News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nanmu - New for 2022

Started by Bread, October 24, 2021, 03:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sturisoma

Quote from: Sovereign59 on July 02, 2022, 09:02:29 PMIs Nanmu moving away from articulated jaws? It looks like both Spinosaurs and Carnotaurs are lacking them.

This is Nanmu's comment in one of its fb posts:
"Can't say forever, but for the foreseeable future, we won't be designing movable jaws."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on July 02, 2022, 11:47:21 PMI just found out an alumnus of my alma mater discovered a Dreadnoughtus neck bone, so I'm hoping Nanmu will release a DOMINION Dreadnoughtus.

LINK: https://www.wunc.org/science-technology/2014-09-11/nc-state-student-uncovered-neck-bone-of-biggest-dinosaur-ever

Two questions:

1. Are there any rumors of Nanmu releasing a new Mosasaurus?
2. Aside from Papo, has anyone released a Gorgosaurus?

that would be cool if they would.

i haven't seen anything about a new mosasaur as of yet. i would think an indominus is likely next?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sturisoma on July 03, 2022, 04:08:28 AM
Quote from: Sovereign59 on July 02, 2022, 09:02:29 PMIs Nanmu moving away from articulated jaws? It looks like both Spinosaurs and Carnotaurs are lacking them.

"Can't say forever, but for the foreseeable future, we won't be designing movable jaws."

they did have difficulty with them and an added cost..i can see them being ditched.

dragon53

BLADE-OF-THE-MOON:

The complaints I saw about the Nanmu Mosasaurus was that the paint scheme was a lot lighter than the prototype photos. But Nanmu could have solved that problem by releasing a newer, darker paint scheme. Instead, they discontinued it. So that makes me wonder if Nanmu is coming out with a new mold since the Mosasaurus appears to be a popular part of the JURASSIC WORLD franchise.

Sovereign59

Quote from: Sturisoma on July 03, 2022, 04:08:28 AM

Ah, thank you for that information. I've been looking for any sort of comment confirming that from that but hadn't found one myself yet.
It's not a deal breaker in whether or not I'll buy a figure, but it is a bit disappointing. It's really going to make it a difficult decision for which version of a figure that a buy now though. For example, their new Carnotaurus. I'm on the fence about which color I prefer. I think I'm starting to prefer the darker color scheme, but I would prefer the version with both horns intact, which appears to only be on the lighter paint scheme version. And I do like the open mouth, but am I going to want a figure that is permanently displayed with an open jaw, or a closed one?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on July 03, 2022, 04:58:33 PMBLADE-OF-THE-MOON:

The complaints I saw about the Nanmu Mosasaurus was that the paint scheme was a lot lighter than the prototype photos. But Nanmu could have solved that problem by releasing a newer, darker paint scheme. Instead, they discontinued it. So that makes me wonder if Nanmu is coming out with a new mold since the Mosasaurus appears to be a popular part of the JURASSIC WORLD franchise.

The ones I recall are that it was hollow/lightweight and stupid comments about it being made of pvc pipe  ::)  and it's expensive to ship being larger.  If they made another new one it would likely be solid pvc like the Brachio and the resin version would have a lot of possible breakage issues. From that stand point it seems a bit unlikely at this point though I could be wrong. Nanmu has made a lot of choices this year that leaves me scratching my head from a business standpoint. WDragon did also just release a really nice Mosasaur for their JW line at about the same size.

Carnoking

https://lanatime-shop.com/collections/nanmu-studio/products/nanmuspino2-0?variant=42951236387066

Well, pre-orders are up and good lord! So much for the whole not causing too much "economic pressure" nonsense. After getting burned on the brach there's no way I'd be throwing another 200 bucks at Nanmu for one of their Dragon Soul products. I suppose it's moot though seeing as it's already sold out. Oh well, good for them I guess.

Sturisoma

Domestic Chinese price is only 650 RMB. Not more than 100USD I think. I think it's a fair price. I blame the high price on the unconscionable shipping rates. Nanmu has no power over shipping rates unfortunately.

Carnoking

avatar_Sturisoma @Sturisoma Out of curiosity, how does that 650 RMB compare to the other dragon soul series figures released? I don't recall seeing how much the para corpse and rearing brach ran in RMB and I'm wondering if this "new and improved resin" Is compounding things or if this spino really is par for the course (despite being near a hundred dollars more than the corpse and fifty dollars more than the rearing brach).

Sturisoma

Quote from: Carnoking on July 04, 2022, 01:36:02 PMavatar_Sturisoma @Sturisoma Out of curiosity, how does that 650 RMB compare to the other dragon soul series figures released? I don't recall seeing how much the para corpse and rearing brach ran in RMB and I'm wondering if this "new and improved resin" Is compounding things or if this spino really is par for the course (despite being near a hundred dollars more than the corpse and fifty dollars more than the rearing brach).

Sorry, but the para and brach pre-order posts did not have the RMB info. I can only remember local prices for them, and that I did not initially order the para corpse as I thought it was too expensive compared to the much bigger standing brach, but I did get it though. Luckily we get our Nanmu figures at only a little bit more than the domestic Chinese market price (the trade-off is that we only get one release, so no re-stocks). I think if converting from local currency, para corpse was 4850 PHP (~590 RMB now), while resin brach was 5750 PHP(~700 RMB now). Those were the local prices before the war in Ukraine which drove up international shipping rates. So if the resin spino is offered at 650 RMB, I think it is a very reasonable price. It's a big figure anyway. Just hope the recent R&D justifying the price will really keep shipping damage to a minimum, but of course better if we all receive it in perfect condition.
*Resin fence was 4500 PHP (~550 RMB now)

Lanatime mark-up is also quite high, add recent increasing shipping costs, resin spino ballooned to almost 200 USD in lanatime, compared to their para corpse (130 USD) and standing brach (145 USD). Also, lanatime said pre-orders for dragon soul spino will start on August, hence it is "sold out" now.

How I miss the good old sick trike days when we had great sculpt at a great price! However, as a self-confessed spino simp, I am forced to buy these new spinos :))

dragon53

I had not planned on getting the Parasaurolophus, but I just found out a paleontologist from my alma mater found the first intact Parasaurolophus skull.

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO5TeQ7EuCc

Blade-of-the-Moon

100.00 for the regular edition seems about right.  200 for the DS version is also in line with what I had figured with rising costs. It's a good size box too at 20".  I like Lana not had an issue dealing with them as of yet. If it would be cheaper though ordering direct from Nanmu would be a great option.

My question now is do I bother with the base for another 25.00 or not?

Carnoking

After further reflection, I suppose it's not the most surprising price bracket. Supplanter 2.0 (with a base) is right around the same price as the buck rex (with base) and deluxe Mordred. That being said, it doesn't come with all the extra pieces included with the deluxe Mordred and also lacks the added articulation of the buck, but as others have pointed out there are plenty of factors outside of Nanmu's control that will contribute to the final price.

When it comes to the Dragon Soul offering, I was probably expecting that to be in the 150-175$ range, somewhere along the same price as the rearing brach. Even if it's not as big, it still has the unique material to drive up the cost.

At 200$ though, it would be vying for the most I ever spent on a single figure (outdone only by the massive, fully articulated BotM rexes), and that's a big ask when the PVC offerings look just as lovely and come in a pose that I prefer. If this was the only JP3 Spinosaurus out there (or at least the only one I would own) then perhaps I'd give in to the temptation but as is, it's 200 dollars for something I don't need. Oh well, I'm sure all 498 will find good homes come August. Hopefully Nanmu's efforts pay off and they all show up in one piece so they don't have to send out little translucent resin copies to make up for it.

need4swede

As someone who owns both the rearing Brach and the walking version - I honestly cannot tell the difference between them. Am I alone in this? What's the most compelling reason to get the resin Spino, apart from arbitrary collector status? I'm inclined to order the PVC version, but wanted to see if anyone had a reason to convince others to get the resin one.
- Swede

Sturisoma

I will buy the DX since I like the base with the plane. I made a promise to myself to buy bases for all my new figures  :D

Quote from: need4swede on July 04, 2022, 09:30:49 PMAs someone who owns both the rearing Brach and the walking version - I honestly cannot tell the difference between them. Am I alone in this? What's the most compelling reason to get the resin Spino, apart from arbitrary collector status? I'm inclined to order the PVC version, but wanted to see if anyone had a reason to convince others to get the resin one.

I agree with you on the resin vs pvc brach.
As for resin spino, I think the selling point is that you get a slice of the movie with its pose. Nostalgia sells, as we have seen in JWD.
Honestly the pvc spino pose is way cooler. Getting the resin spino would just be a very nice bonus for me, considering only 498 pieces and the public is quite happy with it, similar to standing brach. I feel it will sell out very quickly. No such love was given to the fence after it was announced as resin  :))
I personally would try to get the resin spino, but the pvc is a sure buy for me. I am setting up a 1:30-ish JP 3 spino shrine, so I would like different poses for the spinos.

need4swede

Quote from: Sturisoma on July 05, 2022, 01:50:17 AMGetting the resin spino would just be a very nice bonus for me, considering only 498 pieces...

That's how I see it - just an arbitrary number for collectors. I bought the rearing brach, not because it was made of resin, but because I loved the pose. I can imagine someone preferring the pose of the resin Spino and getting that instead - but I quite like the PVC pose and would be more than happy with it. The ONLY thing that could convince me to pay twice the price of the PVC would be if the resin model had a significant jump in sculpt/paint quality - but Nanmu's previous offerings have all been stellar.

In short, it seems like the resin is just for the 'collectors', while the PVC is for everyone else who wants this new Spino model.
- Swede

Blade-of-the-Moon

Looks like the resin one might be a bit bigger too :

172107(Primary)/172114(Differ): 16.5" L(420MM) X 2.9" W(75MM) X 7.9" H(200MM), Head Height 170 MM / 6.7 inches

172121(Limited): 18.7" L(475MM) X 3.3" W(85MM) X 8.6" H(220MM), Head Height 190 MM / 7.5 inches

Guess size does matter ;D

need4swede

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 05, 2022, 05:42:56 AMLooks like the resin one might be a bit bigger too :

172107(Primary)/172114(Differ): 16.5" L(420MM) X 2.9" W(75MM) X 7.9" H(200MM), Head Height 170 MM / 6.7 inches

172121(Limited): 18.7" L(475MM) X 3.3" W(85MM) X 8.6" H(220MM), Head Height 190 MM / 7.5 inches

I'm not familiar with how Nanmu does dimensions, but could those numbers have anything to do with the different poses of the two figures?

The PVC one has its head and tail facing inwards and leaning forward. If you measure the length of the figure this way, it will most certainly be shorter and its head is lowered from prancing forward, compared to the limited ed. where the Spino is standing more upright with its head and tail both straight.

Again, I have no clue how these dimensions are measured, but curious if that has anything to do with it.
- Swede

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: need4swede on July 05, 2022, 08:49:28 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 05, 2022, 05:42:56 AMLooks like the resin one might be a bit bigger too :

I'm not familiar with how Nanmu does dimensions, but could those numbers have anything to do with the different poses of the two figures?

The PVC one has its head and tail facing inwards and leaning forward. If you measure the length of the figure this way, it will most certainly be shorter and its head is lowered from prancing forward, compared to the limited ed. where the Spino is standing more upright with its head and tail both straight.

Again, I have no clue how these dimensions are measured, but curious if that has anything to do with it.

No idea to be honest hence my "might be" bigger comment. Probably won't really know til we get them in hand.

need4swede

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon

I think you're right. I wouldn't at all be surprised if the poses contribute to those dimensions, even if the limited edition's sculpt is inherently slightly larger.

Apart from the collector status, I don't see a compelling reason to go with the LE - but like you said, we won't really know until there are in-hand photos. I suspect the LE will be sold out by then, but perhaps not. The 'standard' model is looking pretty good to me - will most likely pick that one up.
- Swede

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: