News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Prehistoric Elephants

Started by Bokisaurus, January 04, 2014, 05:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

Prehistoric Elephants
Elephants, past and present, have a long evolution history. Like many giant beast, they started small. In their long evolutionary history, the elephant line have produces some truly spectacular, strange and bizarre species. The tusk, one of the most distinguished features of the family, has also undergone amazing transformation, from spiral, shovel, spikes, and the long curving more familiar with extant species. The trunk, too, have gone to major changes in length, although this is much harder to prove than the tusk.

Unfortunately, despite the rich diversity of species, only a handful of these species were made into toy figures. The most famous of them all is of course the woolly mammoth, a staple of all toy models producing company. All of the major toy companies have one in their respective collections of prehistoric animals, often added in their dinosaur line.
Deinotherium is quickly becoming popular and viable species to produce in toy form, with CollectA and Mojo releasing one respectively.  Rare are the earlier species, although there is a moeritherium figure produced by Starlux.
Ambelodon, Platybelodon, Gomphotherium are the other species that have some toy representation.
In addition to toy figures, there are of course resin model kits and some metal figures (popular with games) of these creatures available.

The very common and popular mammoths

The rising star Deinotherium

[[URL=http://s344.photobucket.com/user/Bokichops/media/DSCN0098_zpsd653d06a.jpg.html]

The others

[[/URL]

Humble beginning

Past and present

So, there are more out there, these are just a small sample of what I have. Feel free to post your collection, I'm sure you have some ;)
Cheers! :D

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Bokisaurus

Favorite Prehistoric Life (soft model) series woolly mammoth, new for 2014
[
Joining the herd
[]

alexeratops

like a bantha!

Nebuloid

Awesome topic ! Always loved staring at these animals in my old encyclopedia as a kid ( Platybelodon, Amebelodon ! ) . Unfortunately I have nothing to contribute, as I have no elephants...

Alexxitator

Oow this is a nice thread! I'll add my 2 pennies shortly.
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

Arul

Wahh it gloss-look make them look like after taking a bath,good for diorama model in water theme :D

BlueKrono

Oddly-tusked prehistoric elephants collection
Included Ephant Mon from Star Wars just for funsies as he is clearly based on a Platybelodon. On the right you can see the Brumm pewter flat of Deinotherium from Germany. This rare piece is at least half a century old, and is one of my favorites due to the beast inexplicably having two trunks and two tails in addition to its two tusks.

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Wow! Impressive catch with that vintage deinothere!

What are the two shovel-tuskers in the middle? Are they Amebelodon or Platybelodon? What's the company?

Flaffy

Far left: Safari Amebelodon
Middle upturned shovel tooth: Geoworld Amebelodon
Furry brown shovel tooth: Bullyland Gomphotherium
Small middle shovel tooth: Yujin Platybelodon

Derek.McManus

Nice models and an interesting topic...one of my daughters asked Santa for a mammoth one year as a child she still has it and is 19 now! 😀

Dilopho

Boki, could you or anyone else in-the-know update the first post with the names and companies of the models?

AcroSauroTaurus

My elephants

Figures:
Schleich female African Elephant (retired)
Schleich male Asian Elephant
Safari Woolly Mammoth
Invicta painted Woolly Mammoth
Small orange Woolly Mammoth (needs identification)
TEDCO Dig-Up-Dino Woolly Mammoth skeleton (retired)
I am the Dinosaur King!

BlueKrono

And what I consider my "incidentals":
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

EoFauna Palaeoloxodon

Someone else will have to post the steppe mammoth
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

With how much I love elephants I can't believe I still don't have the Palaeoloxodon! It's a great figure.

RobinGoodfellow

Stegodon

Gomphotherium

Amebelodon

Platybelodon

Mastodon

Steppe Mammoth

Woolly Mammoth

..extants..

(for info about figures, please follow the link at the end, clicking on picture you're interested)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157683552541994/with/47702949111/

:)

Halichoeres

I mostly don't collect elephants (to me, they're basically modern animals), but these are some gorgeous pieces.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

I love all the fauna, both extinct and fortunately existing. In my case I collect all kinds of extinct animals (even if they are recent like thylacine or quagga). In this case I really like the extinct elephants and although they are modern some do not stop being curious like the moeritherium.

Melekh

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.