News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jurassic World (Various): New for 2022

Started by GojiraGuy1954, November 13, 2021, 10:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over9K

Quote from: Gwangi on June 25, 2022, 09:31:32 PMI think this picture illustrates the problem best.

Looks like a small child with their father's rubber boots on.

CarnotaurusKing

I see Dr Wu snuck in some jacana DNA during the cloning process. Honestly, do the feet really need to be this big? The Ceratosaurus and Baryonyx don't have such big feet. If balance is such a big concern that half the plastic used for this figure is in its feet, why not add a transparent rod? And it's made even worse by the fact that the rest of the figure looks quite nice. The torso should maybe be a bit bigger, but other than that, nothing wrong (to my untrained eye) with the rest of it. Shame.

Ceratosaurus still looks quite nice, though.

Carnoking

These are definitely some of the biggest feet of a Mattel theropod, and it really is a darn shame. As C @CarnotaurusKing said, it does feel unnecessary and greatly detracts from the look of an otherwise awesome toy (best rex so far, bar none!)

ItsTwentyBelow

Yuck, I am definitely not going to bother to get that T.rex.

The wildly disproportionate legs and feet completely kill the look and make it overly ridiculous.

I sure hope they can come up with a more pleasing design for the legs, and different knee articulation, before we get a HC Spinosaurus or Giganotosaurus, etc.

Prehistory Resurrection

2022 Mattel JWD Extreme Damage Pyroraptor Review from Andy's Dinosaur Reviews.

Blade-of-the-Moon

A couple pics of my HC Rex after I got the Galli in yesterday, bit less than impressed with the Galli as well..not much poseability, it's the JW version which is uglier overall..it can't close the mouth all the way because the teeth meet in a smile lol  As with the Para it's oversized head for the ball joint is weird. The eyes on the Rex just don't work from a variety of angles.

Faelrin

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking Is it worse then the Extreme Chomping T. rex disproportionately large feet in person though? That said not sure why they couldn't go with the size of the feet the Epic Roaring T. rex had. While still being large, they were much better proportioned. Maybe last year's Stomp 'N Escape T. rex too, which even had those leg mechanisms?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

terrorchicken

the crouching position does help to offset the whack proportions. I didn't know it was gonna be $50. I might wait to pick it up on sale then.

Gwangi

After seeing many more pictures and video reviews of the HC T. rex I'm starting to think that I'm gonna need it. This is this generation's Red, Thrasher, and Bull T. rex and I know that I'll be kicking myself if I let it pass by. I really wish I knew if we were getting a green Bull variant of the HC figure though, I would wait for that if I knew it was going to happen.

Shadowknight1

I think the pupil would've worked better if it had been closer to the outside of the eye.  It feels like it's a sphere with a black spot on the very back and that's not great for it.  And it could definitely use smaller feet, but that's just a big problem with every JP toy dinosaur over the years since the Kenner line died.  Sadly, it keeps getting worse.  That said, I personally think the HC Velociraptor's feet are more egregious as they don't look too much smaller than the AC Velociraptor's feet.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Gwangi

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on June 28, 2022, 12:30:18 AMI think the pupil would've worked better if it had been closer to the outside of the eye.  It feels like it's a sphere with a black spot on the very back and that's not great for it.  And it could definitely use smaller feet, but that's just a big problem with every JP toy dinosaur over the years since the Kenner line died.  Sadly, it keeps getting worse.  That said, I personally think the HC Velociraptor's feet are more egregious as they don't look too much smaller than the AC Velociraptor's feet.

The feet on the Velociraptor are definitely the worst offenders so far.

stargatedalek

To be fair on the feet, Kenner was able to get away with smaller feet through using tripod poses and soft, lighter materials respectively.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Best JP Rex in my collection vs the new girl on the block..

If nothing else it illustrates how much bigger the HC Rex would need to be to make those feet look in scale.

rubicon

Hi folks, excited to just receive this Dreadnoughtus with the mail yesterday:

Carnoking

Wow, that is an absolute BEAST

Looks like it could be the best sauropod yet in terms of detail, proportions, paint, and articulation.

JimoAi

Got the roar strikers Liopleurodon. Just saying it has mosasaur pterygoid teeth on the top jaw

Prehistory Resurrection

2022 Mattel Hammond Collection Gallimimus Review from Andy's Dinosaur Reviews.

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Prehistory Resurrection

Dan Surprise's unboxing and review of the Dreadnoughtus. You can also see comparison being made with Mattel's other sauropods. I really like the sculpt; it is faithful to the screen counterpart.

However, the paint scheme is not faithful to the screen counterpart; the Dreadnoughtus in the film was brown with faint beige stripes. Why Mattel chose blue and vibrant yellow stripes is a mystery. Maybe it would be too drab.

MLMjp

The actual colors of the film were a mix of dark blue and brown/beige. Mattel just decided to make the brown/beige parts yellow and the blue more vibrant, but it is no that far from the film. It looked more brown to you because of the lighting, since there isn't a in-full-daylight shot. You can more or less appreciate the dark blue in this shot:

Not a film shot, but here is the new JW Evolution model based on its Dominion appearance. It's a very dark blue:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: