News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What language(s) do you speak.

Started by Stegotyranno420, March 01, 2022, 05:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What langauges do you speak(also which dialect and as your 1st, 2nd, or so kn)

English
39 (92.9%)
German
7 (16.7%)
Spanish
17 (40.5%)
Portuguese
5 (11.9%)
Mandarin
5 (11.9%)
Japanese
5 (11.9%)
Hindustani(Hindi and Urdu)
1 (2.4%)
Bengali
0 (0%)
Punjabi
1 (2.4%)
Thai
0 (0%)
Cantonese
1 (2.4%)
Arabic
1 (2.4%)
Russian
2 (4.8%)
French
6 (14.3%)
Italian
1 (2.4%)
Persian
1 (2.4%)
Pashto
0 (0%)
Tamil
0 (0%)
Telugu
0 (0%)
Korean
2 (4.8%)
Polish
1 (2.4%)
Czech
0 (0%)
Dutch
3 (7.1%)
Mongolian
0 (0%)
Turkish
0 (0%)
Greek
0 (0%)
Other(spoken)
5 (11.9%)
Swedish
1 (2.4%)
Norwegian(both forms)
0 (0%)
Danish
0 (0%)
Icelandic
0 (0%)
Irish
0 (0%)
Welsh
0 (0%)
Scottish Gaelic
0 (0%)
Kurdish (all forms)
0 (0%)
Albanian
0 (0%)
Armenian
0 (0%)
Catalan
0 (0%)
Malay
0 (0%)
Cornish
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Theriz

English is my first language and I speak it fluently. I am currently studying Japanese.

Bowhead Whale

I'm a French Canadian who learned to speak english. This is why, if you read my posts, you will probably notice that my english vocabulary is not as rich as true english-speaking members here. If this forum was in french, that would be a truly different story because, at school, I won prices in french studies. I write practically without any mistakes and my french vocabulary is rather rich. Richer than the average french-speaking person, I must add. But in english... well, I write like a secondary one student and I talk like if I had a big potato in my mouth. My accent is obvious, I sometimes stutter, I often have to re-structure my sentences while I speak (because I think in french) and I sometimes use the wrong word. I even often have to make descritpions of what I'm talking about because, well, I don't know the corresponding english word...

Pliosaurking

BlueKrono

I'm fluent in English and Spanish and used to be in Portuguese, though it's pretty rusty since I left Brazil years ago. I'm also trying to learn French, Arabic and Tok Pisin.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 12, 2022, 11:27:14 PMI'm fluent in English and Spanish and used to be in Portuguese, though it's pretty rusty since I left Brazil years ago. I'm also trying to learn French, Arabic and Tok Pisin.

Arabic really defeated me but my study was pretty informal. I'm at a level where I can sound out words but I almost never have any idea what they mean except for place names.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stegotyranno420

I want to learn Farsi these days, but the script really throws me off.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I have a similar case with Slavic/Cyrillic languages and 90%of Greek. I could sound it out but usually have no idea what it means

Also I don't know why I can't see who voted what when I set the options as such

The Spinosaurus

I speak English and Mandarin fluently, some Spanish, ASL, and French basics, but I am learning more, various Japanese, Korean, and Cantonese, and I took two semesters reluctantly of Latin so I could understand some Latin basics but I want to forget it.

edit: @Stegotyranno, what languages do you speak?

Stegotyranno420

I thought I already, but I'm surprised I didn't haha, I probably said it somewhere else on the forum but

Main language is Punjabi, fluent in English(I write and read better and more creatively in English, probably because of all the latinate synonyms)
Knows some Spanish, some Sanskrit
I can understand Hindi when spoken to but cannot speak back. I can read Gurmukhi, Devanagari, Latin, Greek and Cyrillic scripts and I wish to master Sanskrit Farsi OR German soon. And for some reason I can basic read texts in French, as in understand what it tries to convey

Halichoeres

All Indo-European languages? Get some variety in there!  ;)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

The Spinosaurus

Wow! You know quite a few languages! That's very impressive! By the way, You probably can understand French from knowing Latin, English, and Spanish to some extent.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 26, 2022, 08:35:11 PMAll Indo-European languages? Get some variety in there!  ;)
Never!!! Submit to Dyhaus-Pater or else!  ;)
Jokes aside, if I'd had to pick a non Indo-European language, these will be my options
Turkish, could help in some cases
Arabic, very widespread
Mandarin, extremely widespread and important
Mongolian, just metal!(but very useless)
Japanese, it could help in some cases
Tamil/Telugu/Malayam, all Dravidian languages, they might help in some cases, but I don't think I'm ever gonna go down south(India)

Quote from: The Spinosaurus on August 27, 2022, 01:23:48 AMWow! You know quite a few languages! That's very impressive! By the way, You probably can understand French from knowing Latin, English, and Spanish to some extent.
Thank you :)

The Spinosaurus

Stegotyranno420

As of now, in order of fluency:
Punjabi
English
Sanskrit (learning, and mainly Vedic prose)
Hindi+Urdu (understand only)
Spanish(learning)
German (learning) (This one is interesting, since I learned mainly through music rather than usual methods)
Farsi (Dari, learning)
Arabic (Egyptian, I experimented with it for a while but I decided to switch to Farsi, since I could talk to more people then.)
I could read in Arabic script, and I started calligraphy as well.
Quote from: Halichoeres on August 14, 2022, 08:46:41 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on July 12, 2022, 11:27:14 PMI'm fluent in English and Spanish and used to be in Portuguese, though it's pretty rusty since I left Brazil years ago. I'm also trying to learn French, Arabic and Tok Pisin.

Arabic really defeated me but my study was pretty informal. I'm at a level where I can sound out words but I almost never have any idea what they mean except for place names.

Any specific dialect?

Perotorum

I am a native anglophone, though I can understand and read Flemish, Spanish, Norweigan,Swedish, some French and Italian, I can read some German and Latin, and I am trying to learn Polish, Belarussian, Ukrainian, Lithuanian, would like to learn Ruthenian, Gallician, Livonian, and Greek, though due to the extinction of the former, and the isolation of the latter, I find a great deal of difficulty.

Stegotyranno420

Lithuanian is nice. Such an ancient language. It gives a sense of being pristine and pure.
That is a lot of languages though, how do you manage?

Ikessauro

I am a native Brazilian Portuguese speaker, but consider myself fluent (ish) in English. I intended to learn more languages, almost went for Spanish once, which make sense considering Brazil is in Latin America. But ended up starting to learn Italian, but dropped quickly, I think I lacked the motivation at the time. More recently I've been interested in learning Japanese, so I am self teaching myself with free internet material, but it is going really slow. I'd be satisfied to be able to read basic texts and understand basic dialogue. Not sure how far I'll go.

andrewsaurus rex

I speak a bit of English.   That's it.

ceratopsian

I have a holiday booked in Italy for the autumn and have used that to create enough impulsion to brush up my Italian in a more organised manner rather than just watch the occasional detective series in Italian! Nothing too onerous though, currently just internet course. And Latin reading always takes precedence!

Torvosaurus

English and very rusty Spanish. I read Spanish better than I can speak it these days. I can make my way through Italian when reading, but have to have a dictionary handy, all thanks to the Spanish overlap with Italian, but can't speak Italian at all.

Torvo

Perotorum

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 15, 2024, 05:22:22 PMLithuanian is nice. Such an ancient language. It gives a sense of being pristine and pure.
That is a lot of languages though, how do you manage?

The majority of the languages I mentioned, I can read and understand fairly well, though for me, writing and  speaking are a bit of an issue, though in German, Flemish, and Spanish, I am capable of writing and to some degree speaking in, for Italian, Latin, and French, there are a large number of shared cognates with Spanish and English, so I being at a reading level is fairly easy, same with Norweigan, as it shares alot of cognates with English, and studying etymology for many English words transitions nicely into reading Norweigan, especially with a basic grasp on German, though for Polish, I know a bit of vocabulary, and can say basic sentences, though I want to be conversational, and Polish is in essence a latinized slavic language, and there is alot of overlap between Polish and Ukrainian and Belarussian/ Ruthenian, as for Lithuanian, I have no clue where to start with learning it, but it is very conservative, so it won't have the random loanwords from non indo-european languages such as Spanish or Romanian.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: