You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: Ludodactylus on July 07, 2022, 01:39:28 PMI should have waited for my coffee to kick in before posting. Just happened to be reading the thread and knocked my knee into the desk hard enough to tip over a couple ornithopods. Apologies for the knee-jerk (no pun intended) comment that left the maybe-controversial part off.

I'm okay with sacrificing some accuracy in posing if it results in a more stable figure that doesn't require a clear acrylic stand or a chunky base. My Terra by Battat Ceratosaurus' tail tip touching the ground bothers me far less than the way my CollectA Olorotitan or Battat Mini-Ouranosaurus do a barrel roll of you look at them funny.

I feel your pain. I recommend not buying the PNSO Corythosaurus if you don't like unstable ornithopods, it is one of the worst offenders, but still a lovely model.

Duna

Quote from: suspsy on July 07, 2022, 01:12:55 PMThere's nothing controversial about that. Everyone wants the same.
Then let's change it for:
PNSO has made the most unstable quadrupeds of all time.

EmperorDinobot

Can they not be propped against one another?

Gwangi

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on July 07, 2022, 02:57:57 PMCan they not be propped against one another?

That's usually my remedy but with the PNSO Corythosaurus is tries hard to slide down along the side of whatever you're propping it against. I literally have to wedge it between two heavier figures, and it still tries to slide. My Safari Anzu has the same problem.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on July 07, 2022, 03:45:04 PM
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on July 07, 2022, 02:57:57 PMCan they not be propped against one another?

That's usually my remedy but with the PNSO Corythosaurus is tries hard to slide down along the side of whatever you're propping it against. I literally have to wedge it between two heavier figures, and it still tries to slide. My Safari Anzu has the same problem.

My Safari Anzu has its right arm gently leaning against the Safari Allosaurus LOL. So far, I haven't had problems with my PNSO Corythosaurus.

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 07, 2022, 04:02:20 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 07, 2022, 03:45:04 PM

My Safari Anzu has its right arm gently leaning against the Safari Allosaurus LOL. So far, I haven't had problems with my PNSO Corythosaurus.

My Corythosaurus stood strong on its own for close to a year but no longer. Standing on glass probably doesn't help it. My Anzu has always been awful. It stands on the back of a sauropod where I can somewhat wedge it on there.

Mellow Stego

Continuing with PNSO...
I love PNSO, but I feel their biggest weakness are head sculpts. There's a lots of models I just won't buy simple because I feel there's  something off about the face. Carnotaurus is a big example.

Still love them though.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Carnoking

Quote from: Mellow Stego on July 07, 2022, 04:43:33 PMContinuing with PNSO...
I love PNSO, but I feel their biggest weakness are head sculpts. There's a lots of models I just won't buy simple because I feel there's  something off about the face. Carnotaurus is a big example.

Still love them though.

I was actually just staring at my Torvosaurus this morning and thinking "if only it had lips". I feel the same way about PNSO's head sculpts being a bit uncanny at times and I wonder how much of that could be assuaged with some extra oral tissue.

Bowhead Whale

Here's an opinion that can be controversial: I don't really care about Jurassic Park...

Concavenator

Quote from: Bowhead Whale on July 07, 2022, 08:18:23 PMHere's an opinion that can be controversial: I don't really care about Jurassic Park...

Well you're not alone on this! Myself, it's not that I don't really care, it's just that I couldn't care less.

The sort of prehistoric life media that I like is documentaries that depict prehistoric life in the same way as extant life is portrayed (i.e. Walking with Dinosaurs, Prehistoric Planet and similar) or documentaries in which scientists talk about certain discoveries like the "Bigger than T.rex" documentary (yes, very awesomebro title but it talks about the 2014 findings about Spinosaurus and paleontologists like Ibrahim, Sereno and Dal Sasso were involved).

Another opinion that might be controversial: I prefer calm and relatively static poses over dynamic/dramatic poses.

Ludodactylus

Quote from: Concavenator on July 07, 2022, 08:38:38 PMAnother opinion that might be controversial: I prefer calm and relatively static poses over dynamic/dramatic poses.

I'm with you on this. I have a couple dramatic figures I love (Papo Pentaceratops, Eofauna Triceratops) but I've come to really love some of my more serene figures.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

EmperorDinobot

The cool thing about super articulated dinosaurs such as BOTM is that you can pose them in calm poses, and in active poses.

GojiraGuy1954

I don't like the articulation seams in the original BoTM raptors, especially the ones on the neck. Thankfully the Cyberzoic Utahraptor seems to be remedying this from what we've seen of it so far.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

EmperorDinobot

Articulation often means a figure will have seams. The only time I have ever seen seamless figures were with the Mafex 6 inch Batman figures. I stopped collecting Batman figures when I got the SDCC Batman Beyond figure. It just made no sense to collect them after finding perfection. Maybe having rubberized dinosaurs once more will solve the issue once and for all.

Ps avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 Shrek 4 IS an underrated masterpiece.

GiganotosaurusFan

Haha!
Imho, Strike and Roar Giga doesn't look TOO bad. Not perfection, but almost there.
Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on July 08, 2022, 10:49:56 AMArticulation often means a figure will have seams. The only time I have ever seen seamless figures were with the Mafex 6 inch Batman figures. I stopped collecting Batman figures when I got the SDCC Batman Beyond figure. It just made no sense to collect them after finding perfection. Maybe having rubberized dinosaurs once more will solve the issue once and for all.

Ps avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 Shrek 4 IS an underrated masterpiece.
Not mad that the seams exist, mad how weird the neck is shaped because of them
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

EmperorDinobot

Yes, you are right. They are funny. I will buy a build-a-raptor some day in order to investigate this issue further.

I do not like seams midline on dinosaur figures. I think BOTM figures do not need them. The seam on the first JW big T.rex, the electronic one, is horrible.

Bowhead Whale

I'm emotionnally attached to vintage dinosaur toys (Imperial, Soma glow-in-the-dark line, Dor Mei) even if they lack accuracy.

Gwangi

Quote from: Bowhead Whale on July 13, 2022, 08:32:23 PMI'm emotionnally attached to vintage dinosaur toys (Imperial, Soma glow-in-the-dark line, Dor Mei) even if they lack accuracy.

I get that. They have the same sort of charm that old dinosaur movies with men in costumes have. I like them too but I don't collect them.

Duna

Quote from: Bowhead Whale on July 13, 2022, 08:32:23 PMI'm emotionnally attached to vintage dinosaur toys (Imperial, Soma glow-in-the-dark line, Dor Mei) even if they lack accuracy.
I like them too and I even have some (by now) but I don't collect them because of their high toxicity levels and I want to handle them a lot. Not sure if the heavy metals can transfer to skin easily and I don't want to wash my hands all time after. But mostly because of their large size and that they are hollow. I'm not very fond of large hollow figures.
But I do collect solid vintage figures from 1991 and on (UKRD).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: