News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

W-Dragon: New for 2022

Started by blnadal, December 06, 2021, 11:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

need4swede

So some people have shared their figures on FB; and from what I can tell, either some of these fellas got counterfeits - or WD has a serious QC problem.

Here's some photos of the Buck Rex:
Spoiler

This one doesn't look too bad, though (different owner)

[close]

Here's some of the Indo-Rex:
Spoiler

[close]

But here are some users who said their figures look great...

Buck Rex:
Spoiler

[close]

Indo-Rex:
Spoiler

[close]
- Swede

Blade-of-the-Moon

I noticed the same on Facebook.  I'm not sure how they received these so early since I had seen the release was later in March.

If real it definitely looks like a down grade from the prototype and at a roughly 60.00 price increase I'm not interested.

Granted the cg version of that t.rex was not the best choice to base a statue on anyway..

But, it was unique in that regard and paired with the Spinosaurus well which will probably also suffer from the same issues. :/

Seems to be a trend across the board, drop in paint quality/raise the prices.

need4swede

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon

It would seem so; I'm also surprised at how some people have their figures already.
But there are some users who say their figure looks great - the Indo one I shared looks pretty good, imo.
There's a Buck owner who says theirs looks good, too - albeit their photos aren't as such.

I ordered all but the Indo. - I am still going to keep my pre-orders until more information surfaces.
If this is really how these figures are, then I am thoroughly disappointed. My previous W-Dragon figures have been some of my favorites in my collection; was hoping they would continue to deliver in that regard.
- Swede

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: need4swede on January 17, 2022, 05:08:47 PM

It would seem so; I'm also surprised at how some people have their figures already.
But there are some users who say their figure looks great - the Indo one I shared looks pretty good, imo.
There's a Buck owner who says theirs looks good, too - albeit their photos aren't as such.

I ordered all but the Indo. - I am still going to keep my pre-orders until more information surfaces.
If this is really how these figures are, then I am thoroughly disappointed. My previous W-Dragon figures have been some of my favorites in my collection; was hoping they would continue to deliver in that regard.

See I was never convinced by their early offerings. I preferred Nanmu.   I did buy the Indoraptor, and having approved of it's quality purchased the Indominus Rex ( Which I have now) and the Mosasaur.   Then they came out with the Rexes and Spino and the price has been raised quite a bit.  That concerns me.  As does the dip in quality.  Do they think just because it's a tyrannosaur and a spinosaurus they can ask more?   Surely the size is no bigger than the Indominus.  Which is about the same size as Nanmu's Bull Rex/Once and Future King piece.

JohannesB

I have their "Rexy", and it is just about flawless. The Giraffatitan is winging its way to me as we speak and could arrive any day now. I am curious to see if it will hold up to what it is hyped up to be (and if it is indeed completely solid, which I doubt a little). Anyway, these new Jurassic Park offerings are not for me, since they do not evoke any feelings in me (I really only have feelings for the movie Jurassic Park - and although I think The Lost World: Jurassic Park does have its merits, all the other movies in the franchise leave me cold). I hope all of yours will hold up to your expectations!

stoneage

I have it and it is definitely solid.

JohannesB

Quote from: stoneage on January 17, 2022, 09:20:33 PM
I have it and it is definitely solid.

It is definitely not. It is hollow and partly filled with resin.
(Neck, head and legs: PVC; Body: vinyl, filling resin)

need4swede

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 17, 2022, 05:46:49 PM

See I was never convinced by their early offerings. I preferred Nanmu.   I did buy the Indoraptor, and having approved of it's quality purchased the Indominus Rex ( Which I have now) and the Mosasaur.   Then they came out with the Rexes and Spino and the price has been raised quite a bit.  That concerns me.  As does the dip in quality.  Do they think just because it's a tyrannosaur and a spinosaurus they can ask more?   Surely the size is no bigger than the Indominus.  Which is about the same size as Nanmu's Bull Rex/Once and Future King piece.

I haven't had any complaints. I own their Spinosaurus and Giganotosaurus, and I think they both look amazing; neither of which cost an arm and a leg, comparatively. Nanmu sure does offer better bang for the buck figures, but I thought the W-Dragon stuff always had a nice style to them - less lifelike and more artistic. It was for this reason that I didn't hesitate to order these new figures.

My W-Dragon Spinosaurus

I have cancelled my WD Buck Rex; if the Spinosaurus ends up disappointing, too, then I will cancel that as well. Sucks to be losing the deposit I put down, but seeing as how these figures cost a fortune (both the product and shipping), it's a far better solution than to end up with a disappointing product. 
- Swede

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: need4swede on January 17, 2022, 11:29:11 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 17, 2022, 05:46:49 PM

I haven't had any complaints. I own their Spinosaurus and Giganotosaurus, and I think they both look amazing; neither of which cost an arm and a leg, comparatively. Nanmu sure does offer better bang for the buck figures, but I thought the W-Dragon stuff always had a nice style to them - less lifelike and more artistic. It was for this reason that I didn't hesitate to order these new figures.

My W-Dragon Spinosaurus

I have cancelled my WD Buck Rex; if the Spinosaurus ends up disappointing, too, then I will cancel that as well. Sucks to be losing the deposit I put down, but seeing as how these figures cost a fortune (both the product and shipping), it's a far better solution than to end up with a disappointing product.

To each their own, I did almost buy it myself though.    Where did you preorder from? Sugo is the only place I've seen that carries them? Not even Lana is bothering to try. 

need4swede

Some more images of the Buck Rex:

Spoiler

[close]

If this thing wasn't so expensive, it would have been a great addition to folks with JP collections. But for that price, I think I'll pass.
There also seems to be a slight comparison to the older WD Spino - looking quite a lot "thicker" than the Buck Rex, but could just be perspective tricks.

- Swede

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: need4swede on February 22, 2022, 08:42:25 PM
Some more images of the Buck Rex:

If this thing wasn't so expensive, it would have been a great addition to folks with JP collections. But for that price, I think I'll pass.
There also seems to be a slight comparison to the older WD Spino - looking quite a lot "thicker" than the Buck Rex, but could just be perspective tricks.

I wasn't nearly as impressed with it as I was with the previous licensed pieces..and the price went up quite a bit as well for it and Spino and female Rex.  I just don't see why?   

JohannesB

They´ve certainly lost me for good.

Over9K

Apparently W-Dragon is doing a pair of "Vintage" Tyrannosaurus rex statues/models. Going by the images, the release will be similar to REBOR's Smilodon, one body, two different heads, one mouth closed, one mouth open.

I have no idea if these are to be PVC, or polyresin, and I haven't a clue on size, or price. I am interested to find out. I like the stop-motion puppet vibe of the white one especially.

EDIT: Found W-Dragon's statement on these;

"For our love for the old dinosaur restorations in the last century pause animation, Wanzhou Hall introduced a model of the classic Restorative style of the Dragon King.

We gave this dragon dragon an angry look because in early set animation, the dinosaurs move their legs and faces to embody action, and sometimes reveal large teeth, which can be said to be an acrobatical shot has been reproduced by us in a modernized way.

Faulted three fingers and broadness in the earliest King Dragon Skeleton reconstructions allow us the opportunity to exhibit stronger upper body muscles than the current King Dragon Restoration. Basic figure proportions are based on the ancient upright AMNH5027, and the shape structure has been fine-tuned with reference to common Old Century Restorations.

The more expansive legs and joints meet the barbaric fantasies of the dinosaur world in the early years of communication culture, the solid legs reveal the gravity of giants.

The most common square beads in early Restoration and animation and giant pieces are organically combined in this work, based on the arrangement form of pieces of ancient and animated pieces, written and shaped forms of the detailed texture of similar modern animals, making a reenactment of the style original but in accordance with the modern pop aesthetic.

PRODUCT INFORMATION: SIZE: STRAIGHT LENGTH: 55CM HEIGHT: 30CM MATERIAL: PVC RATIO: 1/20 THERE ARE TWO COLOR COMBINATION FOR CHOICE, respectively: CLASSIC GREEN AND WHITE VERSION. Each color-matching version tape comes with two interchangeable heads for the post and shut-down versions. Expected shipment in September 2022"

SidB

!/20 ... these will be centerpiece material, massive in visual impact and wallet-emptying to boot, I'll bet. I'm not a big retro person, but these are impressive, avatar_Over9K @Over9K .

Blade-of-the-Moon

Just preordered both at Sugo Toys.
https://sugotoys.com.au/product/wdctr12mt47/
https://sugotoys.com.au/product/wdctr12mt48/

Just a 115.00 USD each. Not bad at all for a 12" tall x 20" long? statue/figure/ect. 

It's neat they are based on the AMNH old mount.  The green one reminds of a Godzillasaurus..honestly both have a bit of a Kaiju feel to them.  I ordered both as I like both colors and expressions.  They would look great facing off against each other.

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 16, 2022, 04:11:17 AM

Just a 115.00 USD each. Not bad at all for a 12" tall x 20" long? statue/figure/ect. 

It's neat they are based on the AMNH old mount.  The green one reminds of a Godzillasaurus..honestly both have a bit of a Kaiju feel to them.  I ordered both as I like both colors and expressions.  They would look great facing off against each other.

Any idea what the shipping from Australia will be?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on March 16, 2022, 04:42:21 AM

Any idea what the shipping from Australia will be?

lets see...I think it was seventy something AUD? For EMS. I added about 9.00 more for the quicker option EMS they have.

need4swede

..honestly both have a bit of a Kaiju feel to them.

My thoughts exactly. Not a bad idea, I would think, since it falls in the center of the Venn diagram of prehistoric / dinosaur collectors and monster collectors. They look really cool - I hope the production variants live up to the promise.

I wonder if it's just a coincidence that W-Dragon is doing this one and Nanmu is doing the Mordred figure - both leaning more towards a more Japanese design influence, with the latter looking straight out of something like 'Monster Hunter'. Personally, I think these are fantastic and I would love to see more fantasy figures from these companies; simply because they are all so talented at making these figures that I know they will sell and eventually might get more people involved in the hobby. What got me started was my first figure, and here I am 30+ figures later - and I know I'm not alone in that.
- Swede

Willaim bratton

Nice to see something besides another boring Jp rex

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: need4swede on March 16, 2022, 04:29:30 PM
..honestly both have a bit of a Kaiju feel to them.

My thoughts exactly. Not a bad idea, I would think, since it falls in the center of the Venn diagram of prehistoric / dinosaur collectors and monster collectors. They look really cool - I hope the production variants live up to the promise.

I wonder if it's just a coincidence that W-Dragon is doing this one and Nanmu is doing the Mordred figure - both leaning more towards a more Japanese design influence, with the latter looking straight out of something like 'Monster Hunter'. Personally, I think these are fantastic and I would love to see more fantasy figures from these companies; simply because they are all so talented at making these figures that I know they will sell and eventually might get more people involved in the hobby. What got me started was my first figure, and here I am 30+ figures later - and I know I'm not alone in that.

I think they are cool, maybe a bit heavy on the draconic aspects of both, but at least the WDragon pieces look more like a dinosaur.  Should fit well with my Xplus Toho Dinos like Gorosaurus.   Mordred though is really losing me..I wanted an Ultimasaurus for a LONG time but you can just barely see any dinosaur parts at all in it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: