News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jurassic World (Various): New for 2022

Started by GojiraGuy1954, November 13, 2021, 10:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

So video of the main line Giganotosaurus dropped. Not the biggest fan of the action feature, but of course I'm not the target audience for the play features these things have anyways, though I do wonder about the durability it'll have as a result. That does make me hope for a HC one down the line, but chances are I'll still pick this up to tide me over in the meantime.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ccjso9KlkWL/
Edit: Another full body image of this thing is out there apparently:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CcjxnQkLk5k/
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Camzilla94

Yeah I'm not big on any of the Giga sculpts so really hope we do get a HC Giga sometime after the current announced ones.

Mellow Stego

Went to my local Target today and they had a ton of new JW figures out.
Was only able to grab the Hammond collection Bary today but will head back this Friday to grab the Therizinosaurus.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Flaffy

Dang... Really hoped the mainline Giganotosaurus would have a more screen accurate sculpt... I guess that was too much to ask from Mattel. ::)
I still don't understand why they basically gave it a modified Indominus headsculpt. The interlocking teeth are not present on the movie design (as far as I'm aware based on the prologue). And while the JWD Giganotosaurus design has a more wide skull than the real deal, the sculpt is just on a whole different level of wonkiness.

Kids will love it for sure, though echoing other members, concerned about how durable it is considering how chopped up the toy is to accommodate the action features. I think I'll happily wait for a potential Hammond Collection version instead.

Flaffy

Sarah Harding! Baby Stegosaurus! and a JW droopy tail adult...
How I wish the set was just Sarah and the baby; with the addition of the JW design adult, it just serves to jack the price up.

MLMjp

I just scrolled pass these images on instagram thinking they were customs, but they are the real deal! :o

Also, that packaging!

Gwangi

Great figure and set, but just Sarah and the baby would have been preferable. All well. I won't be getting it anyway, I limit myself to only collecting human characters from the first movie.

Carnoking

I'm really not sold on the Giganotosaurus. The paint is very basic and that clacking action feature is really unappealing and cheap sounding. I'm personally not the biggest fan of the design to begin with, so Mattel would really have to make something incredible to entice me.

As far as the Sarah set goes, WOW! I love the baby stegosaurus! I'm a little miffed I'll have to get yet another of the big stegos but credit where credit is due, this looks like the best one yet!

Thialfi

The only thing I am waiting for is an Attack Pack (or whatever it's called these days) lystrosaurus. Is there any word on that?

Faelrin

I wasted no time pre-ordering that Stegosaurus set. Finally a figure of Sarah and the baby Stegosaurus. While it is unfortunate the adult is still the same droopy tailed JW sculpt (though at least it has a beak unlike the JW one), the coloration is very close to being film accurate. Honestly I'm actually glad we finally got an adult in TLW coloration, even though it makes for a higher cost (ditto for the packaging I would think), especially with the elaborate paint apps it sports. The packaging is nicely done too but I hope we'll still get an actual trailer set some day. And I guess I don't feel so bad missing/skipping the CC inspired one from last year though I wanted it, since this is pretty similar in coloration but TLW based instead. Also there goes my plan of checking Target today. This one was a doozy.

Flaffy

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin IMO the adult stegosaurus's colouration leaves a lot to be desired. Could've used more green and beiges rather than brown with a dash of green-alpaca spit over it's back.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I picked up the kitchen set yesterday at Target. They also had the Hammond Collection Baryonyx and Velociraptor and a few regular dominion figures.

The Harding and stegosaurus set looks great! I think the adult could have done with more green, but it's still the most film-accurate stegosaurus we've gotten so far from Mattel.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Gwangi

I managed to find the Kitchen Encounter set, Skorpiovenator, Dsungaripterus, and Quetzalcoatlus yesterday. All at Target, there's nothing at my Wal-Mart yet. I went ahead and ordered the Yangchuanosaurus and Hammond Collection Malcolm off of Target's website. That checks off most of what was on my list but I'm eager to track down the Hammon Collection Baryonyx and Parasaurolophus. Happy hunting, everyone!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Preorderd the Sarah/Stego set instantly. Even though it will likely end up in stores before shipping lol

Sarah and the baby look great, by themselves in a package with a mound of ferns would have made a great in package display. With the adult Stego added you get a trailer package that covers a lot. Kinda looks like the cage the stego in in from the film I guess?   Did we need another big Stego? No. Does it matter much not really.  Sarah has been a very elusive figure from the Kenner line so glad to have one finally I can get reasonably, the baby steg just makes it even better.   They want to take on another five bucks? Give me a hollow tree trunk accessory. 

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Yeah I think if they skipped the brown on the body (not the plates) it would have turned out much better/accurate with just the green and beige, since they otherwise have the general shape and placement of the markings down pretty good. I'm otherwise okay with it though, for what it is. Even the baby could have had more beige on the belly, instead of the brown, but again, close enough I guess. At least they did a good job with the sculpt for the most part (head is a little too big, and plates are shaped a little bit differently), and again I'm just ecstatic to have a pretty good take on it after waiting for a figure of it to come out for years now. Can't wait to have it alongside baby Bumpy, the baby Brachiosaurus, etc.

Some other (production and film) pics for comparison, for the curious:
Spoiler
Maquettes (being painted):

Animatronic (and maquette in the second pic):

Film Shots/ILM Models:

And bonus baby Stegosaurus maquette and animatronic:

Film shot:

[close]

And of course more pics courtesy of it going up on Target (much better looking in the Beyond the Gates video though, despite the darker lighting):

Giganotosaurus

Do we not know if Giganotosaurus weighed more/was larger than t rex? Since I read that only 2 specimens of Giganotosaurus have been found. Asking because I always thought Giganotosaurus was longer but not as massive as t rex, but the figures seem to show the opposite. Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Mosasurus on Jurassic Mainframe and JPToys
Angurius on TohoKingdom

I love all the Jurassic movies, plus Disney's Dinosaur

Carnoking

Quote from: Giganotosaurus on April 20, 2022, 05:43:48 PM
Do we not know if Giganotosaurus weighed more/was larger than t rex? Since I read that only 2 specimens of Giganotosaurus have been found. Asking because I always thought Giganotosaurus was longer but not as massive as t rex, but the figures seem to show the opposite. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Don't read too far into Jurassic World's take on the animal. As far as I recall, T. rex is thought to be the largest theropod by mass but not necessarily by length.

MLMjp

If the top part of the body was green instead of brown I would definelty look much better, although I kinda understand why is it that way, because the plates and back of the Stego are the same piece.

Tempted to paint the back piece green when I (eventually) get this set.

Also about the Giga...it looks slightly better than a leak I saw I while ago. But yeah, the action feature looks rather fragile. Still, I'm still getting it since Mattel doesn't have a track record of making new molds of the big bad theropods that are not T.rex (Spino and I.rex only got repaints and battle damage retools). And I can't bet on being able to get a possible Hammond Collection one.

Flaffy

Quote from: MLMjp on April 20, 2022, 06:01:37 PM
Still, I'm still getting it since since Mattel doesn't have a track record of making new molds of the big bad theropods that are not T.rex (Spino and I.rex only got repaints and battle damage retools).

All the more reason to support the Hammond Collection! (we've already got a HC Tyrannosaurus coming; so if it sells well, maybe Mattel will consider releasing more large species in the HC line too)

MLMjp

Quote from: Flaffy on April 20, 2022, 06:04:46 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on April 20, 2022, 06:01:37 PM
Still, I'm still getting it since since Mattel doesn't have a track record of making new molds of the big bad theropods that are not T.rex (Spino and I.rex only got repaints and battle damage retools).

All the more reason to support the Hammond Collection! (we've already got a HC Tyrannosaurus coming; so if it sells well, maybe Mattel will consider releasing more large species in the HC line too)
That depends whether or not they are available in my country. If not, I won't make the effort to import them with only a couple of exceptions.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: