News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jurassic World (Various): New for 2022

Started by GojiraGuy1954, November 13, 2021, 10:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnotaurusKing

Wonder if the Dreadnoughtus is larger than that "Ultrasaurus" toy from a while back*, which was considered to be the largest dinosaur toy ever**, if I remember correctly. Not much of a Mattel collector but this is a nice looking toy, and suitably huge too. Decently accurate too (to my eyes) and it looks visually appealing, which is more than can be said for a good chunk of the other dinosaurs introduced in the Jurassic World movies.

*Definitely Dinosaurs by Playskool
**maybe not

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on June 29, 2022, 02:56:37 PM
Dan Surprise's unboxing and review of the Dreadnoughtus. You can also see comparison being made with Mattel's other sauropods. I really like the sculpt; it is faithful to the screen counterpart.

However, the paint scheme is not faithful to the screen counterpart; the Dreadnoughtus in the film was brown with faint beige stripes. Why Mattel chose blue and vibrant yellow stripes is a mystery. Maybe it would be too drab.

Maybe..or they can sell more variants?

It's probably a simplified version of the prototype which looked great :

Thought these were some cool pics of the HC Rex

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on June 29, 2022, 04:10:15 PMWonder if the Dreadnoughtus is larger than that "Ultrasaurus" toy from a while back*, which was considered to be the largest dinosaur toy ever**, if I remember correctly. Not much of a Mattel collector but this is a nice looking toy, and suitably huge too. Decently accurate too (to my eyes) and it looks visually appealing, which is more than can be said for a good chunk of the other dinosaurs introduced in the Jurassic World movies.

*Definitely Dinosaurs by Playskool
**maybe not

I have him and the Mattel Brachiosaurus and they are very close in terms of height.  If this one isnt just longer than the apatosaurus but taller than the Mattel Brach then yeah it's the largest to date sauropod toy.

Carnoking

At least it's not that crayon green that was showing up in that leaked commercial.

This honestly might be my most anticipated Mattel toy of the year, exceeding even the HC rex!

Sovereign59

Can't resist posting more Hammond Rex spam, please forgive me! 😅

Faelrin

While I'm still excited for the Dreadnoughtus, especially since it seems it is their biggest sauropod to date, I'm just not feeling as excited as I was when the Brachiosaurus was first announced, which I had wanted since I was a kid, or even last year's Apatosaurus, that I waited for since 2015. Or maybe that's just the depression hitting me. But nonetheless it is nice they are doing it at all, despite its minimal screen time, and I'm sure I'll be more excited for it once I finally get around to having it in hand, considering its roughly about as long as I am tall (I'm like 5'2", or about 157.5 cm). I guess it's nice they got dibs on this titanosaur that surprisingly no one has made figure of yet either, and a relatively decent take on it too. I wonder if they'll ever bother with doing the Mamenchisaurus or the JPIII Brachiosaurus? I think I'll be satisfied with just these three huge sauropods in my collection though.

S @Sovereign59 Great pics. Definitely tides me over until I can get my hands on it. Thanks for sharing here.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Shadowknight1

S @Sovereign59 For some reason, your rex looks like it has better pupils than many others I've seen. ???
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Faelrin

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 Okay let's see here.

Spoiler
-Baby brachiosaurus repaint/retool
-Next 3, no idea, but the first seems to be feathered at least
-Caiuajara perhaps?
-Definitely a dromaeosaurid of some kind. Could be anything though? Austroraptor maybe?
-Not entirely sure, but looks familiar

-Genydectes repaint/retool
-No idea
-Dimetrodon repaint/retool
-Zuniceratops repaint/retool

-Diabloceratops finally
-Yutyrannus maybe (lacking the crests though)? Seems to be big and feathered. Maybe also Lythronax finally?
-Repaint/retool of Liopleurodon?
-Another I have no idea

-Sinosaurus perhaps?
-Stegosaurus repaint/retool

The fact most here look like generic theropods, doesn't exactly bode well for next year's line up (if that's what these are for). But I might change my mind if I can recognize them. Wouldn't be too surprised if most are based on fragmentary remains that leave it up to the imagination.
[close]
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

JimoAi

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on June 29, 2022, 11:47:45 PMDamn

Spoiler

[close]

Looks like we've got a nothosaurus. And if that's a new Liopleurodon I regret buying the current one since that one has the wwd color scheme.  Pls tell me the plecysaur is an edaphosaurus

Sovereign59

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on June 30, 2022, 12:27:03 AMS @Sovereign59 For some reason, your rex looks like it has better pupils than many others I've seen. ???

I think they're the same as everyone else's, I have just been playing around with mine a lot and practicing taking photos of it. For all of the ones I posted, the close-ups of the face, I was really focused on getting the camera aimed up to exactly where I wanted the eye to be looking. Hopefully that made sense, haha. I know a lot of people still aren't loving the glass eyes feature that this Rex has, but for me it's one of my favorite things about it. I think I've mentioned it before, but sometimes when the room is dark, the eyes will catch light from a distant source and they'll glow, making it look like a predator hunting in the shadows :P

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on June 29, 2022, 11:47:45 PMDamn

Spoiler

[close]

Lots of interesting pieces there..but the colors? Woof.

The Stegosaurus with the armor is curious?

PrimevalRaptor

Some very interesting colorations and species in general over there, almost wonder if that Dimetrodon retool could be an attempt at Edaphosaurus given the sail shape?
IDs on the theropods would be interesting, could see Coelophysis or Austroraptor in there (though the top right one also reminds me of that Carnoraptor from the Hasbro days, just WAY better)
The true star for me is that Nothosaurus though, already looks WAY better than the Schleich one with it's weird swimming pose, hope I can get my hands on this one.

Spoiler
Also makes me wonder if that swimming creature in that new CC trailer was actually Nothosaurus and not the Spinosaurus. Hmm.
[close]

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

I do think that the aquatic critter is a Nothosaurus and that's what we're getting in CC as well. I like it more than the Schleich Nothosaurus, that's for sure. I do think that "Dimetrodon" is likely an Edaphosaurus with a Dimetrodon head. The sail on that one looks cool. Some interesting stuff there.

Prehistory Resurrection

Quote from: MLMjp on June 29, 2022, 03:59:01 PMThe actual colors of the film were a mix of dark blue and brown/beige. Mattel just decided to make the brown/beige parts yellow and the blue more vibrant, but it is no that far from the film. It looked more brown to you because of the lighting, since there isn't a in-full-daylight shot. You can more or less appreciate the dark blue in this shot:

Not a film shot, but here is the new JW Evolution model based on its Dominion appearance. It's a very dark blue:

Ah I see, thank you.

Prehistory Resurrection

Andy's Dinosaur Reviews' Review of the 2022 Mattel JWD Massive Action Ampelosaurus. The proportions look so off on the figure; especially the head but I guess Mattel took some creative liberties with this figure.

suspsy

So what is that big theropod next to the Stegosaurus supposed to be?

suspsy

Also, it will be really disappointing if that new pliosaur is electronic.

PrimevalRaptor

Quote from: suspsy on June 30, 2022, 03:56:15 PMSo what is that big theropod next to the Stegosaurus supposed to be?

Could be Sinotyrannus, it's more bulky but the crest looks Guanlong-like and it tends to be depicted with one.

And yeah that pliosaur better not be electronic, I still don't know what Mattel was thinking with that lol

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: