News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Appalacian dinosaurs are underrated

Started by Brocc21, August 14, 2018, 01:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brocc21

So I live in what was Appalachia. The ancient continent from the  cretaceous  And we had some very interesting fauna. In the late Cretaceous Ankylosaurs dominated the west but in Appalachia nodosaurs stayed strong. We had the semi popular dinosaur Appalachiasaurus and the weird primitive dryptosaurus. We had leptoceratopcians and sauronithalestes and ornithamimids. We even had the first hadrosaurs. We had the giant hypsabema Missouri's state dinosaur. Yet we are forgotten and over shadowed. We had the first dinosaur discovered in America. I'm actually righting a little thing about Appalachia when's it's finished I'll show you. What's your opinions?
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Lizerd

Yep, Appalachia is underrated. My guess is that stuff like T.rex overshadowed it. Another issue with its notability is that not much news comes out of it that is extremely interesting. That is my guess, but I'm excited to see what you've written
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Cretaceous Crab

I would definitely be interested in reading it. And if its helpful, I have a spreadsheet of all fauna for late Cretaceous Appalachia, if you're interested. I can email it to you.

Lizerd

I would love to see it! Please share it.
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/

Brocc21

Thanks for wanting to see my stuff but don't try and get to exited. I'm an amateur at this stuff at best. My art isn't great and my righting isn't on the level of Raptor Red. It's probably going to be more of a fun little illustrated book put to gather with fricken staples  but thanks any ways  :).

Lizerd

Lol, I do good writing and drawing but my public speaking is legendarily bad. I'm that kid who when to many people look at me I hide under a table  :))
so, I would say go ahead and share it with us

Brocc21

Its not quite finished yet but once im done I'll show you guys

^
Something that never happened  :/

VD231991

Quote from: Brocc21 on August 14, 2018, 01:51:41 AMSo I live in what was Appalachia. The ancient continent from the  cretaceous  And we had some very interesting fauna. In the late Cretaceous Ankylosaurs dominated the west but in Appalachia nodosaurs stayed strong. We had the semi popular dinosaur Appalachiasaurus and the weird primitive dryptosaurus. We had leptoceratopcians and sauronithalestes and ornithamimids. We even had the first hadrosaurs. We had the giant hypsabema Missouri's state dinosaur. Yet we are forgotten and over shadowed. We had the first dinosaur discovered in America. I'm actually righting a little thing about Appalachia when's it's finished I'll show you. What's your opinions?

Although the genus Hadrosaurus which lived on the eastern rim of the ancient landmass of Appalachia in New Jersey during the early Campanian is the eponym for Hadrosauridae, the known material of the holotype of this historically important dinosaur preserves little craniodental material, and in some older publications Kritosaurus and Gryposaurus were once considered synonyms of Hadrosaurus, but we know that neither of the former two genera are closely related to Hadrosaurus. I agree that many people don't think too much about many dinosaur taxa found in the Late Cretaceous of Appalachia, perhaps because those dinosaurs were found in coastal and epipelagic marine deposits, but it should be emphasized that the dinosaurs found in the marine deposits of the Niobrara Formation in the American Midwest are also overshadowed by the armored dinosaurs and hadrosaurs from Laramidia.

As a side note, Brownstein (2018) regards the Missouri state dinosaur Parrosaurus (originally classified as a sauropod and initially named Neosaurus before being renamed due to Neosaurus having been already used for a sphenacodontid pelycosaur) as a distinct genus from the dubious taxon Hypsibema (with which Parrosaurus was synonymized by Baird and Horner [1979]), and an abstract presented at the SVP 2020 conference by Peter Makovicky and colleagues (details of which have not yet been published) agrees with Brownstein that Parrosaurus shares no characters with Hypsibema to the exclusion of other hadrosaurids from Appalachia.

Baird, D., and Horner, J.R., 1979. Cretaceous dinosaurs of North Carolina. Brimleyana 2: 1-28

Brownstein, C.D., 2018. The biogeography and ecology of the Cretaceous non-avian dinosaurs of Appalachia. Palaeontologia Electronica 21.1.5A: 1-56.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.