You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What Toys Would You Want Repainted?

Started by suspsy, November 22, 2021, 01:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Just curious which toys from which brands would you want—as in actually want to buy them. Me, I'd like Safari to put brighter, more vibrant colours on their Stegosaurus and Camarasaurus. I'd also be curious to see the Velociraptor or the Deinonychus done up in different plumage, perhaps in shades of grey or dark blue.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Bread

Safari's Diplodocus, I dislike the overall color. Seems unnatural to my eyes at least, but I wouldn't mind a darker blue to be used instead.
PNSO Qianzhousaurus, others really like the mint chocolate chip color scheme, but I am not so much of a fan. Again, it is the color that it primarily is (like a light blue/hint of green mix) on the figure in which I dislike.

PNSO Amargasaurus, this figure now has a repaint I really like. I disliked the old one's pattern, and I think the new one is a major improvement. I thought I'd ad this to the list because it shows a repaint has appeared in which I'll be purchasing the figure soon, waiting for it to be on amazon prime (newer version of it at least).

Dusty Wren

I'm not fond of the color scheme on Safari's Citipati. I know there are limitations to how much color blending you can do on mass-produced figures, but the color blocking on it is too stark and the colors don't harmonize well. I think it would look nice if they doubled down on the brown and gave it a grouse-like spot pattern.

I also wish CollectA had done something more interesting with their Moropus. The sculpt is gorgeous, but the color is a straight tan with no variation. Give it dark points, a dark dorsal stripe, white rings around the eyes, something! I think mammal figures especially benefit from flashy colors, since they're less popular than dinosaurs. They need the extra pizzazz to get picked up.

I don't have any issues with PNSO's Lambeosaurus's color scheme, but after watching the teaser for the next Dead Sound video this morning I really want to repaint it like his Lambeosaurus. That combination of golden brown and bluish gray is wonderful.

Check out my customs thread!

DragonRider02

I always wanted Papo to repaint their Tupuxuara in some bold and vibrant colors so I could have male/female pair with the old one. But it probably won't happen, if the reason for retiring the original figure I've heard of is true  :P

EarthboundEiniosaurus

A repaint of Safari's Doedicurus would be nice, metallic grey armor somehow doesn't seem like a very plausible color scheme ;D
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: EarthboundEiniosaurus on November 22, 2021, 04:14:53 PM
A repaint of Safari's Doedicurus would be nice, metallic grey armor somehow doesn't seem like a very plausible color scheme ;D
Just get the better CollectA one
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Gwangi

The Battat Pachyrhinosaurus. I love the sculpt but the paintjob is trash, it really cheapens the figure.

Primeval12

Honestly, most Safari figures are great sculpts with so-so paintjobs. I would love to see them with better paint.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Primeval12 on November 22, 2021, 04:56:10 PM
Honestly, most Safari figures are great sculpts with so-so paintjobs. I would love to see them with better paint.
I feel the same except with collecta and battat instead of safari

suspsy

Quote from: Gwangi on November 22, 2021, 04:50:12 PM
The Battat Pachyrhinosaurus. I love the sculpt but the paintjob is trash, it really cheapens the figure.

THIS. As much as I love and miss Dan, I don't know what he was thinking when he came up with that colour scheme.

Sim

avatar_suspsy @suspsy, great idea for a topic!  I'd like repaints of the following figures:

1. Safari Prestosuchus.  I dislike when Safari figures have thin stripes on their faces, another example being the Safari 2020 Edmontosaurus.  I would like to see the Prestosuchus with a completely different paintjob, one that gets rid of the thin stripes on its face and the Safari 2012 Acrocanthosaurus colouration.

2. Safari 2017 Microraptor.  I'd like it to be given a layer of iridescent paint.  I was looking at my copy of this figure the other day and it is a really nice figure, but I think iridescence would make it look beautiful.

3. Favorite soft model series 2 Parasaurolophus.  It used to weirdly have pink on its claws which was unappealing to me, newer versions don't have the pink but the area of the claws it was on now just isn't painted.  Its paintjob has become pretty bad too, as can be seen here: https://f-favorite.net/collections/dinosaur_softmodel/products/fdw-005

4. Favorite soft model Guanlong.  It has an epic sculpt, but its colour scheme is horrendous.  The same three colours are used for both its feathers and bare skin which looks unnatural, the purple is unlikely for filamentous feathers, its antorbital fenestra is filled in with a different colour and its colouration is just ugly.  It probably won't be repainted as it's a discontinued museum exclusive, but it still has a place on my list.

5. PNSO Tuojiangosaurus.  It looks so dull and I don't like how the plates have a different colour on the back side.  I would also like either all or none of the osteoderms to be painted.

6. Safari 2019 Pteranodon.  I like the brown and the crest's colouration but I really don't like the colouration of its beak.  I think I'd like the figure more if its crest and beak were black, the pycnofibers grey or white and the wing membrane grey (a different shade of grey if the pycnofibers are grey).

7. PNSO 2021 Stegosaurus, I'd like it if it were more colourful.

8. Safari 2019 Stegosaurus, like the above and what you said I too would like it to be made more colourful.

9. Safari 2013 Elasmosaurus.  If we aren't going to get a new plesiosauroid figure I'd like this Elasmosaurus to be repainted with blue, black, grey or white.  But I'd prefer a new plesiosauroid with smooth skin to be made, ideally Styxosaurus.

avatar_Bread @Bread, that's funny, I actually really like the colourations of the Safari 2017 Diplodocus and PNSO Qianzhousaurus.

suspsy

Iridescent paint would definitely improve the Safari Microraptor. It looks terribly flat next to the ones from CollectA and PNSO.

Pachyrhinosaurus

In general, most Safari figures. Safari is my favorite brand, but I feel as though the paintwork is lacking in comparison to that of Schleich and Papo (though the former has been declining lately). The example I like to use is the moose. I think comparing their modern animals makes the most sense since both companies are trying to match the real animal's colors.

The Wild Safari moose is, without a doubt, the best and most accurate toy sculpt of its species.

Yet the Schleich moose look much more realistic with their more detailed paint application.

Notice the color and value shifts on the Schleich moose, especially the 2010 model. It also appears to have a dark wash, bringing out the fur and antler detail. While the paintwork on the 2017 model isn't as elaborate, it still makes use of darker paint to give it more dimension. The Safari moose, on the other hand, has a thin coat of  mostly solid paint.

I suppose this is a similar point that has been made in the past with Papo about accuracy versus realism, but I think the key here is not the level of detail in the sculpt but rather the level of detail in the paintwork.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Gwangi

Safari also likes to outline the mouth, nose, and other body parts with black which makes their products look cartoonish For example, compare Safari's bull shark with Papo's.

Papo

Safari

SidB

Quote from: Gwangi on November 22, 2021, 04:50:12 PM
Yes, sadly it takes a fine sculpt and reduces it to a toy-like status. From the moment I first saw it, that was my impression. Absolutely would benefit from. say, a "Garretization".

SRF

I would love to see what a decent paintjob would do with Collecta's most recent Tyrannosaurus Rex (the 2018 one). I'm a big fan of the Helushka art by Zubin Erik Dutta. The mane on Collecta's Rex do remind me a bit of the Helushka art.

But today, I'm just being father

Reuben03

Quote from: SRF on November 23, 2021, 07:56:28 AM
I would love to see what a decent paintjob would do with Collecta's most recent Tyrannosaurus Rex (the 2018 one). I'm a big fan of the Helushka art by Zubin Erik Dutta. The mane on Collecta's Rex do remind me a bit of the Helushka art.
damn this is gorgeous

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Mellow Stego

Safari Stegosaurus. Easily my favorite figure and I actually like the colors on it now, but I still would love a repaint. Maybe something where the plates are emphasized. Just as long they stay away from the typical green body brown plates look.

*sheepishly looks around
Most of the BotM ceratopsians could go for a repaint.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Shonisaurus

I would like the collecta dilophosaurus from 2021 to have other shades of paint. It is sculpturally beautiful and precise but it spoils the painting. A correct repaint of the dilophosaurus would be great.

Sim

Another figure I'd like a new colouration for is the CollectA Gigantspinosaurus.  The sculpt is good but I really don't like its current colouration: how only some osteoderms are painted grey - same problem as the PNSO Tuojiangosaurus :-\, how the large spines are tipped with red - it looks unnatural, and the main yellow and brown colour scheme with grey plates I find boring.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: