News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Sarcopterygians of the Paleozoic!

Long Ago Studio Rhabdoderma
Scale: 1:1-1:2
Sculptor: David Duck
Released: 2020
Upper Carboniferous
Coelacanths were quite diverse once, yet so much paleo media just drops the somewhat aberrant modern gombessa into all kinds of inappropriate prehistoric settings. Even the markings are often unaltered, despite fossil coelacanths not being known from any environments like the ones they're found in today. The coelacanths found at Mazon Creek were very small, probably juveniles living in an estuarine nursery. Some were definitely young, having been found with yolk sacs still attached. This is an excellent replica of the larger size classes, still small but probably close to the point where they would have moved to some other environment, or maybe just grown too large for the nodule fossilization that one finds at Mazon Creek. The paint job on this model is incredibly intricate and uses a rich palette, simulating the layered appearance you sometimes get from fish scales, which have surfaces of varying opacity.

With Trilobiti's Tullimonstrum. Little by little I'm getting some Carboniferous fauna on my shelves.

Long Ago Studio Tiktaalik
Scale: 1:12 for a large individual
Sculptor: David Duck
Upper Devonian
I got this from Mr. Duck last year unpainted, but he offered to paint it for a fee while he was working on my Rhabdoderma, and I took him up on it. I have a huge backlog of unpainted figures anyway, and I couldn't hope to match this. Given how my last attempt went, it's best I practice on some easily and cheaply replaced Shapeways prints.

With some plausible contemporaries. I can't get over how much like a painting this looks. It was a bit of a wait, but 100% worth it. Unfortunately, Duck doesn't have a web site, but if you want one of these or one of his invertebrates, let me know and I'll put you in touch.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BlueKrono

Exciting acquisitions! David's sculpts are very detailed for their size and he is very responsive to messages. I got a good lot of his pieces last year, but so far I've only completed the painting of one.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Loon

Wow, the paint on that Tiktaalik...

I can't tell what's sculpted and what's painted. You're right about it look like a painting. It reminds me of beautiful painted tiles.

ceratopsian

The Tiktaalik is stunning.  Quite wonderful!  (As indeed is Rhabdoderma.)

Halichoeres

Thanks for visiting everyone!

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 08, 2021, 04:55:47 AM
Exciting acquisitions! David's sculpts are very detailed for their size and he is very responsive to messages. I got a good lot of his pieces last year, but so far I've only completed the painting of one.
avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono I do hope we'll see photos of the result!

In other news, while trying to add these to the reference list on the first page I found that it has been truncated by an apparently new rule that limits the length of posts. With all the URLs, I seem to have exceeded the limit. Trying to figure out how to proceed.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Shonisaurus

Magnificent figures and magnificent acquisitions. I especially like rhabdoderma. Honestly and I know that I repeat myself continuously, but why aren't toy dinosaur brands encouraged to make more prehistoric fish and not just dunkleosteus, megalodon, xiphactinus or leedsichthys? There is very little love for prehistoric fish.

Faelrin

That Tiktaalik definitely does look like a painting. Easily one of the most beautiful renditions of it yet I think.

I think you could perhaps make a google drive spreadsheet (or whatever other options are out there)? Perhaps have it sorted by order and/or family, company, and year, etc? And have that linked here?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SBell

I would like to know more about where to get that Tiktaalik! I have the Paleozoo, but can always use more!

To say nothing of the Rhabdoderma

Halichoeres

Quote from: Faelrin on February 09, 2021, 02:29:11 PM
That Tiktaalik definitely does look like a painting. Easily one of the most beautiful renditions of it yet I think.

I think you could perhaps make a google drive spreadsheet (or whatever other options are out there)? Perhaps have it sorted by order and/or family, company, and year, etc? And have that linked here?

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Thanks, that's a good suggestion and maybe more robust to the vagaries of forum rules, but I like the idea of it being self-contained with no external links. I think I'll end up just adding it to the second post I made in the thread, which is still on the first page. I'm glad I had a backup file in plain-text format! It's out of date, but better than generating it from scratch.

Quote from: SBell on February 13, 2021, 09:26:48 PM
I would like to know more about where to get that Tiktaalik! I have the Paleozoo, but can always use more!

To say nothing of the Rhabdoderma

avatar_SBell @SBell he does almost everything through Facebook, just search David Duck and choose the one for whom I'm a mutual friend. For non-FB users he'll respond to emails, but even when I email him he almost always replies via Facebook, thwarting my efforts to stay off the platform. If you can't find him, let me know and I'll make sure you're put in touch. He has some very interesting things in the works that he's shown me in-progress photos of.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 09, 2021, 12:54:18 PM
Magnificent figures and magnificent acquisitions. I especially like rhabdoderma. Honestly and I know that I repeat myself continuously, but why aren't toy dinosaur brands encouraged to make more prehistoric fish and not just dunkleosteus, megalodon, xiphactinus or leedsichthys? There is very little love for prehistoric fish.

avatar_Shonisaurus @avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus I couldn't agree more! More fish are definitely in order.

Bokisaurus

Very nice new additions, are they 3D printed figures? What's the material like?
The paint looks like watercolor and looks very elegant.

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Halichoeres

Thank you both! B @Bokisaurus the Long Ago Studio figures are resin with acrylic paint, all handmade by David Duck.

Ornithischians of the Cretaceous!

Vitae Jinyunpelta sinensis
Scale: 1:15-1:18
Sculptor: Cheung Chung Tat
Albian-Cenomanian of Eurasia
We saw prototypes for this only about seven months after its description was published, but it took a few more years before Vitae was able to get it out the door. I ordered the baseless version; if there are differences in paint application I haven't noticed any. I didn't have the mishaps that suspsy had; it's in perfect shape. I hope this presages the release of the other prototypes from 2017, especially the marine reptiles.

This confrontation is only anachronistic by 25 million years or so.

PNSO Corythosaurus
Scale: 1:20-1:25 (1:22 bsaed on an average of femur and skull measurements)
Sculptor: Zhao Chuang or someone in his workshop
Campanian of North America
The head is a little too large, although not as outsize as some of the publicity photos make it seem. It's about 5% too long, and probably wouldn't be as noticeable if it weren't topped with such a broad crest. Despite that and the somewhat spindly forelimbs, it's a beautiful figure. The fluidity of the sculpt, the fine but not overwrought detail, the gorgeous paintwork, it's great. Replaces the Safari Carnegie version, which had a really impressive run, 27 years as the best toy Corythosaurus.

PNSO Machairoceratops
Scale: 1:20-1:25
The first figure of this genus, as far as I know. To my eye it's basically indistinguishable from Diabloceratops, but I'll take the word of the taxonomists who are sometimes not even recovering the two as sister taxa! I like the name μάχαιρα as a combining form in animal names, although maybe in this case γιαταγάνι (scimitar) would be more appropriate?

Another anachronistic photo. You won't see the PNSO Qianzhousaurus in this thread; I still much prefer the Safari version.

PNSO Lambeosaurus
Scale: 1:25-1:30
The first Lambeosaurus toy to rival the Invicta's elegance. The legs are even more spindly than those of the Corythosaurus, but I love everything else about it. Replaces the Bullyland version. While we're talking about Lambeosaurus, I always hear people pronounce it lam-bee-o-SAUR-us, but it's named after Lawrence Lambe, an anglophone Canadian who would have pronounced his name "lam" with a single syllable and a silent B. Why don't we call this animal "lam-o-SAUR-us?"

PNSO Borealopelta
Albian of North America
As is often the case, the paint application isn't as sharp as the prototype, but it's still quite good. The head is a little large, but of course it isn't as noticeable here. Replaces the CollectA version, even though the CollectA version is closer to my preferred scale.

PNSO Sinoceratops
Campanian of Eurasia
The Ceratopsidae might have the most complete representation in plastic of any dinosaur clade of similar diversity and temporal range. But I'm going to keep buying them if the new figures improve on existing ones. This one replaces the Favorite Co version, which was a bit small for my taste and had some toe problems.

PNSO Pinacosaurus
Campanian of Eurasia
The bad: The tail strikes me as too scrawny at the base. The color scheme is a little bit too copy-and-pasted from the thorny devil. The good: it's a great sculpt of a rarely done ankylosaur. I like PNSO best when they're making the local fauna that other companies ignore. Replaces the stretchy rubber TS Toys version, which was really just a scaled-down, repainted WWD Ankylosaurus. I'm always happy when a new release improves my shelf this drastically.

I still love 1:40, even though I think 1:40 is dead. But I'm very happy with this generous set of ornithischian releases. I know some have been agitating for more theropods from PNSO, and I'm sure there will be some. But by way of illustration of how lopsided the balance has been previously, I asked my database the median release year for ornithischians and for theropods in my collection. Bear in mind that I almost always have 1, occasionally 2, of every genus, and since dinosaur toys have mostly gotten more accurate and attractive over time, release year is a good proxy for how often members of a taxon are seriously attempted. Even with this recent spate of ornithischians, the median release year for ornithischians is 2014, as opposed to 2016 for theropods. The next couple of waves of BotM ceratopsians might bring that closer to parity.

Loon

That's a definitely a great selection of figures. I'm not interested in the genus, but that Jinyunpelta looks so nice. Also, I really need to get the PNSO Pinacosaurus, you've convinced me.

I definitely agree with your stance on the Qianzhousaurus, the Safari one is so much nicer.

ceratopsian

A beautiful set of photos and I greatly appreciate the opportunity of reading your reflections.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 22, 2021, 05:28:19 AM
While we're talking about Lambeosaurus, I always hear people pronounce it lam-bee-o-SAUR-us, but it's named after Lawrence Lambe, an anglophone Canadian who would have pronounced his name "lam" with a single syllable and a silent B. Why don't we call this animal "lam-o-SAUR-us?"

cuz it's now a Latinized word, so pronounce it as you would in Latin.  :)

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Lovely aquisitions, and lovely write up.if I'm honest, I was looking forward to seeing you get these new figures almost as much as I'm looking forward to getting the rest myself. (I also prefer the Safari Ltd Qianzhousaurus by the way)
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

Thanks for the visits and the kind words, everyone!

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 22, 2021, 03:04:30 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 22, 2021, 05:28:19 AM
While we're talking about Lambeosaurus, I always hear people pronounce it lam-bee-o-SAUR-us, but it's named after Lawrence Lambe, an anglophone Canadian who would have pronounced his name "lam" with a single syllable and a silent B. Why don't we call this animal "lam-o-SAUR-us?"

cuz it's now a Latinized word, so pronounce it as you would in Latin.  :)

Well, all I can say to that is 'harrumph.' (I also pronounce the genus Fuchsia true to the original German, but that's mostly because of how it sounds in English.)

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on February 22, 2021, 06:43:17 PM
Lovely aquisitions, and lovely write up.if I'm honest, I was looking forward to seeing you get these new figures almost as much as I'm looking forward to getting the rest myself. (I also prefer the Safari Ltd Qianzhousaurus by the way)

You'll have them yourself soon enough, I imagine! Some of them took a very long to reach me. One order was completely lost, although the seller was kind enough to refund my purchase.

PS: I added these to the reference list on the front page, which is still being rebuilt after the new 50000 character limit abruptly destroyed it.

Halichoeres

Bony fishes of the Cretaceous!

Safari Ltd Daspletosaurus torosus
Scale: 1:35
Sculptor: Doug Watson
Released: 2021
Have you ever learned of the existence of a band, found their music enjoyable, catchy but not earthshattering, but then found out that their fans are awful? To the point where it's hard to enjoy the band? Sometimes theropods feel like that. When I step back, though, and consciously set aside the people whose enjoyment of prehistory only extends to "who would win in a fight?", I can appreciate this very fine work by Mr. Watson. Replaces the resting version with the goofy grin by CollectA.

Feets don't fail me now! This Struthiomimus is definitely a contender for my most-used comparison figure.

Safari Ltd Baryonyx walkeri
Scale: 1:30
Sculptor: Doug Watson
Released: 2021
Barremian of Eurasia
We went so long without an updated Baryonyx, to the point where I briefly owned the [shudder] Papo version, but now we have so many! This one tops them all, in my estimation. I was on the fence about it, but in hand it reaffirms that it's a sufficient improvement on the Favorite Co version to replace it. After some measurements and consulting the literature, I've kept the Favorite and given the Safari to my friend's kid.

I'm keeping this Neovenator, as CollectA's upcoming version does not impress me.

Vitae "Tiantaisaurus sifengensis"
Scale: 1:20
Sculptor: Cheung Chung Tat
Albian-Cenomanian of Eurasia
According to Mickey Mortimer, a manuscript to describe this taxon was first drafted in 2007, but still has not been published. So this is a nomen nudum, but I get the impression that the known remains are pretty decent. Hopefully Dong et al. will make it official soon.

Unlike the Jinyunpelta, for this one I opted for the base--seems to me a biped is more likely to need it. It stands well on its own, and it stands well on its base with an unobtrusive magnet. It's such a treat to see a therizinosaur done this well. I wonder what the tiny three-toed tracks on the base are supposed to be from. Tiantaisaurus chicks? Little birds? I like that the base is felted on the bottom, so it will be kind to whatever surface I put it on.

FaunaCasts Xiphactinus
Scale: 1:40
Sculptor: Malcolm Mlodoch
Released: 2010
Albian-Maastricthian
I showed the FaunaCasts Muraenosaurus, but that was bycatch from when I went fishing for this Xiphactinus. Shortly after I secured this, after five years of hunting, CollectA announced theirs. I'll probably keep this one anyway, at least for a while. It's a really nice sculpture, and an attractive, fishy color scheme. And it's 1:40, which is always a bonus in my book.

Given its large temporal and spatial range, it's also versatile in dioramas or as a shelf-mate. My copy has a little wear and is missing a tooth, but there aren't many of these in the world, so no complaints from me.

Faelrin

Very impressive haul there. Congrats on getting that Xiphactinus as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 27, 2021, 05:24:56 AM

Have you ever learned of the existence of a band, found their music enjoyable, catchy but not earthshattering, but then found out that their fans are awful? To the point where it's hard to enjoy the band? Sometimes theropods feel like that. When I step back, though, and consciously set aside the people whose enjoyment of prehistory only extends to "who would win in a fight?", I can appreciate this very fine work by Mr. Watson.
Thats basically how I feel about that Rick and Mortimer show everyone talks about. Also I'm sorry people like me have made you feel this way about theropods. I hope people can realize us theropod lovers arent either "feather-crazists" or "awesombros". I used to feel that way about hadrosaurs, but i realised the folks(which i now find very charming) are the problem, not the dinosaurs. The dinosaurs are cool. And always will be.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: