News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What dinosaurs look best with feathers?

Started by CarnegieCollector, August 10, 2016, 03:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these, in your opinion, look best with feathers? (Evidence or lack thereof feathers doesn't apply)

Ornithomimosaurs (Deinocheirus, gallimimus, ornithomimus, pelicanimimus, struthiomimus)
Oviraptorids (Anzu, Gigantoraptor, Oviraptor, citipati, apatoraptor)
Tyrannosaurs (Tyrannosaurus, Yutyrannus, tarbosaurus, gaunlong, daspletosaurus, gorgosaurus)
Dromeosaurids (Velociraptor, Deinonychus, Utahraptor, archreoraptor, dakotaraptor)
Ornithischians (Stegosaurus, Triceratops, ankylosaurus, hypsilophodon, parasaurolophus, Corythosaurus)
Misc. carnivores (Carcharodontosaurus, acrocanthosaurus, coelophysis, allosaurus, Giganotosaurus, spinosaurus)
How they really looked in life is my favorite.

CarnegieCollector

Those are good points!  ^-^ you explained yourself very well. I guess it is more of a matter of "how they look with feathers" as you said, and not so much "which ones look best with feathers". Accuracy is a very important factor in reconstructing an extinct animal.

And, oh mah gosh, that raptor image is from the Natural History museum? Ehh....they coulda done a better job, accuracy-wise! It looks cool, just not very accurate when it comes to the feather placement.

I feel like such an idiot for not liking that specific feathered T. rex painting, I just never cared for it. Maybe it's the colors. This one (which I believe is by the same artist) looks pretty cool though:
http://media.moddb.com/images/games/1/28/27193/rjpalmer_trex_001.JPG
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

Gwangi

You're not an idiot. Art is subjective, people like what they like and that's fine. The one you posted is good too, I agree. And yeah, I don't know how a museum could justify that Velociraptor.  :P

Rain

I like Tyrannosaurs having light, tight feathering. Here's an example of what I mean.

Top pic is an ingame model of a T rex for the stomping lands/The isle(apparently)
Bottom pic is a Gorgosaurus model by Shane foulkes

I'm pretty sure you'd like these interpretations as well, CarnegieCollector.

Gwangi

I'm a big fan of John Conway's Tyrannosaurus.

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: Gwangi on August 11, 2016, 03:45:54 AM

Thats a nice one! He seems......sad though.......I wonder why.

Oh yeah, all his friends are extinct. That's why.  :)

I
Quote from: Rain on August 11, 2016, 03:13:36 AM
I like Tyrannosaurs having light, tight feathering. Here's an example of what I mean.

Top pic is an ingame model of a T rex for the stomping lands/The isle(apparently)
Bottom pic is a Gorgosaurus model by Shane foulkes

I'm pretty sure you'd like these interpretations as well, CarnegieCollector.

Wow! Those are cool ones! I love the T. Rex. You don't really even notice it has feathers until you look at it for a while.

Yes. Yes. I think I have a new favorite feathered T. rex interpretation. I also like the quills on some paintings. Kinda porcupine-ish

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on August 11, 2016, 03:45:54 AM

No doubt about it for me, this is my absolute favourite depiction of a T rex, feathered or unfeathered. It looks like a real animal, of genuine majesty and immense power, an animal to be both respected and feared, not in the same way one would fear a monster, but the way one would fear a grizzly bear or a lion. The understated simplicity of the design render it so much more believable for me, than rex's shown with big colourful crests or obnoxiously spiky filaments. If there was a figure produced of this rex, I would pay any price for it.

CarnegieCollector

The Atroxious

Quote from: Rain on August 11, 2016, 03:13:36 AM

Personally, I find this one of the more plausible examples of Tyrannosaurus plumage given what we know. To be honest, I'm not convinced that tyrannosaurines were feathered given that we have skin impressions from a few different genera, with no evidence of feathering at all. I'm thinking that they may have followed a similar evolution to humans and certain types of pigs, or, as I mentioned before, the ornithopods, which show evidence of featherlike structures in the basal forms, yet by the time of the hadrosaurs, we see a lot of scutes, but no feathers.

That said, I like the look of heavily feathered tyrannosaurines just fine on an aesthetic level. I'm just more inclined to suspect they lacked feathers, or had very fine, short, silky feathers that didn't preserve well. Still, I can't deny that it would be an impressive sight indeed to witness a Tyrannosaurus fluffing itself up in order to look bigger and tougher for display or defense.

fleshanthos

Can't vote on this, since there is no option "how they REALLY looked in life is my favorite."
If a TRex had ostrichlike feathers; then it's time to update my model. Right now, it represents some disease like the mange.

If we ever CAN be certain that TRex was entirely a scavenger,(gonna go on record and say, yaaaaa......no way,) then, reluctance and sadness aside, that is what it was!
People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Laughable Beliefs

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: fleshanthos on August 13, 2016, 03:07:06 PM
Can't vote on this, since there is no option "how they REALLY looked in life is my favorite."
If a TRex had ostrichlike feathers; then it's time to update my model. Right now, it represents some disease like the mange.

If we ever CAN be certain that TRex was entirely a scavenger,(gonna go on record and say, yaaaaa......no way,) then, reluctance and sadness aside, that is what it was!
Ok, you can vote on it now! Go check the poll.  :D

The Atroxious

Quote from: fleshanthos on August 13, 2016, 03:07:06 PM

Why be sad if Tyrannosaurus was a scavenger? Modern day obligate scavengers have some of the most impressive abilities among any animal. Hunting isn't "better" than scavenging any more than herbivory is "better" than insectivory.

That said, it's almost impossible for Tyrannosaurus to have been an obligate scavenger due to the ecosystem it inhabited, and its limitations in locomotion. All predators will scavenge when given the opportunity, but obligate scavengers need a very specialized set of adaptations, and an environment that makes it possible to get meat without killing the animal said meat belonged to.

CarnegieCollector

Yeah, I think T. rex woulda scavenged on occasion. I doubt it was a full scavenger like a vulture, but like the Atroxious said, all predators scavenge from time to time.

fleshanthos

Well, yes, you don't turn up available meat unless eating it would likely kill you. And predators generally have much higher stomach pH than us ...ok, omnivores. (I'm sorry, despite my Uni Ecology textbook, I REFUSE to say "plant predators". Stoooopiditty.)

But sexy T. rexy, I'm sure he's designed to hunt. BIG game. 
People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Laughable Beliefs

Balaur

On the subject of feathered Tyrannosaurus, this is hands down the best I've ever seen:

But the question of how do you like feathered dinosaurs is basically the same thing as asking if you like dinosaurs. Dinosaurs had feathers, there is absolutely no doubt about that. I like dinosaurs, whatever integument they had, I don't care, they are an amazing group of animals and by far the most interesting.

Flaffy

LophoLeeVT

i like al feathered dinosaurs the same!!!
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Neosodon

The only dinosaurs I can really picture with feathers are small bird like theropods. I've always imagined herbivores that lived in arctic regions as being like whales and having a layer of blubber for insulation.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: Neosodon on November 02, 2016, 04:09:04 PM
The only dinosaurs I can really picture with feathers are small bird like theropods. I've always imagined herbivores that lived in arctic regions as being like whales and having a layer of blubber for insulation.

Blubbery dinosaurs! That would be cool!

Tyto_Theropod

I vote Oviraptorids, because they are the ones that the addition of feathers improves the most. They look like ugly monsters when they're all scaly and shrinkwrapped, but when you put feathers on them and flesh them out a bit they suddenly become extremely birdlike and rather elegant.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on November 02, 2016, 11:25:25 PM
I vote Oviraptorids, because they are the ones that the addition of feathers improves the most. They look like ugly monsters when they're all scaly and shrinkwrapped, but when you put feathers on them and flesh them out a bit they suddenly become extremely birdlike and rather elegant.

I agree completely. They look like actual animals once integument is bestowed upon them. Same thing goes for Dromeaosaurs, therizinosaurs (though, not to the extent of the oviraptorids), ornithomimosaurs, and compsognathids (although, they look good in scales too.)
:D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: