News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The search function (poll)

Started by DinoToyForum, May 16, 2022, 12:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When searching for a common word (that obviously occurs on the forum, like "triceratops") the search function...

Never results in hits for me
3 (21.4%)
Rarely results in hits for me
3 (21.4%)
Usually results in hits for me
6 (42.9%)
Always results in hits for me
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

DinoToyForum

I'm creating a thread and poll to try and get to the bottom of a problem with the search function.

The poll is to get some data to help diagnose the issue.

ceratopsian

I tried Triceratops, Lambeosaurus and PNSO searching the entire forum from the top right button (not the advanced search).  All returned a large number of pages of hits.

Returning to the searching within a specific thread issue: on the advanced search, if I search by member (postsaurischian) and Iguanodon, then his recent post with Iguanodon shows (that didn't show in the simple search from his page, restricting search to within topic selected)

Before I vote in the poll: is this question asking about searching the entire forum (and not the search within a specific thread)?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 16, 2022, 01:52:18 PMI tried Triceratops, Lambeosaurus and PNSO searching the entire forum from the top right button (not the advanced search).  All returned a large number of pages of hits.

Returning to the searching within a specific thread issue: on the advanced search, if I search by member (postsaurischian) and Iguanodon, then his recent post with Iguanodon shows (that didn't show in the simple search from his page, restricting search to within topic selected)

Before I vote in the poll: is this question asking about searching the entire forum (and not the search within a specific thread)?

Thanks. The poll is just about searching the entire forum for now. At least you're getting some results.

Re: "(that didn't show in the simple search from his page, restricting search to within topic selected)". Please could you try that again, searching within the topic from the topic page. I made some database tweaks and it would be good to see if it made any difference.

Faras

Quick search: "This topic" search never works for me, even when I enter e.g. "PNSO" in PNSO thread. "Entire forum" and "This board" works partially as they pick the most recent post with keywords in each thread, earlier posts with keywords don't show up though. "Members" seems fine :)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Faras on May 16, 2022, 02:05:20 PMQuick search: "This topic" search never works for me, even when I enter e.g. "PNSO" in PNSO thread. "Entire forum" and "This board" works partially as they pick the most recent post with keywords in each thread, earlier posts with keywords don't show up though. "Members" seems fine :)

Thanks, a question for you and the other members experiencing the problem with "This topic" searches, are you all using Chrome browser? I know avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian is.

BrontoScorpio

I am using FIREFOX.

And I see people are mixing searching by a member with searching at a thread ...

Faras

Just tried Chrome and Microsoft Edge, seems I got same problem on both of them.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on May 16, 2022, 02:32:26 PMI am using FIREFOX.

And I see people are mixing searching by a member with searching at a thread ...

Thanks.Yeah there are different ways to search, depending whether you search in the top right, or go through the menu. Both ways have different options. It's fine for people to try different ways and let me know what works or doesn't work.

I've been able to replicate the "This thread" issue by testing out a Chrome browser so I'm making some progress. I'm still a bit stumped how to fix it though!

avatar_Faras @Faras, that's interesting, what browser did you use the first time when you had success?

paintingdinos

I selected "Rarely results in hits for me" but its closer to 50/50. Some terms seem to work on some threads, others not.

Faras

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 16, 2022, 02:41:11 PMavatar_Faras @Faras, that's interesting, what browser did you use the first time when you had success?

Chrome both before and after forum update. Hmm advance search functions exactly the same as "entire forum", "this board" and "members" quick search, tested on PC Chrome, Microsoft Edge and Android Chrome, default browser (I couldn't find quick search on phone).

ceratopsian

I've returned to postsaurichian's thread to search on "this topic".

1.  Iguanodon returned no results again.

2.  Sen Sen returned no results again.

3.  Tsintaosaurus switched to "entire forum" and gave a result from early in postsaurischian's thread - but not the mention from a couple of days back.

Are we certain that "this topic" = "this thread"?

I use Chrome.

paintingdinos

Ok, captured a gif of what's going on. In this example, I used the search term "Velociraptor" on postsaurischian's thread. Its in the very first post in the thread, but when searched, this post doesn't appear. 2 results do appear, but selecting the 2nd page of results doesn't show anything. I cleared all my cookies/site date for DTF before I did this. Works the same logged in or not.

Gif under the spoiler.
Spoiler

[close]

ceratopsian

I ran a "this topic" search on postsaurischian's thread for "Protoceratops".  It returns Tylosaurus's comment on the first post by postsaurischian himself - but it doesn't bring up postsaurischian's original post. 

It returns no results for "Sideshow".  Again, the topic of postsaurischian's first entry.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: paintingdinos on May 16, 2022, 04:25:01 PMOk, captured a gif of what's going on. In this example, I used the search term "Velociraptor" on postsaurischian's thread. Its in the very first post in the thread, but when searched, this post doesn't appear. 2 results do appear, but selecting the 2nd page of results doesn't show anything. I cleared all my cookies/site date for DTF before I did this. Works the same logged in or not.

Gif under the spoiler.
Spoiler

[close]
Quote from: paintingdinos on May 16, 2022, 04:25:01 PMOk, captured a gif of what's going on. In this example, I used the search term "Velociraptor" on postsaurischian's thread. Its in the very first post in the thread, but when searched, this post doesn't appear. 2 results do appear, but selecting the 2nd page of results doesn't show anything. I cleared all my cookies/site date for DTF before I did this. Works the same logged in or not.

Gif under the spoiler.
Spoiler

[close]

Thanks, that's really helpful.

This is such a difficult problem to solve because sometimes it works, sometimes it kind of works, and sometimes it doesn't work at all. I can't get my head around it. It would be much simpler to troubleshoot and fix if it the search simply didn't work at all, ever!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 16, 2022, 03:26:41 PMI've returned to postsaurichian's thread to search on "this topic".

1.  Iguanodon returned no results again.

2.  Sen Sen returned no results again.

3.  Tsintaosaurus switched to "entire forum" and gave a result from early in postsaurischian's thread - but not the mention from a couple of days back.

Are we certain that "this topic" = "this thread"?

I use Chrome.

Yeah, pretty sure. When it works it works.

Halichoeres

Yeah the within-topic search does not work for me on Chrome or Firefox. It doesn't even seem to be an option on mobile (Android) but that isn't the end of the world since I primarily interact with the forum on desktop. The forum-wide search and within-board search seems to work as before.

On another note, the member-specific search is nice! I had considered requesting it bc sometimes I can remember who said something interesting or useful but can't remember where.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

Always in the search engine of the forum it has given me results of both dinosaurs and companies in an exact way and with numerous search threads. The dinotoyblog search engine is perfect from my point of view.

postsaurischian

The search function doesn't work. It was an important feature to me. and it was perfect until two days ago  :(  .
The picture layout is pretty wild and visually less attractive.
The new DTF is nothing but worse than before, so the change makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm very unhappy with it.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 17, 2022, 08:54:23 AMThe search function doesn't work. It was an important feature to me. and it was perfect until two days ago  :(  .
The picture layout is pretty wild and visually less attractive.
The new DTF is nothing but worse than before, so the change makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm very unhappy with it.

As the poll clearly shows, the search works for some people some of the time. I'm trying to work out why it doesn't work for all people all of the time. For you, it never works, I think the forum gods have something against you. O:-) I'm trying to get to the bottom of it.

postsaurischian

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 17, 2022, 09:16:21 AMAs the poll clearly shows, the search works for some people some of the time. I'm trying to work out why it doesn't work for all people all of the time. For you, it never works, I think the forum gods have something against you. O:-) I'm trying to get to the bottom of it.

My last post was a bit destructive. Sorry for that.
"It never works" isn't exactly true. For example when I go to my collection thread and search for "Giant Salamander" on "this topic" I get zero results. When I go to the collection board doing the same search on "this board" I get at least one link to my collection thread. That's strange.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: