You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Suggestion for reference thread or area for the forum

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, June 28, 2012, 09:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

I have been on the site for a month or so, give or take and gotten to speak with the members and interact, and watch and so forth, while posting some threads that were interesting for myself as well. As I have used the forum the idea keeps working itself forward in my mind and making me wonder.
    You have so many of the best minds and insights into the dinosaur collecting hobby right here, resident within the board. It would be so simple to form an area of the board, marked as reference, where there could be a standard posting for each toy line picturing the various figures, variations and explaining them. The members have already done this to a degree, ie, bokisaurus and his handling of the Battat line, as well as a few others. If you allowed a member that was quite well suited to take each toyline and establish its thread as a reference, you would have an amazing resouce that a new viewer could use and view as somewhat more than just a showcase of someone's collection with its possible errors or mistakes.
  I know that just last night I was looking around for a thread to give me information on kaiyodos. I posted on the topic and within ten hours I had links and access to every imagineable reference there could be for the topic.
The members here are the stars, and such a reference would allow them to shine quite nicely. Of course once each toyline had an established and thorough thread, as new revelations or information becomes possible,you would be able to review for accuracy.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoToyForum

I think that's an excellent suggestion.

I've been trying to do something along similar lines on the Collectors Guide on the blog (http://www.dinotoyblog.com/dinosaur-toy-collectors-guide/), but it's such a huge project and has turned out to be very slow going. However, as a community, we can do a much more efficient and thorough job than I can do on my own with a small band of volunteers.

Maybe I could split the 'dinosaurs toys' section into two sections, one dedicated to specific lines, the other to more general discussion...I'll think how best to implement it :)

In the meantime, if anyone wishes to create a thread for any particular dino toy line, that would be great. We could always add a full list, with links to individual blog reviews, to the first post of each thread and update them as new reviews are published. A sort of dino-toy wiki ;)

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 01, 2012, 04:57:11 PM
I think that's an excellent suggestion.

I've been trying to do something along similar lines on the Collectors Guide on the blog (http://www.dinotoyblog.com/dinosaur-toy-collectors-guide/), but it's such a huge project and has turned out to be very slow going. However, as a community, we can do a much more efficient and thorough job than I can do on my own with a small band of volunteers.

Maybe I could split the 'dinosaurs toys' section into two sections, one dedicated to specific lines, the other to more general discussion...I'll think how best to implement it :)

In the meantime, if anyone wishes to create a thread for any particular dino toy line, that would be great. We could always add a full list, with links to individual blog reviews, to the first post of each thread and update them as new reviews are published. A sort of dino-toy wiki ;)
Precisely, delegate my friend, delegate. Oversee, and structure the final output. Then let the membership do what they do so well.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

amargasaurus cazaui

It seems like this is quietly taking shape for you. I see there is a starlux thread now, and one is being made for Safari apparently and Fauna casts as well. It is interesting watching the threads come together and the enormous amount of models and figures that come with it, wow.Now if we can get postie and a few others to do a sideshow thread.....

DinoToyForum

OK, so I'm going to create two new categories ('Dinosaur toy lines' and 'Dinosaur groups', and then jiggle all the existing threads into their appropriate place...watch this space.  C:-)

DinoToyForum

So! I have set up two new boards:

Dinosaur toy lines

and

Dinosaur groups

I've gathered all the threads from the general toy discussion board and the collections board. It was only when I started moving them that I realised what a bunch of busy bees we have been! Thanks to everyone who has already created threads - they make for an excellent reference. I hope these areas will be a useful resource for us all, I certainly feel they provide a much more easy to navigate structure for the dinosaur toys category as a whole.

Oh yes, if anyone sees a gap that they feel able to fill - a company or taxonomic group without a dedicated thread - then you are most welcome to create an appropriate new topic. Also, commentts and suggestions are welcome, and if I've overlooked any existing topics that I could move, let me know  :)

Thanks for Amargasaurus for suggesting this in the first place  C:-) I hope everyone agrees this is an improvement to the forum  :)

stemturtle

Thanks to Amargasaurus for the idea and to Dr. Adam for organizing the threads.  Categories for toy lines and groups will not only make it easier to find a reference, but also will help to know where to place a new post.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

amargasaurus cazaui

Yay, I went and looked and now it does seem to flow much better and fit more smoothly, in my own opinion. Once you divided and sorted the threads it helped organize and sort the entire thing as well as creating a very handy reference tool for others to use. I can imagine how that will look in a year or so with all the different lines filled out and completed.

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 27, 2012, 09:44:14 PM
Yay, I went and looked and now it does seem to flow much better and fit more smoothly, in my own opinion. Once you divided and sorted the threads it helped organize and sort the entire thing as well as creating a very handy reference tool for others to use. I can imagine how that will look in a year or so with all the different lines filled out and completed.
So which CollectA thread would we use? There are two, and both seem to have the same basic purpose.

Takama

Quote from: SBell on July 27, 2012, 10:08:20 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 27, 2012, 09:44:14 PM
So which CollectA thread would we use? There are two, and both seem to have the same basic purpose.

Well one started out as my CollectA Collection in the collections, and was manly focused on the ones i owned.

The other one was open for all for discusion on the brand in general.

also   There are two Papo threads but one of them has yet to move and the other seems to be ignored.

DTF or someone with the ability. Can you please keep my CollecA Picture refrencee guide thread alive on the forum. I put alot of work into that. and maybe move it back to the collections? (since its pretty much about my collection)

DinoToyForum

How about if I merge the two CollectA threads into a single topic located in the 'dinosaur toy line' section? There are only three posts in one of the topics anyway.

I can potentially do the same for the Papo threads...but where is the other papo topic?

Takama

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 28, 2012, 12:45:50 AM
How about if I merge the two CollectA threads into a single topic located in the 'dinosaur toy line' section? There are only three posts in one of the topics anyway.

I can potentially do the same for the Papo threads...but where is the other papo topic?

Dinosaur toys section

Papo Prehistoric Fantasey figures Is what i named it

DinoToyForum

I merged Takama's two CollectA threads into one. The posts from each thread are ordered by date, so I hope the discussion still flows more or less normally. I also manually merged the content of the first two posts, so the topic as a whole makes more sense. I also trimmed several posts because photobucket images were missing from them. And I couldn't resist correcting some typos on my way ;) Takama, feel free to edit the first post if you prefer a different format. I also did the same with the two Papo threads but that wasn't so difficult because one only had a single post.

Takama

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 28, 2012, 10:48:50 AM
I merged Takama's two CollectA threads into one. The posts from each thread are ordered by date, so I hope the discussion still flows more or less normally. I also manually merged the content of the first two posts, so the topic as a whole makes more sense. I also trimmed several posts because photobucket images were missing from them. And I couldn't resist correcting some typos on my way ;) Takama, feel free to edit the first post if you prefer a different format. I also did the same with the two Papo threads but that wasn't so difficult because one only had a single post.

Thankyou for deleteing the Photobucket posts with pictures that were not avaible.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.