News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Updating forum icons

Started by Sim, January 06, 2020, 07:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

This is what I would personally choose

Dinosaur collectibles
Dinosaur toys (general) - Safari Tyrannosaurus
Dinosaur toy lines - PNSO Ankylosaurus
Dinosaur kits - Shane Foulkes Allosaurus
Dinosaur groups - Carnegie Ichtyosaurus
Collections - Carnegie Amargasaurus
Classifieds - Favorite Neovenator

Dinosaurs and palaeontology
Dinosaurs and palaeontology - Eofauna Giganotosaurus
In the news - CollectA Lisowicia
Books, film, and other media - Papo Green Running Tyrannosaurus (2012)
Museums, theme parks, and other places -
Safari Archaeopteryx
Dinosaur art
Dinosaur art - Battat Pachyrhinosaurus
Dioramas - Papo Dimetrodon
Customised figures - Schleich Psittacosaurus

General category
General - CollectA Carnotaurus
Other toys and collectibles - Rebor Acrocanthosaurus
Games - Safari Deinonychus

Members
New members - PNSO Spinops (medium size)
Members' board - Safari Anzu

Administration
Reviewers board - Schleich Kentrosaurus (2015)
Forum and blog business - Safari Edmontosaurus (2020)
Dinosaur Toy Forum diorama contests - Papo Styracosaurus

Stegotyranno420

Dinosaur toys general:Collecta Iguanodon
Dinosaur toy lines: Carengie triceratops(oldest)
Dinosaur kits: Rebor stegosaurus
Dinosaur groups: BotM velociraptor or Chasmosaurus
Collections:Safari Inostravencia
Classifieds: Bullyland arizonasaurus
Dinosaurs and paleontology: Eofauna Giganotosaurus
In the news: Safari American Mastodon
Books film and media: Papo t rex(standing, green or brown)
Museums, theme parks, etc: Carnegie elasmosaurus(old)
Dinosaur art: papo acrocanthosaurus
Dioramas: Battat Pachyrhinosaurus
Custom figures: ( any customized figure, if not, then the safari 2018 ankylosaurus or feathered t rex)
General:Invicta Lambeosaurus
Other toys and collectibles: Collecta indricotherium
Games: Collecta deluxe dimorphodon
New members: collecta moropus
Members board: Papo Spinosaurus(old)
Forum and blog buisness: Carnegie oviraptor
DTF diorama contests: Safari 2019 styracosaurus

tell me if im missing something

Killekor

Quote from: suspsy on January 08, 2020, 01:09:12 PM
Quote from: Killekor on January 08, 2020, 12:39:02 PM
Plus, the only good place for the LEGO Pteranodon in my opinion is the "other toys and collectibles board". I personally don't find LEGO to be strictly related to dinosaur collecting. Ok, it also produces dinosaurs, but (for me) they are other type of toys.

Killekor

A dinosaur toy is a dinosaur toy. Plus CollectA, Safari, Schleich, Papo, and PNSO aren't strictly related to dinosaur collecting either. In any case, I'm happy for LEGO to be included among the icons. Great move.

I didn't explain me well. I was meaning that I don't find LEGO dinosaurs to be strictly related to dinosaurs from other brands. They still represent dinosaurs, but I don't consider them of the same kind of dinosaur toys than the ones from the other brand. That's why the only place I would like for a LEGO figure is the "other toys and collectibles" board.

Anyways, I've changed idea about the "dinosaur groups" board: the figure I would like in it is the BotM Centrosaurus.

Quote from: Loon on January 08, 2020, 04:44:52 PM
If we're going to have something like that in the other toys section, maybe a dinobot could work? Snarl would work well, as it's another brand of you, as well as representing stegosaurus.

That's a nice idea.

Quote from: Stegotyranno on January 09, 2020, 03:11:15 AM
Books film and media: Papo t rex(standing, green or brown)

I like your idea!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Loon

I wonder if there's a way to set up a vote on these. I'm not exactly sure how a poll would work, but maybe? I feel like, now that everyone can see the new banner, the icons should be updated as soon as possible.

Loon

Quote from: Killekor on January 09, 2020, 04:54:43 PM
I didn't explain me well. I was meaning that I don't find LEGO dinosaurs to be strictly related to dinosaurs from other brands. They still represent dinosaurs, but I don't consider them of the same kind of dinosaur toys than the ones from the other brand. That's why the only place I would like for a LEGO figure is the "other toys and collectibles" board.

That doesn't make any sense. What's so different about a Lego toy to make it a separate category? A Lego Tyrannosaurus is still a toy dinosaur so unless this suddenly becomes the "Anything But Dino Toy Forum", it counts.

Sim

avatar_Loon @Loon, I think your selection is good.

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, I think your selection is mostly good but I think it would be better to not have the same dinosaur for more than one section.  So I'd suggest changing one of the Tyrannosaurus for something else.  Also I would find it annoying to have to keep seeing the Carnegie Ichthyosaurus with the ammonite stuck in its mouth, so I'd prefer to see something else instead of that figure e.g. the Wild Safari Ichthyosaurus.  I also find the Rebor Acrocanthosaurus quite ugly and I'd prefer to see something else instead of it.  One last thing I would say is I'd prefer to see the Schleich Kentrosaurus used for a section everyone can see, maybe swap it with the Rebor Acrocanthosaurus or one of the ceratopsians as the ceratopsians are a bit over-represented.

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno, I think it would be good to not have a species used more than once for a section.  So I'd suggest having only one Spinosaurus and Giganotosaurus and changing the others to different species.  A few other thoughts I have:
1. I'd like to see the BOTM Velociraptor mongoliensis instead of the Atrociraptor.
2. No godzilla, only real prehistoric animals please.
3. I'd prefer the Wild Safari Elasmosaurus to stay instead of having the Carnegie Elasmosaurus.
4. For the customised figure section, I would like to see a non-customised figure instead of preferential treatment of someone's customised figure.
5. Regarding the Invicta Lambeosaurus, I think it would work better if all the figures used were painted.
6. What figure are you suggesting for the "Games" section?  I don't want to visit a site I don't know.
7. Perhaps you could have both the BOTM Velociraptor and Chasmosaurus, using each one for a different section?

DinoToyForum

Since avatar_Loon @Loon came up with the idea in the first place, I nominate him to present the final consensus having considered all of the other suggestions. (Otherwise we'll be going around and around for ever!).

Some other things to consider is whether nice clean photos exist of the toys in side profile, preferably with white backgrounds that can be made transparent. The head should also be able to fit comfortably inside a square icon. I would also like a nice variety of colours, as well as taxa.  O:-)

Loon

I've gone through this thread and taken into account all of your suggestions. I'll spend some time updating the list accordingly tonight.

However, I have a question:
Would you guys be ok with the inclusion of a resin kit for the "Kits" icon? I only ask because I saw someone advise against using custom figures for the customs section, as it would favor one customizer over others. Would including a resin kit be a similar case of favoritism?

Bokisaurus

I like the idea of one figure from each company.
I don't see why it would be a problem using a resin kit for the kit section, no different from others.

Loon

Quote from: Bokisaurus on January 09, 2020, 09:27:12 PM
I like the idea of one figure from each company.
I don't see why it would be a problem using a resin kit for the kit section, no different from others.

Alright, could some of you who are really into model kits post which ones would make for a good icon. Preferably from more recent years.

suspsy

Yeah, I'd say it's high time avatar_Loon @Loon stopped taking suggestion after suggestion and came to his own final decision. And when in doubt, go with your own gut. I'm sure most folks will be happy with it. And those who aren't happy will still be fine.

IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Loon

Alright, as avatar_suspsy @suspsy suggested here is the final list from me. I took some of the suggestions I liked, but ultimately, I wanted to represent the most diverse assortment of companies and species possible. This may be the Dino Toy Forum, but I didn't want a list dominated by just dinosaurs or a few major companies.

Dinosaur collectibles
Dinosaur toys (general) - Safari Feathered Tyrannosaurus
Dinosaur toy lines - BOTM Velociraptor
Dinosaur kits - Black Horse Stygimoloch
Dinosaur groups - Mojo Triceratops (2019)
Collections - CollectA Caiuajara
Classifieds - Eofauna Deinotherium

Dinosaurs and palaeontology
Dinosaurs and palaeontology - Kaiyodo Dino Tales Juvenile Parasaurolophus
In the news - Southlands Replicas Thylacoleo
Books, film, and other media - Mattel Brachiosaurus
Museums, theme parks, and other places - Doris the Pliosaurus

Dinosaur art
Dinosaur art - Paleo-Creatures Atopodentatus
Dioramas - Papo Spinosaurus (2019)
Customised figures - Rebor Stegosaurus

General category
General - PNSO Himalayasaurus
Other toys and collectibles - LEGO Ideas Pteranodon Skeleton
Games - Vitae Zhejiangosaurus

Members
New members - Paleozoo Pikaia
Members' board - Takara Tomy Neanderthal

Administration
Reviewers board - Schleich Dinogorgon
Forum and blog business - Recur Dunkleosteus
Dinosaur Toy Forum diorama contests - Favorite Co. Mosasaurus

DinoToyForum

That sounds great to me! Okay, step 2, we need source images for all those figures. Maybe we could collate them in this thread?

Patrx

I know we're still waiting on a list, but I figured I'd get started on a couple of the ones I saw in multiple lists:

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Patrx on January 09, 2020, 11:03:35 PM
I know we're still waiting on a list, but I figured I'd get started on a couple of the ones I saw in multiple lists:

They look brilliant. Actually, there are two additional boards that avatar_Loon @Loon may not have access to or be aware of, so maybe we could use these extra icons for:

Staff - Safari Ltd Feathered Velociraptor
Social media board - Safari Ltd Triceratops

Loon

avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum I had no idea those were boards, but that would work. Then, those species wouldn't repeat for most users. If we wanted to keep the unique animals and companies theme going, we could do this:

Staff - W Dragon Allosaurus
Social Media Board - Nanmu Carnotaurus

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Sim @Sim i understand where you are coming from. Most of the figures used were to correspond to the idea of the board(for example, godzilla is not dinosaur, hence the reason its a canidate for "other collectables"). This is just a rough idea. Also, i included atrociraptor instead of velociraptor because i believe we should show more obscure species. Feel free to change it up.

Killekor

Quote from: Loon on January 09, 2020, 05:25:05 PM
Quote from: Killekor on January 09, 2020, 04:54:43 PM

That doesn't make any sense. What's so different about a Lego toy to make it a separate category? A Lego Tyrannosaurus is still a toy dinosaur so unless this suddenly becomes the "Anything But Dino Toy Forum", it counts.

Because when I normally see a dinosaur toy from any brand the first thing I think is "it's a dinosaur!", but when I see a LEGO dinosaur the first thing I think is "it's a LEGO model". LEGO can do whatever they want, but their style is too distinctive to give their models that "live thing" illusion I see (and I like to see) in a Safari, CollectA or even Schleich model. LEGO is always LEGO, and the nature of their models cannot be changed.

That doesn't mean that LEGO figures aren't great for their own. There was i time when I was an appassionate LEGO collector, and I bought a lot of their models before discovering dinosaur toys and changing my preferences. But I just can't consider them dinosaur toys of the same kind of the others; I consider them in a different category as I consider in a different category also plush toys.

Anyways, I really like your definitive icon list avatar_Loon @Loon , and I also appreciated a lot your new signature (lol)! Why don't you choose for the "games" board the Papo Giganotosaurus? It's the most funny model I've ever read of in this forum!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Loon

Quote from: Killekor on January 10, 2020, 10:07:54 AM
Anyways, I really like your definitive icon list avatar_Loon @Loon , and I also appreciated a lot your new signature (lol)! Why don't you choose for the "games" board the Papo Giganotosaurus? It's the most funny model I've ever read of in this forum!

Killekor

Thanks. I didn't put the Giganotosaurus because that figure's already represented in the forum banner.

Patrx

Are people pretty happy with this list? If so, I can get started making the icons right away :)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.