, 09:35:46 PM

Thank you, but it said I need to register in order to view it. Although I suspect it is the same image that was leaked a couple months back. We'll all see more images soon enough.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on January 20, 2022, 09:57:10 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 20, 2022, 09:35:46 PM

Thank you, but it said I need to register in order to view it. Although I suspect it is the same image that was leaked a couple months back. We'll all see more images soon enough.

Yeah it's from the Japanese leak so probably. If not I can send you the pic though.

Quote from: Flaffy on January 21, 2022, 12:11:31 AM
The Miragaia just got worse

I'm not sure how it's worse than what I first saw. It's just so wrong. As I said I don't plan to buy any of this new Wave that we saw. Blue is subpar, the rest just have terrible color combinations..sculpt aside.

MLMjp

Quote from: Flaffy on January 21, 2022, 12:11:31 AM
The Miragaia just got worse

Actually, I think the colors look better in this picture.

Mouth was closed in the other picture, so it must be articulated. Leave it closed and there you go.

Faelrin

Weird mouth articulation aside, I don't think the sculpt is too bad. Just the lack of paint apps is what is really hurting it here, especially the unpainted spikes (which the Kentrosaurus also suffered from). Even if this is one of those $7 range figures, they've had some real decent ones like the Dracorex, or the Troodon come out. 2020's line definitely had cut paint apps across the board, so I'm not surprised to see it continue into this year's products, but it is disappointing regardless.

avatar_Lynx @Lynx To answer your question, this will be kind of long. Right off the bat the Amber Collection had a rocky start from being a Gamestop exclusive when it launched in 2019 with only Dr. Ian Malcolm, and the JP Velociraptor. Releases were stretched thin, and widely across, for much of 2020, with 2 humans (Owen, Nedry), 4 raptors (raptor squad), and 1 new species (Dilophosaurus, that regularly goes for over $100 now, probably due to its short supply and high demand). Distribution at least did pick up as online retailers carried it (such as Amazon, Big Bad Toy Store, Entertainment Earth, etc), but it didn't get shelf presence into late 2020 at Target, and poorly debuted with Delta and Echo, which ended up shelf warming and getting clearanced off.  2021 had 4 new species (Pteranodon, Dimorphodon 2 pack, baby T. rex + Compsognathus pack), and more humans from the JP cast (it took us until late 2021 just to get Dr. Alan Grant, one of the most prominent JP characters), and 3 raptors, only one of which had a new head sculpt. The lack of species diversity definitely hurt it as well as the fact it constantly went on clearance between late 2020-2021 (at Target anyways, when figures shelf warmed). The writing was on the wall at that point, as that was exactly what happened with the 2018 human selection, and why they pack them with dinosaurs only now, because the dinosaurs are the bread and butter and what sell the most.

Another thing that majorly hurt the line was the lack of quality control across the board. Right off the bat many of the raptors suffered from misaligned jaws, something I don't think was ever corrected (maybe with the JPIII raptor, but I don't have it), never mind other issues such as the huge feet, stuck joints, paint mishaps, etc. The Compsognathus with the huge bottom jaws, despite there being well done jaw articulation in the mini line is just poor design, which also ties into the next issue, or the baby T. rex with the huge arms. There was also the issue with accuracy with a number of figures, particularly all the raptors with the exception of the JPIII male sharing the same head sculpt, and other issues such as coloration or poorly applied paint apps like what happened to John Hammond looking like he was covered in mud.
Also can't forget about how the namesake amber colored bases were dropped in 2021, and traded off for clear ones. Probably from being cheaper to make + all the people comparing it to pee puddles in social media comments probably didn't help. Sense of scale was also thrown out in 2021 with the Pteranodon, and give or take the baby T. rex and Compsognathus.

I would also highly recommend checking out Victoria's Cantina video on the issues from 7 months ago, titled "Everything Wrong with the Amber Collection". She probably covered other important details I may have forgotten to add.
Edit: MarcoMakes has a good review of the raptor squad that shows off some of the quality control issues, etc.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on January 21, 2022, 02:22:02 AM
Weird mouth articulation aside, I don't think the sculpt is too bad. Just the lack of paint apps is what is really hurting it here, especially the unpainted spikes (which the Kentrosaurus also suffered from). Even if this is one of those $7 range figures, they've had some real decent ones like the Dracorex, or the Troodon come out. 2020's line definitely had cut paint apps across the board, so I'm not surprised to see it continue into this year's products, but it is disappointing regardless.

I think it should have been a larger figure. The torso is way too short probably to fit the neck and tail in there. The spine is white at least with the Kentrosaurus it was brown colored so it matched.

They either need a better reference for these or a sculptor. Not sure which.  I'll bet the Dominion figures, the ones based on actual film creatures will be better.

Reuben03

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 21, 2022, 03:00:17 AM
They either need a better reference for these or a sculptor. Not sure which.  I'll bet the Dominion figures, the ones based on actual film creatures will be better.

u seen the pyroraptor? :( awful.

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Carnoking

avatar_Lynx @Lynx To answer your question, this will be kind of long. Right off the bat the Amber Collection had a rocky start from being a Gamestop exclusive when it launched in 2019 with only Dr. Ian Malcolm, and the JP Velociraptor. Releases were stretched thin, and widely across, for much of 2020, with 2 humans (Owen, Nedry), 4 raptors (raptor squad), and 1 new species (Dilophosaurus, that regularly goes for over $100 now, probably due to its short supply and high demand). Distribution at least did pick up as online retailers carried it (such as Amazon, Big Bad Toy Store, Entertainment Earth, etc), but it didn't get shelf presence into late 2020 at Target, and poorly debuted with Delta and Echo, which ended up shelf warming and getting clearanced off.  2021 had 4 new species (Pteranodon, Dimorphodon 2 pack, baby T. rex + Compsognathus pack), and more humans from the JP cast (it took us until late 2021 just to get Dr. Alan Grant, one of the most prominent JP characters), and 3 raptors, only one of which had a new head sculpt. The lack of species diversity definitely hurt it as well as the fact it constantly went on clearance between late 2020-2021 (at Target anyways, when figures shelf warmed). The writing was on the wall at that point, as that was exactly what happened with the 2018 human selection, and why they pack them with dinosaurs only now, because the dinosaurs are the bread and butter and what sell the most.

Another thing that majorly hurt the line was the lack of quality control across the board. Right off the bat many of the raptors suffered from misaligned jaws, something I don't think was ever corrected (maybe with the JPIII raptor, but I don't have it), never mind other issues such as the huge feet, stuck joints, paint mishaps, etc. The Compsognathus with the huge bottom jaws, despite there being well done jaw articulation in the mini line is just poor design, which also ties into the next issue, or the baby T. rex with the huge arms. There was also the issue with accuracy with a number of figures, particularly all the raptors with the exception of the JPIII male sharing the same head sculpt, and other issues such as coloration or poorly applied paint apps like what happened to John Hammond looking like he was covered in mud.
Also can't forget about how the namesake amber colored bases were dropped in 2021, and traded off for clear ones. Probably from being cheaper to make + all the people comparing it to pee puddles in social media comments probably didn't help. Sense of scale was also thrown out in 2021 with the Pteranodon, and give or take the baby T. rex and Compsognathus.

I would also highly recommend checking out Victoria's Cantina video on the issues from 7 months ago, titled "Everything Wrong with the Amber Collection". She probably covered other important details I may have forgotten to add.
Edit: MarcoMakes has a good review of the raptor squad that shows off some of the quality control issues, etc.

Thanks for compiling this Faelrin. I was trying to remember the timeline of the Amber Collection releases so this is exactly what I needed. I think the writing was on the wall from the get-go. First of all, a Game Stop exclusive was such a weird choice to kick off the line with. For one thing, I can't tell you the last time I set foot in a Game Stop, and even when the figures were only available in one place they were still getting clearanced out before long. I felt a glimmer of hope when the AC Dilo and Nedry dropped, but even then it felt like the line was floundering seeing as those were almost entirely online only releases (I know Nedry showed up on shelves in some places, but I don't recall the highly anticipated Diol getting such treatment). When Target swooped in to carry the line, it felt like maybe it would gain better traction than it had gotten through Game Stop and EE/Amazon, but like you said, the releases were too limited and repetitive to keep it afloat it would seem.

Lynx

Thank you for the response. I guess my little dino toy collecting friend was quite lucky to not get a bad Amber Collection raptor, and I sure am glad I didn't get one myself. On SpinoDudes Instagram they showed their JPIII Raptors face completely deranged.
An oversized house cat.

Faelrin

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking  Yeah you are probably right about that. I remember Matt Brando having concerns with the line right from the get go, prior to them becoming available. While I don't think they detracted from the quality of the mainline, they definitely suffered and were neglected right from the start. Having the Hammond Collection a Target exclusive is a step up in availability from Gamestop, but it is repeating the same mistakes as before, which is cutting supply off from international collectors (unless retailers like Smyths Toys gets it), possibly having two concurrent lines (at least these are in scale), and a strange launch selection of Baryonyx and Parasaurolophus, and not like more iconic JP characters or the ever popular T. rex. The next reveal is also in May. 4 months later with 4 figures, and then the next after is August with 2. 2 of these later reveals is at least the raptor and Malcolm. Granted these two (Baryonyx and Parasaurolophus) might not be available until April but still feels like they were pre-emptively put up for pre-order. Already feels like a chain of events being repeated here.

avatar_Lynx @Lynx Yeah a few of mine have suffered some issues. My TLW raptor (so glad I didn't pay full price) has glue in the one foot joint, my Pteranodon has a warped beak (ditto), and like all of my raptors also suffer from the misaligned jaws, where one side fully closes, the other does not. I do not think even the mainline has had this many issues, at least not within the vast collection I've assembled over the years, short of a few misprinted eyes, and like two other figures (Grab N Growl that does not have posable elbows, unless that is intentional, and the Indominus rex skeleton that needed the excess plastic cut away in the arm joints).

It's why I am concerned for this new Hammond Collection. Seeing the AC raptor shrunk down has me concerned it might suffer the same jaw issue. But all the same it does require new engineering and tooling, so hopefully it would be fixed and not carried over. Point about accuracy carries over from before however, as far as the Parasaurolophus (although wide head aside it is accurate to the JW one) and raptor goes.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Reuben03 on January 21, 2022, 11:24:02 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 21, 2022, 03:00:17 AM

u seen the pyroraptor? :( awful.

You mean the basic line one? Yeah I saw it. We've been told that design no longer represents the final film version.  It's a sad thing but toy companies have to start production pretty far in advance of a film's release.  They are given what the studio has at the time to work from. Which is why we ended up with the first Kenner line using the book references more than the film ( still very cool to me ).   The basic line isn't where your going to see a good piece anyway, they have some detail but are flat cheap plastic.

Bread

This new Hammond line won't be sold from any exclusive retailer right? Or do we not know anything for sure?

I am fine with anything but Gamestop. Always walk out with disappointment on my face when I go there after checking for star wars black series.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Bread on January 21, 2022, 11:57:06 PM
This new Hammond line won't be sold from any exclusive retailer right? Or do we not know anything for sure?

I am fine with anything but Gamestop. Always walk out with disappointment on my face when I go there after checking for star wars black series.
Target. Who also handled the Spino.

Oh no
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

terrorchicken

Interested in the Hammond line, especially the oarasaurolophus. The LW para is one of my favorite JP designs and I used to have the old figure. I got the first version of the Mattel one but I wouldn't mind replacing it with a more articulated version. I hope the head doesn't look as bad in person.

Bread

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 22, 2022, 12:01:25 AM

Oh no
I am actually happy with Target. Honestly my local target always had a good and solid stock for the Mattel JP/JW line. Although I don't recall the Spinosaurus stock.

I'd be happy to help anyone find any of these future figures if my Target supplies them.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Bread on January 22, 2022, 12:41:33 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 22, 2022, 12:01:25 AM

Oh no
I am actually happy with Target. Honestly my local target always had a good and solid stock for the Mattel JP/JW line. Although I don't recall the Spinosaurus stock.

I'd be happy to help anyone find any of these future figures if my Target supplies them.
The original Spino was a Target exclusive and we all know how distribution of that thing in the States went
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Carnoking

Target has been pretty good about their exclusives since though, especially since Beyond the Gates started. Almost everything they've advertised has hit shelves in abundance with the possible exception being the last few amber collection offerings. Even then, they were (and are) still available to order online unlike the fateful Spinosaurus.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on January 22, 2022, 03:05:12 PM
Target has been pretty good about their exclusives since though, especially since Beyond the Gates started. Almost everything they've advertised has hit shelves in abundance with the possible exception being the last few amber collection offerings. Even then, they were (and are) still available to order online unlike the fateful Spinosaurus.

Right. I think the only figure I didn't see from AC at Target was Ellie and the JP3 Raptor?  However they were also available to order elsewhere, BBTS, EE, and Amazon carried them.  So no not nearly as bad to try and find as the Spino was.  Oddly no one mentions the Battle Damage Spino from Walmart and how rare it is..

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: