News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Best Figure

Started by Lynx, July 19, 2022, 03:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

As we all know, "best", and "worst", are a matter of opinion, thus this thread will be as well and should be treated as so.
This thread is a place to discuss what you believe THE BEST figure is, and just talk about some overall great figures.

I do not have a particular 'best,' but for me, I think it would be REBORs Kiss and Tusk, for both its price and quality.
An oversized house cat.

Samrukia

do you accept short answers?  ;)

Eofauna Atlasaurus

Stegotyranno420

Mesozoic Life Spinosaurus

Lynx

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 19, 2022, 07:25:36 PMMesozoic Life Spinosaurus

I haven't been keeping track of that figure! Is it on sale yet?
An oversized house cat.

Fenestra

Dino Hazard's Irritator.
I like everything about it.
The sculpt, the pose, the colours, the base, the fish, and the price when I bought it.

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Lynx @Lynx i think it will be available to general public in December.

Pliosaurking

BOTM Adult Triceratops
Sculpt, paint, detail, possibility, size, accuracy, need I say more?!  :)

Halichoeres

Heh, is a figure that doesn't exist yet even eligible?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres it does technically exist, but I understand what you are referring to. In that case, I'd agree with avatar_Fenestra @Fenestra and say Dino Hazards irritator, not a personal favorite  of mine(it's too large, I'm one of those 1:40-1:35 scale nuts) but there is no doubt that it is objectively good based on sales and accuracy.

Lynx

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 20, 2022, 12:46:45 AMavatar_Lynx @Lynx i think it will be available to general public in December.

Alright!
An oversized house cat.

jc_4130

Dragging this thread up again... Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere, but seriously, what is the 'best' big Therapod (I know, I know, yawn...).  All I can find searching on here is people arguing which is the worst  8).  I see lots of hate for the Eofauna Giganotosaurus, but no one really seem to explain why.  I would put a high priority put on accuracy (except for lips, I guess, since the new Rebor T Rex is the only one that has them..)

Dyscrasia

Would it be cheating if a statue is mentioned?
Personally, I consider Sideshow Dinosauria's Tyrannosaurus rex maquette (sculpted by David Krentz) as the best figure, even if certain aspects of it is outdated. It is a beautiful piece that has a unique character not easily found in other 'high-end' T. rex sculpts.

Lynx

Quote from: jc_4130 on October 11, 2022, 03:12:43 PMDragging this thread up again... Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere, but seriously, what is the 'best' big Therapod (I know, I know, yawn...).  All I can find searching on here is people arguing which is the worst  8).  I see lots of hate for the Eofauna Giganotosaurus, but no one really seem to explain why.  I would put a high priority put on accuracy (except for lips, I guess, since the new Rebor T Rex is the only one that has them..)

For why people dislike Eofaunas giga:
Spoiler
Stance was relatively wide and not possible for the animal, bad quality compared to other releases, issues with warping, and something about the anatomy, I don't know for sure, as I don't know much about giga itself.
[close]

I personally think the BEST theropod figure (that I own, as I can't really judge a figure I do not have) design and overall look-wise is the Papo Limited Edition Spinosaurus, such a pretty figure and still partially holds up today.

Best figure accuracy-wise? (again, that I own), may be the BOTM tyrannosaurus.
An oversized house cat.

Stegotyranno420

The PLES is a good choice.
But if the Mesozoic life spinosaurus is one the market, then the former will be toppled. Both are great though

Bread

Quote from: Dyscrasia on October 11, 2022, 03:17:28 PMWould it be cheating if a statue is mentioned?
Personally, I consider Sideshow Dinosauria's Tyrannosaurus rex maquette (sculpted by David Krentz) as the best figure, even if certain aspects of it is outdated. It is a beautiful piece that has a unique character not easily found in other 'high-end' T. rex sculpts.
Such an underrated and sadly forgotten statue, which like you mentioned is due to how outdated it is. It truly is an aesthetically pleasing statue.

Honestly, Eofauna's Giganotosaurus is a toss up for me. I go back and forth on it. Minor nitpicks is what it really receives for the most part, with one being really the jaw articulation. Apart from this issue for me personally, is it the best therapod? Possibly.

I'm picky so there really isn't a perfect figure for me. Thinking about it, I've definitely floated into the category of having figures repainted constantly, which I deem to be almost perfect (personally).

Is there yet to be a perfect figure for me? Eofauna's Atlasaurus is almost there. Maybe a slight repaint to highlight the detail is needed >:D

I gotta agree with avatar_Lynx @Lynx that Mesozoic's Spinosaurus is perfect, but I need it to be released to confirm that.

SidB

Quote from: jc_4130 on October 11, 2022, 03:12:43 PMDragging this thread up again... Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere, but seriously, what is the 'best' big Therapod (I know, I know, yawn...).  All I can find searching on here is people arguing which is the worst  8).  I see lots of hate for the Eofauna Giganotosaurus, but no one really seem to explain why.  I would put a high priority put on accuracy (except for lips, I guess, since the new Rebor T Rex is the only one that has them..)
Some people dismiss the Eofauna Giganotosaurus because of warping/standing issues, but this is an extremely common problem among theropod figures in general. Some dismiss it because it has the older, original skull elongation, but at the time of the figures release, or at least design, that was still accepted. Otherwise, it's a great piece and shows outstanding research. Assessing the quality and value of a figure has to take its context into account. Virtually every dino toy gradually gets left behind by the advancement of knowledge, but some age better than others. This sculpt was widely considered one of the best dinosaur figures of the year of its release.

jc_4130

Thanks for the feedback.  It's ironic that the most popular segment of dinosaur seems to have the least satisfactory figures. It seems like there aren't many home runs in big therapod land.  I do like the PNSO Yutyranis, except for the lips and crappy articulating jaw.  And the Safari feathered T Rex, while probably inaccurate, is a fascinating 'what if' cold weather Tyrannosaurus.  With the rate that things are being released it seems like a good time to wait and see what comes next.

Lynx

Quote from: jc_4130 on October 12, 2022, 02:31:03 PMThanks for the feedback.  It's ironic that the most popular segment of dinosaur seems to have the least satisfactory figures. It seems like there aren't many home runs in big therapod land.  I do like the PNSO Yutyranis, except for the lips and crappy articulating jaw.  And the Safari feathered T Rex, while probably inaccurate, is a fascinating 'what if' cold weather Tyrannosaurus.  With the rate that things are being released it seems like a good time to wait and see what comes next.

It may very well be that expectations are higher with more popular species. Ex. if someone released a Pinacosaurus that was meh quality, I doubt people would go as hard on it than say a Ceratosaurus or Tyrannosaurus.
An oversized house cat.

Mellow Stego

The figure I personally consider to be the best is easily the 2019 Safari Stegosaurus.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Faelrin

So I just caught attention to this now, but like I really can't pick one. Too many I like.

I'll list a few I guess, new and old.

Papo's original Allosaurus has enticed me since I saw it in the early 2010's. And despite its inaccuracies it still appeals to me now. I think the pose and coloration has something to do with it.

PNSO's Parasaurolophus and Lambeosaurus pair so well together. Man I do miss them (in storage now packed away), and can't wait to get them back (whenever that will be). By far my favorite hadrosaur figures ever made so far. In particular I wanted a green Lambeosaurus for years and PNSO did a great job with it. I think the new Deinocheirus might join them in this pile. The colorations on sculpts on all three of these hit all the right notes for me.

Favorite's Cambrian Mini Model set caught my eye back in 2016, and although I only just got my hands on it last year, boy do I still love this set. A great combination of color to catch the eyes and some of my favorite Burgess Shale fauna. Just not all of it is to scale.

Mattel's Brachiosaurus. A childhood dream come true. See it every morning and I haven't stopped loving it.

Edit: Okay two more. Love the original BotM Velociraptor and Dromaeosaurus. So glad I backed the kickstarter for that way back in 2016, and glad the line has become as successful as it is today.

Just loads of others I could list here, but this is a tiny sample anyways.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: