News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Jurassic World (Various): New for 2022

Started by GojiraGuy1954, November 13, 2021, 10:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Wow, these are unexpected and delightfully surprising. This is a line that could deviate my interest away from the main line in a way that the Amber Collection never could.

Faelrin

RIP Amber Collection. But with all the quality control issues and poorly planned out waves with way too many raptors initially, add in the shelf warming humans, it was doomed.

This new Hammond Collection I will definitely get behind. Especially relieved to have it, as I am really disappointed with how bad the new stuff looks. Seriously getting to Hasbro levels in the paint department. No reason they can't give us better. Granted this does mean money saved, which is a good thing since I can't really commit to collecting as much as I used too.

Also that Moros is so disappointing. What an absolute shame. Better off getting David's despite the difference in coloration and sculpt to the prologue and movie one. Hopefully the Pyroraptor isn't going to be botched much, because the budget figure wasn't too bad.

Edit: Also agree with avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy . That is definitely the JW Parasaurolophus, which I'm fine with, but weird to market it as TLW one.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

I must have overlooked those attack packs and scrolled straight to the Hammond Collection. Those Attack Packs are pretty bad, largely due to the lazy paint apps. I might be interested in the Dsungaripterus but I need to see it in profile. The Miragaia is depressing.

Lynx

I can not tell if these comments about the Hammond collection are meant to be negative or not, but I personally am fond of it! Might pick up the Bary.
An oversized house cat.

GojiraGuy1954

To me it seems like the hammond collection reactions have all been positive
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Flaffy

Quote from: Lynx on January 19, 2022, 03:21:36 PM
I can not tell if these comments about the Hammond collection are meant to be negative or not, but I personally am fond of it! Might pick up the Bary.
I feel like collectors are cautiously optimistic, considering the recent track record of Mattel and how they handled the Amber Collection line. Really hope the HC has a bright future ahead though.

Quote from: Gwangi on January 19, 2022, 03:18:58 PM
The Miragaia is depressing.
I find it weird that Mattel keeps giving their stegosaur sculpts these awkward, pudgy heads. Unfortunately it seems that the Miragaia has suffered the same fate.

Gwangi

They also keep using that weird teal-green color on the stegosaurs. The original Stegosaurus, Chialingosaurus, and now the Miragaia all have it.

Shane

What I'm not super keen on is the idea of the Hammond Collection "replacing" the Amber Collection.

I still think there's room for 6" scale figures. I know it's difficult to come up with feasible dinosaurs that are doable in that scale, but the human figures are fun.

They're a bit hit or miss, but I've been enjoying them.

Faelrin

Now that I'm on my laptop, getting ready to update my mainline species thread with the new drops, I just noticed the Dsungaripterus has pycnofibers on the back, and on the wings too. That's nice.

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi Yeah hopefully the sculpts get repaints in the future that aren't so green. Thank goodness the Kentrosaurus appeared in CC, and has a really nice design.

ItsTwentyBelow

:o Woah check out the Hammond Collection! Now THIS idea I can get behind, premium series that scales with everything else. Heck, I paid $20 for the inferior Dino Rivals Parasaur. That Parasaurolophus is mine!

The fact that this line now exists gives me high hopes that we could actually soon see a re-sculpt of Moros that looks like the animal in the film! Cool stuff to hope for! I knew that Amber Collection was dead on arrival.

Loving that we are getting a Dsungaripterus!

suspsy

I'd like to see more images of the Dsungaripterus, but its bill certainly doesn't look good from overhead. And yeah, what's with that hideous teal on all the stegosaurs?

At least the Moros looks decent enough.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

Also worth mentioning on the Target site we have several new Legacy Collection, and more Hammond Collection figures on their way. I've listed what, and the dates for each. Considering they already revealed the JP raptor and Malcolm, safe to say two of the later coming Hammond figures will be those at least. Hope this Hammond Collection is also the way we'll finally get those JPIII raptors I've been waiting for since 2018, even we may need to wait until like next year or so. Edit: Maybe an actual accurate in scale TLW raptor while we are at it.

-1 Legacy Collection 2/16
-1 Legacy Collection 3/16
-1 Legacy Collection 4/20
-4 Hamond Collection 5/18
-1 Legacy Collection 6/15
-1 Legacy Collection 7/20
-2 Hammond Collection 8/17

Edit: I spoke too soon for TLW raptor. The Hammond Collection raptor is like a shrunk down version of the disappointing Amber Collection sculpt, complete with JW head sculpt and the huge feet, so I'm expecting it will be a repeat of the Amber Collection one, but smaller. Coloration is off too. At least the Amber Collection JPIII raptor had the right head so I might live with that, if they shrink that down too. At least I'm catching this early enough, so not to be disappointed later on.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yeah I'll be skipping those Attack Packs, maybe the paint will improve later.

I'm about 50/50 on these new Hammond Collection pieces.

Poseability is nice, but really that's all it has going for it. 

I see detail is being claimed, but I'm not seeing more than the same the main line sculpts have. Recall they were nicely detailed just lax on paint. 
19.99 is about the same SRP as the electronic figures maybe a bit more.
I think we had more Amber Collection humans to go before ending the line.

This comparison really kind put me off :

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on January 19, 2022, 05:44:11 PM
Also worth mentioning on the Target site we have several new Legacy Collection, and more Hammond Collection figures on their way. I've listed what, and the dates for each. Considering they already revealed the JP raptor and Malcolm, safe to say two of the later coming Hammond figures will be those at least. Hope this Hammond Collection is also the way we'll finally get those JPIII raptors I've been waiting for since 2018, even we may need to wait until like next year or so. Edit: Maybe an actual accurate in scale TLW raptor while we are at it.

-1 Legacy Collection 2/16
-1 Legacy Collection 3/16
-1 Legacy Collection 4/20
-4 Hamond Collection 5/18
-1 Legacy Collection 6/15
-1 Legacy Collection 7/20
-2 Hammond Collection 8/17

Edit: I spoke too soon for TLW raptor. The Hammond Collection raptor is like a shrunk down version of the disappointing Amber Collection sculpt, complete with JW head sculpt and the huge feet, so I'm expecting it will be a repeat of the Amber Collection one, but smaller. Coloration is off too. At least the Amber Collection JPIII raptor had the right head so I might live with that, if they shrink that down too. At least I'm catching this early enough, so not to be disappointed later on.

Look at the lack of jaw color on that Raptor too.. reminds me of the Compies.

Faelrin

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Oof. Even the Dino Rivals and Camp Cretaceous Parasaurolophus has a more accurate head sculpt. And yeah that too.

Also that price point is the same as the Massive Biters, Mega Destroyers, etc. The large non electronic ones like Stegosaurus, the new Pentaceratops, etc. So really just seems a bit more paint (or a lot with bad mainline is getting), more articulation, and no gimmicks. Also both the Parasaurolophus and Baryonyx were in the $15 range, so this is just $5 more from what they went in the mainline.

Edit: Nobody asked for these, but I figured I'd get them anyways. Have fun comparing the 2019 and 2020 Parasaurolophus head sculpts with the new one, which is strangely wider.

Gwangi

Even in profile there's something "off" about the Parasaurolophus. The head in general look misshapen, and I don't like that articulated jaw. I never liked the mainline Parasaurolophus either and skipped that one. I guess it's time to track down the Kenner Parasaurolophus, it's still the best!

Carnoking

Oof, I did not catch that in the video, that's rough looking head on. Im still in for it but I'll just be sure to keep it in profile

TheCambrianCrusader

Honestly for 20 bucks I might pick up that Para, it looks really nice despite that head on shot. Also reeeeaaaally hoping Lystrosaurus gets a proper figure instead of just a mini, been waiting ages to get another Lystro.

Fembrogon

Well, the Hammond Collection has my attention more than anything else since the Spino reissue, so hopefully we'll be able to find and judge these figures in-hand soon.
No comment on the regular figures announced.

Eocarcharia

Hammond Collection? A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one. Shame about the issues with the Raptor and Para. I'm still interested though, I'll be curious to see them in-hand. Also, this listing makes a lot more sense now.

As for the others...
The difference between the Moros figure and its appearance in the prologue is certainly strange. Maybe the figure represents a present-day, cloned version that we've yet to see instead of the "real" version from the prologue? I don't know.

The Miragaia looks like half of a good figure. The front looks alright, and I appreciate the resemblance to its appearance in Jurassic World: Alive.

But it looks like they stopped halfway and just stuck it on the back half of the Chialingosaurus. Why. This one would definitely benefit from a repaint.

Dsungaripterus doesn't look too bad to me yet, but I would need to see its face to be sure. Hopefully it's more Quetzalcoatlus, less Tapejara.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: